Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Any thoughts about how the additional weight and size of the rear (particularly in wind) hydration impacts handling?

Generally speaking it is much improved. Most riders are accustomed to hanging a bottle or 2, as well as a flat kit amongst other things behind the saddle.

The new Shiv's solution takes this same need and distributes it lower on the bike helping improve handling and ride feel. Overtime, the CG lowers even more as you drain fluid which is a favorable thing.

As far as the size goes, the additional counterbalance of the rear reservoir often times reduces the effects of steering torque on the front axis...similar to a disc wheel helping reduce the crosswind effects of a deep front wheel
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks cowboy7 and jayski for your feedbacks

jayski, ton francais est très bon !
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it. The sail doesn't bother me. Seems like a good location and very aero way to store a good portion of your fluids. Love the adjustable base bar. Way better looking bike than a P5X, Andean or Ventum in my opinion. I think tri bikes in general are getting pretty ugly, and this one is less ugly.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Oct 11, 18 2:48
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

Thanks cowboy7 and jayski for your feedbacks

jayski, ton francais est très bon !

Thanks! I can type or write French pretty well but ask me to listen to a french person and then respond...my brain doesn't work quickly enough! I think that's why I like riding bikes and running - just go, no thinking required!
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Did you even read what I wrote? I said carry 4 bottles and refill at special needs.

Why carry so many? I scope out the map and look for aid station locations that fit my needs. I then carry as minimal bottles as possible to keep excess weight down. I don’t want to lug around bottles that I will use an hour or two later. We fight to save all these watts with bike design and clothes but then people put so much nutrition on their bike. Not saying you do that but we’ve all seen people who have enough nutrition to ride across Earth.

I know weight savings is a low priority so maybe this is the mountain bike racer in me where weight is a huge factor.

Quote | Reply
Does anyone know the weight of the bike?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:
Does anyone know the weight of the bike?

Thanks

it was mentioned a few posts back by the guy from specialized (i think)

--> 9kg race ready (no fluid)
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Did you even read what I wrote? I said carry 4 bottles and refill at special needs.

Why carry so many? I scope out the map and look for aid station locations that fit my needs. I then carry as minimal bottles as possible to keep excess weight down. I don’t want to lug around bottles that I will use an hour or two later. We fight to save all these watts with bike design and clothes but then people put so much nutrition on their bike. Not saying you do that but we’ve all seen people who have enough nutrition to ride across Earth.

I know weight savings is a low priority so maybe this is the mountain bike racer in me where weight is a huge factor.

Agreed. I carry one bottle on the bike during a race. There might be a few moments during a hot race I might have an extra bottle of water from an aid station but it’s rare.

Even with all the calories I take in I still manage to do it with just one bottle.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will give you several reasons to consider minimizing use of on course nutrition
(1) you are stuck with whatever they are offering
(2) they are the most dangerous section of most courses-wet, volunteers, biker refilling etc
(3) aero or weight “losses”, if any, may be regained when you don’t have to slow down at an aid station
(4) if you miss a bottle hand up you when biking by, you either have to stop and go back or wait
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I will give you several reasons to consider minimizing use of on course nutrition
(2) they are the most dangerous section of most courses-wet, volunteers, biker refilling etc
(3) aero or weight “losses”, if any, may be regained when you don’t have to slow down at an aid station
(4) if you miss a bottle hand up you when biking by, you either have to stop and go back or wait

all of this.

ive only done one 70.3, but i was very glad i had all my nutrition on board for the bike. the bike aid stations were a cluster.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
As far as the size goes, the additional counterbalance of the rear reservoir often times reduces the effects of steering torque on the front axis...similar to a disc wheel helping reduce the crosswind effects of a deep front wheel

Hmmm...so then for Kona, will they be banned, just like discs? :-/

I kid....I kid...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

Those make sense. I’ve seen many accidents at aid stations. It’s certainly an individual decision. When I train I try to use same nutrition that will be on my “A” race. If it doesn’t work then I do have to find a plan B. Never really had it not work. Also it’s not Just losing aero but also energy to haul around the excess weight.

I find it easy to mitigate the aid station issues by avoiding the beginning of the aid station. We all know there is a technique. Point to the person. Be loud and direct on what want. Be thankful to them when you leave. I’ve never had an issue or a missed handoff in the aid station.

If you do it right the nutrition handoff takes just seconds. I’d rather do that then use energy carrying full bottles. Keep in mind I’m not stopping at every aid station. But this is my personal preference. If others have picky stomachs or nervous around aid stations then of course it makes sense to bypass.

Hard nutrition (gel, blocks, etc) I carry. I only use aid stations for fluid.

Obviously on shorter Races it differs. Sprint doesn’t require any on bike nutrition and Olys maybe just a small water bottle.

Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
You pull the hose and bladder out and clean it with soap and water.

You pull out the tubing, clean it, and have to re-route it back through the frame?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. The hose routes through a channel in the frame making it easy to pull out and put back in.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Yes. The hose routes through a channel in the frame making it easy to pull out and put back in.

Can you post a video showing how "easy" this is?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask GatorRacer since he helped design the bike. I'm only telling you what he said.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My name is Cam - and I'm the Product Manager for the all-new Shiv Disc. We're stoked to see all the feedback about the new bike.

We have some videos in the works to show routing of the hydration system and additional features of the bike. We're busy here in Kona, but I'll do my best to help answer any additional questions you all might have. Keith, the project's lead engineer, has already been on here between shifts at our display to help answer some other questions!
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Cam Piper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cam: there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not the cockpit allows for tilt adjustment. So far, we haven't seen any on ST or LC's bikes and LC runs a borderline mantis position. However, at one point on the EU site the new Shiv was listed as having 15 degrees of tilt adjustment. Could you clarify on this point?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Cam,

Are there any plans to introduce a more affordable version of the new Shiv?

Signed...a happy Shiv Sport rider
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Cam: there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not the cockpit allows for tilt adjustment. So far, we haven't seen any on ST or LC's bikes and LC runs a borderline mantis position. However, at one point on the EU site the new Shiv was listed as having 15 degrees of tilt adjustment. Could you clarify on this point?
Hey GreenPlease

Yes there is a 10deg fixed tilt option. This option adds ~6mm of stack. Lucy and Ben are running this adapter. Tim is also using tilt but an aftermarket solution.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad this is one of the first posts in this thread. The reactions I saw on social media were all high praise, but it's hideous. The parts that aren't hideous aren't anything new or interesting, kind of vanilla. Even seeing a pro riding one was humorous, seemed like it was only because he was obligated to ride it for press pics.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Cam,

Is it possible to pre - order the S-WORKS Shiv Disc but swapping the cranks for different size Dura Ace and also different wheels?

Thanks,

Brent
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BRGUST65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BRGUST65 wrote:
Hi Cam,

Is it possible to pre - order the S-WORKS Shiv Disc but swapping the cranks for different size Dura Ace and also different wheels?

Thanks,

Brent

Hi Brent,

The only model that is currently available is the Limited Launch S-Works Shiv Disc. This bike has our SW Powercranks and Roval CLX 64 Disc wheels. We unfortunately are not able to offer custom options to swap parts. Which crank size and wheels were you interested in versus what is spec?

Also, if anyone would like to see the bike in person, we're still going to be open tomorrow from roughly 10am until 4pm. I'd love to chat through the new details of the bike! Pictures don't do the bike justice once you see it in person!
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Per] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per wrote:
Hi Cam,

Are there any plans to introduce a more affordable version of the new Shiv?

Signed...a happy Shiv Sport rider

Hi Per,

Thanks for the note - happy to hear you're on a Shiv Sport!

We currently only have the one launch edition bike available at the S-Works level. The Elite and Sport models got some updates to their specs and some new colorways for MY19.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick response Cam. On the Medium I would use 165 or 167.5 - 53/39 cranks and Zipp NSW or HED 60/90 wheel set. Brent
Quote Reply

Prev Next