Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan apparently has the lowest sweat rate known to man...if he was fast he'd save time by skipping 2/3 of the aid stations!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap. If I drink one bottle an hour I’d be surprised.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Holy crap. If I drink one bottle an hour I’d be surprised.

I might be a bit of a billy goat but it's what I need to get through it all. I take in like 600 cal/hour during an IM and almost 400 for a 70.3.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Staer wrote:
It wasn't designed to be refillable while riding. You can, but it wasn't designed that way.

See this quote from one of the Specialized guys just a few pages back:

Quote:
The lid does pop off. Refilling on the fly is possible but it’s not a function that we claim due to each riders different setups and bike handling skills.

You wouldn't need to refill it in an Ironman. 2 bottles in the bladder, 1 BTA, and 1 behind the saddle. That's 4 bottles. That gets you through 4 hours of an Ironman and you can refill at special needs or grab on course bottles.

4 bottles seems low. Many go through more, and the longer (slower) you take to ride the more you'll need. Also, for other reasons sometimes BTA bottles don't work well. I have never had success using them nor do I like having them mounted in front while I'm riding. I'm surprised they would not design something that is intended to be refilled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Staer wrote:
It wasn't designed to be refillable while riding. You can, but it wasn't designed that way.

See this quote from one of the Specialized guys just a few pages back:

Quote:
The lid does pop off. Refilling on the fly is possible but it’s not a function that we claim due to each riders different setups and bike handling skills.
You wouldn't need to refill it in an Ironman. 2 bottles in the bladder, 1 BTA, and 1 behind the saddle. That's 4 bottles. That gets you through 4 hours of an Ironman and you can refill at special needs or grab on course bottles.

I think suggesting someone could do an Ironman on 4 bottles is absurd.

That being said. I agree that I don’t think you’d have to necessarily refil. One could make up a concentrated liquid nutrition for bladder and just use water swaps at aid stations in BTA and refill at special needs, etc.

So I don’t think lack of easy refill on this is a deal killer or as bad as many say. Especially considering how few bikes have integrated hydration, this is a win if it’s actually easy to use, clean, and aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. I can throw down 4:40 half ironmans and only drink 2-2.5 bottles on the bike.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you even read what I wrote? I said carry 4 bottles and refill at special needs.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
I think suggesting someone could do an Ironman on 4 bottles is absurd.

This is a bit of a generalisation, different strategies work for different people. In my last IM I went through maybe just over 1.5l total fluid and that's about normal for me. Sometimes I may go through 2l. I may be an outlier but to suggest it's absurd is incorrect.

In terms of bikes I just want a fast, minimal bike that allows me to make choices as to where I carry my nutrition and fluid rather than integration that I don't particularly need.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [JulianM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JulianM wrote:
In terms of bikes I just want a fast, minimal bike that allows me to make choices as to where I carry my nutrition and fluid rather than integration that I don't particularly need.

Hey all, JulianM's point is an important one...Everybody's nutrition is quite specific. We have some riders here that use 4 bottles, some use 9 bottles....some do sprints, some do full distance...

The New Shiv provides options for you. The rear reservoir with up to 1.5L of capacity takes those 2 bottles that you would normally have hanging off the back, in a non-aero situation, and moves them into an aerodynamic Fuelcell with a lower center of gravity. This improves the bikes performance and handling of the bike.

There are TT rivets, ST rivets, and BTA options all provided. Of course some will need them, and most will not, but this is the nature of individual specific nutrition.

To make 1.5L available in the downtube would have taken a significantly large frame shape. Doing this would have put the hydration system within a structural member of the frame and likely would have added a ton of weight, and made achieving the ride characteristics we were seeking very difficult if not impossible. The biggest complaint of the old bike (other than not being low enough) was often the size of the bladder and the difficulty to use & install. We think the new option solves those issues.

I think its a good time to mention that the weight of the bike is around 9kg race ready (no fluid). This is significantly lighter than some of the other fully integrated tri bikes out there. One thing I really like about this bike, is that it RIDES like a bike. Its much more like a Venge than a Shiv in a lot of ways and makes it enjoyable. Its not a noodle, and its not a slug. Power transfer is excellent and the steering preciseness makes rolling and twisting roads a blast.

I hope you can see the bike in person and get a better understanding for it.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for coming on here and responding

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I never said wait for the numbers. How about this? What if I said I don’t care about the numbers?

I'd say that's marketing's goal if the numbers for your product aren't noteworthy.

So good job marketing!
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
BryanD wrote:
I never said wait for the numbers. How about this? What if I said I don’t care about the numbers?

I'd say that's marketing's goal if the numbers for your product aren't noteworthy.

So good job marketing!

Sigh....this is just like the cell phone and semiconductor industry.

Everyone wants bigger, faster, better, etc yet you hit a point where you just can't and the %diff is so small it's hilarious.

If you can't understand why bike companies are focusing on integration and braking, then I don't know what to say.

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front end looks awesome

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:
Today is probably the launch of the new S-Works Shiv Disc 2019.

Below you can find the first pictures as well the description.

I love it.

New official ride of Uber Eats... It will get to you faster...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll pass...where's the puke bucket?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious to see some aero numbers with a rider onboard. My biggest beef with this bike is the "shoulder" of the basebar. There's no way that's not an aero penalty.

Side note: LC looks awesome! Ryf better watch out!
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like wings!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that I agree with you. The front is aesthetically pleasing and intriguing.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Now that I agree with you. The front is aesthetically pleasing and intriguing.

Progress has been made!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
This is what is hilarious about Slowtwitch.

People want a bike that looks like a Speed Concept or a P5 because they think that's how a bike is supposed to look.

Then, people say, I wish we had integrated hydration and storage and not be UCI legal. Here comes the Ventum. People claim it's ugly, it's stupid, etc. Same thing happened with the P5-X.

Specialized comes out with a new Shiv that has everything you need for racing and suddenly it's ugly, stupid, dumb.

There is a reason that 90%+ of Ferraris are sold in red. It is part of the human condition to have certain expectations, and to often contradict themselves. It becomes easier to deal with when you accept that humans often defy logic.

I am superficial with my bikes, and i admit it. It is step 3 in the recovery process of this biking hobby.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than the fact that the Shiv looks like a Speed Concept mated with a Felt and came out backwards (very ugly).....since the hydration tube is routed through the frame how do you clean it?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You pull the hose and bladder out and clean it with soap and water.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts about how the additional weight and size of the rear (particularly in wind) hydration impacts handling?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Any thoughts about how the additional weight and size of the rear (particularly in wind) hydration impacts handling?

My speculation: It might actually move the center of mass *lower* since it's well below the saddle, and most mass is above the saddle.

And it might move the center of pressure aft and lower being near the back and lower than most surface area.

Both those things generally correlate to good, stable bike handling from my lay understanding of bike physics.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 10, 18 19:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
One thing I really like about this bike, is that it RIDES like a bike. Its much more like a Venge than a Shiv in a lot of ways and makes it enjoyable. Its not a noodle, and its not a slug. Power transfer is excellent and the steering preciseness makes rolling and twisting roads a blast.

This will certainly get me onboard with a new Shiv (once the prices come down and I can get a frameset and build it up.) I love my <old> Shiv but every time I get on my Venge it makes me wish the Shiv handled and accelerated the same way. If you have found a way to make the new Shiv as enjoyable to ride as my Venge then I'm interested.

Prev Next