Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [lenny07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lenny07 wrote:
Looking at possibly getting Shiv Disc, but I am in between a S and a M. Are there specs on the differences in fluid capacity between the two sizes? I see 1.5L everywhere, but doesn't mention less or more based on size from what I can see.

Also I am guessing handling would be affected by size difference. Unfortunately I won't be able to ride each size before deciding, but I am thinking shorter should handle better, or is that backwards?

Capacity is size dependent but it changes about 0.1-0.15L per size

I always advise to Size Up if you can, but the most important consideration in doing so is your saddle height. You can get the same fit on many sizes with the New Shiv Disc but the reservoir system requires you to consider your saddle height.

As for handling, it will depend on your fit. If you have a lot of weight forward of the steering axis (i.e. smaller frame with a lot of reach) the handling is going to be much faster, whereas if you are closer to the steering axis it will be slower....For triathlon, slower is generally better as it takes less energy to maintain a straight line and you arent concerned with ripping apexes on a descent like in a road race.

If you are in between, and your saddle height allows for a MD, that would be my gut recommendation. Of course a good bike fitter should be able to give you the best advice.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! My shop measured by current bike setup today and M seems to fit better based on the options. Merry Christmas to me lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is the front end issues I have found seeing if anyone has good solutions to them yet?

-- the pad spacing does not allow you to run narrow and mount a BTA; you either have to have arms super far apart or super narrow thus not being able to run BTA. There is not middle ground here.

-- Small complaints:
1. I wish the bike came with both seat posts, just had to spend more money to get different offset for fit; at this price point give the consumer everything they need and not have to buy more stuff.
2. The arm pads / cups its comes with are super small and its best if you just change them out to bigger ones; I struggle to understand why companies dont make better arm cups and forces the consumer to go to secondary market (general gripe about standard cups that come on new bikes).
3. Different extension options: once again at this price point would be great if you had different options for different degrees of hand rise.

Currently trying to figure out how to make this front end work, seems to be some good after market companies allowing me to get this workout out. Having small debate if I should just give up and sell the bike off already.

Edit:

Options out there to improve front end: anyone seen any other options:

Ride Synch
SpeedBar
WattShop

Maybe I am just to picky

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: Toothengineer: Dec 24, 19 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same complaints about the armpads. I hated them, never felt like there was enough space to get locked in. I have 51S arm cups on at the moment but they don't fit super great in terms of being able to position them just due to the ways the holes are cut. I was looking at wattshop because they have the tilt already built in, but are crazy expensive.

I didn't like the extensions much either, they felt a bit flat. I went with the Vision mantis extensions and have been pretty happy with thise.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [spectrum5825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 51ss cups on 2 other bikes; had to drill my own holes in them to get them perfect.

The 51ss cusps and the zipps with bring pads a little closer together but specialized did not give enough places to mount the pads/cups so you loose some range of how close you can bring your forearms and elbows together.

I will look at vision extensions; had planned on getting some zipp evo 110 or 51ss ultimates till
Wattshop; ride synch; or drag2zero can get finish’s there’s up for this bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think the Zipp or TR cups would work better? TR just so damn heavy though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The two I'd like to try are wattshop and the TR scoops. Not sure about weight but concerned about having enough room to set them up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question: if we put base bar at up or down angle does it effectively make the bar a little less wide / skinner?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see how it would? Maybe from an aerodynamic perspective it could have some impact?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spectrum5825 wrote:
I don't see how it would? Maybe from an aerodynamic perspective it could have some impact?

No aero benefit from adj angles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m putting the TR scoops on mine when it’s built, at least that’s the plan. I eyeballed it when the frame came in last week, and there appears to be plenty of room to set them up, but I do run a middle width pad setup, so if you want super narrow maybe that’s an issue. Unfortunately I am waiting on wheels until late Jan or early Feb so I won’t be able to confirm the pad fit until it’s fully built, but at the moment it doesn’t look like an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh did you just get frame and build it up?

What wheels did you end up going with?

Yea I try to get pads / arms as close as possible while still maintaining a BTA set up. This leaves about 65-70mm btw closest edges of the pads (I should have checked this before buying). Not measured what the closest you can get pads but my guess is maybe 90-100mm unless you use super narrow mounts that then dont give any room to run a BTA.

I wont be able to add water to the fuel cell while racing do to having my seat slammed against the fuel cell, so only way to get more water while racing is BTA. Guess I could run a bottle on seat tube but that would start negating aero benefits of the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah just got the frame to build up as I have a nearly new Ultegra Di2 set I bought last year for my P2. Moving everything but the brakes over to the Shiv to keep the cost somewhat down lol. Swapping the old 6800 Di2 components back onto the P2 as my backup ride.

Went with the 7.8’s plus a Roval disc as I ride 7.8 now and have been very happy with them. The 321 was a no brainer at like 200g lighter than other discs considering I race hilly courses. Probably will only use the 8 rear for training though. Thought about Roval 64’s but decided I wanted to stay with 7.8’s after much deliberation despite the mismatched front and rear. The 7 front and 321 rear doesn’t look too bad though, my shop just built out two other bikes with those wheels and had some pictures.

I don’t have the need for BTA as I only race HIM and the rear fuelcell will be fine for my needs as I am usually off the bike around 2:30. I believe I saw someone offering spacers for BTA bottles to elevate them over the pads if needed, might have been TR but I can’t seem to find it. That may be an aero issue depending on your extension rise and if the bottle sticks out above the extension profile though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call on Enve I think; Spec is saying those wide forks work best with wide wheel.

Minus the mismatched front and rear wheel sounds like a good set up.

I am finding the sram red hydraulic disk break to have such tight tolerances hard to keep it from slightly rubbing; my other dis. break bike with ultegra disk much easier.

Spacers to elevate a BTA not seen those either, would solve one of my two issues!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, took me a minute to get over the mis-matched wheels when my shop suggested it. Looks aside it made the most sense to me and after seeing the same combo on brand new P5D and FRD builds, the look didn’t bother me as much as I thought it would.

These may work for your bottle problem: https://xlab-usa.com/...66-aero-spacers.html if it gets you enough height. Might even be able to stack more than 1 to get .9” if needed. Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Spacers to elevate a BTA not seen those either, would solve one of my two issues!

I cant find pictures either, but I think Fibrelyte makes them and you can get any height you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Question: if we put base bar at up or down angle does it effectively make the bar a little less wide / skinner?

It has to. The lengh from the pivot point will be length*cos(angle)
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats what I was thinking. The base bar measures 17in wide now, which is seems very wide, not measurement doing a up or down angle but figured would make the effective length smaller.

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What cranks are you using with your frame? I currently run Shimano cranks which won't work without an adapter or new BB of some sort since the OSBB is for 30mm spindles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m using the quarq Dfour91 BB30 crank. The axle is pretty big to be use in BB30, BB86 and BBright frames. I would say is not the best solution because at some point it might cause the infamous creak issue, but currently is working pretty solid with the current BB30 ceramic speed bearings, so I’m happy so far.

The bomb proof solution I think is a Dura Ace crank plus the BB30 ceramic speed adapter. Same as the pro teams use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you have to buy any adapters or anything to use the DFour91 BB30, that works straight out of the box with the frame? If you moved to the CS BB30 adapter for Shimano you are basically throwing away the CS bearings that came with the frame right? The "financially responsible" part of me doesn't want to throw away those bearings lol. Wondering if using S-works cranks or something like that may make sense, although not sure on the shifting with the Di2 derailleur and Praxis or some other brand chain rings. Gotta talk to my shop mechanic I suppose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The quarq BB30 crank comes with spacers and washers for the different type of frames and it works out of the box in with specialized frame and original bearings, so I didn’t buy any adapter but I had to buy a pair of Sram BB30 shields ($15) because did not come with the frame or quarq. Usually these shields come with sworks cranks but for some reason not included with quarq.

I had the same financial responsible thinking and that’s why I choose quarq in order to keep the original bearings, but the shimano option will be better in my opinion. The BB30 adapter will put the bearing outside the frame and closer to the cranks, making the whole BB much stiffer and better power transfer. Also maintenance will be easier. And I know it’s a pain to get rid of a perfect pair of new bearings but you can also sell it here or eBay and recover part of the finance hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True. Thanks for the info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about picking up the non-S-works version. Are folks paying sticker for this? Any deals or upcoming sales that anyone has heard about?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [rhodes42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhodes42 wrote:
Thinking about picking up the non-S-works version. Are folks paying sticker for this? Any deals or upcoming sales that anyone has heard about?
be aware this bike doesn’t have shifters for the di2 on the handle bars, just the extensions. i’ve tried to figure out what junction box this version has and how easy it would be to add the appropriate shifters after the fact and i havnt had any luck.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next