Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wout out msr and stradi

yikes - it feels right if he really targeting ronde and prx but still kinda sucks

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
wout out msr and stradi

yikes - it feels right if he really targeting ronde and prx but still kinda sucks

Yeah, mildly surprising. But maybe he feels he checked the Strade and MSR boxes in 2020.

Maybe he's spooked by MdVP's form in CX, so is pushing all the chips to the middle for Holy Week.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
LuisDF wrote:
wout out msr and stradi

Yeah, mildly surprising. But maybe he feels he checked the Strade and MSR boxes in 2020.

Maybe he's spooked by MdVP's form in CX, so is pushing all the chips to the middle for Holy Week.

Is he still doing one of the stage races (P-N/ T-A)?

Eschewing Strade and MSR effectively is a gamble on the Belgian races only. Hope it works out for him.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Is he still doing one of the stage races (P-N/ T-A)?

Volta ao, apparently. I'd have expected T-A, given he's focusing on the Giro. But maybe it comes too close to the classics for recovery. Also I don't know if Tirreno has any crossover with Giro terrain at all.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 8, 24 9:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
LuisDF wrote:
wout out msr and stradi

If he wins then it would be considered a smart decision but if he loses both then they will rethink this decision over and over imo

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
...Maybe he's spooked by MdVP's form in CX, so is pushing all the chips to the middle for Holy Week.

Helen Wyman made what I thought was an excellent point in their broadcast yesterday:

MvdP started his cross season with peak form. Knowing that Pidcock and Wout wouldn't race Worlds, and that he would have a couple weeks off in Spain to regain form, she thought MvdP was best weeks ago and had actually lost some form the last few races.

No direct confirmation, but in a post race interview, MvdP essentially said he tried not to go too hard at Zonhoven and he was really looking forward to training in Spain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
But maybe he feels he checked the Strade and MSR boxes in 2020.

That was my thought. Unfinished business elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
LuisDF wrote:
wout out msr and stradi

IMO Wout problems have less to do with form more to do with brains IMO - closing the gaps during MSR while mvpd was on his wheel. Not going full out when mvpd has the mishap during ronde and taking turns on the front with pogi...

During worlds he was also taking turns while Evenpol is on the group behind chasing? why?

mvpd has destroyed the guy 99% of the times when both are racing so just taking a few extra weeks "off" may not do much for him.

I'm a wout guy but mvpd right now is fitter, skinnier, sharper and it has that "it" to know when is time to attack during important races.

Last edited by: LuisDF: Jan 8, 24 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And his spring ends on April 6 while Wout's is literally cranking up.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
And his spring ends on April 6 while Wout's is literally cranking up.

and GT (not GC really) aspirations....hard to be everything
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

and GT (not GC really) aspirations.

I'm sort of confused by how it's a "main goal of the season," but there's no GC chase. Does that just mean Wout is going to try to get as many stage wins as possible?

I guess I like it, Wout treating most stages as a one-day. Though it'd kind of suck for a Lisa Bike GC guy, say maybe the new guy Cian, to not have Wout on domestique duty. But maybe the team had to do this to pay back Wout for keeping him on relative lockdown in prior Grand Tours. Ego management and all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
New year, same Mathieu.

I hope the nose from the women's race is OK! The face-plant is one of least fun ways to fall off your bike.

Yeah at this point with Mathieu it's just the suspense of trying to predict which course feature he's going to use for his orbital nuke. I predicted the right one this time.

trek just confirmed: lucinda's nose is broken, but she's not having any major trouble with breathing so she's going to try for dutch national champs this weekend.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

trek just confirmed: lucinda's nose is broken, but she's not having any major trouble with breathing so she's going to try for dutch national champs this weekend.

Lucinda is a certified HardWomanแต€แดน.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think he realized that in โ€˜23. He was so good wire-to-wire in โ€˜22 that it almost seemed like that level you can only hit a few times in career. Then he tried to do it again last year and was never really all there. Seems like MvdP realized it and how he approached last season by picking the right moments.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
22 Wout was something magic - I wish he can get to that level again

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something to ponder in the middle of your intervals.
https://www.instagram.com/...gsh=NTg4dDFibXc1d3pt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
22 Wout was something magic - I wish he can get to that level again

Really unfortunate that he caught Covid right around late March, and he still managed to place 2nd at Roubaix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Something to ponder in the middle of your intervals.
https://www.instagram.com/...gsh=NTg4dDFibXc1d3pt

As someone who most certainly was never a sprinter, that is nuts. Over 1000 watts more than I could do for my 1 second all time best.
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Jan 10, 24 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't own a power meter you can imagine your max power as high as you like! This has been my method

The world's only show focused on duathlon ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿšฒ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ
NEW EP: How to Win a 5k
https://podcasts.apple.com/...0739?i=1000641392144
https://open.spotify.com/...1ClQ5bg4dTYQjPdCR7x0
https://sites.google.com/view/andrewdbrown
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [TheDuathlonShow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great idea. I'm going to ditch my PM and start basing FTP based on how awesome I tell myself l am. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
My best 1 second all time is just shy of 1200 watts. Pretty pathetic.

Yeah, mine's just under 1200. Or was. Probably less now. Since it was a keirin video and 1200W is a joke in keirin, my tactic was always to try to "Jason Kenny" the field. Problem is it only (sometimes) works once. As soon as everyone knows you're *that kilo jerk*, you're just a continuation of the motopacing for them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
That's a great idea. I'm going to ditch my PM and start basing FTP based on how awesome I tell myself l am. ;)

Better yet, base it on how awesome we say you are.

Hour record, here you come.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago Chris Hoy was on Zwift and was putting out 1999 watts. I wondered if Zwift has a max wattage limit? I remember him mentioning doing over 800 watts for 8x30 second sprints in training and couldn't wrap my head around that. Regardless of his power, he still couldn't win a Zwift sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
likes_bikes wrote:

Better yet, base it on how awesome we say you are.

Hour record, here you come.

CdA under .1 and hour power of 560 watts at 58 kilos feels about right. I'll ride it Merckx style and crush Ganna.

In real news, Bora is committed to sending Hindley and Vlasov to support Primo at TdF. I'm curious how the rest of the team rounds out. There are going to be some great battles this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
A few years ago Chris Hoy was on Zwift and was putting out 1999 watts. I wondered if Zwift has a max wattage limit? I remember him mentioning doing over 800 watts for 8x30 second sprints in training and couldn't wrap my head around that. Regardless of his power, he still couldn't win a Zwift sprint.

I was at a recent training camp doing some aero tests on sprinters.
They had to do 2x4x30 all out sprints and the 2nd set they were doing 900+ in an aero optimized position. They were toast after the session.
Quote Reply

Prev Next