Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"McNulty asked about some new bike advice then went and won the UAE TT. Can he climb well enough to win the whole shabang?"

If I can get my hands on those sweet new Enve wheels, then I feel at 62 years of age and 105 kilos I definitely have a shot.

How about Bam Bam's stache? He's got kind of a French detective look going on. Very aero.

It's got to be hard for some of those guys coming into the UAE tour off a hard training block to keep their attitudes together riding on Hydration Island and across the desert in the wind.

Vine probably wished he was still in Watopia.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
Jumbo has amassed on paper one of the more crazy spring squads I've seen.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing:

Not sure peak wolfpack ever looked as strong as the JV squad looks.

In UAE I'm not surprised at McNulty's performance, but I didn't see Vine beating the likes of Bjerg and Foss in a flat TT. UAE with the top 3 spots, 2 guys who could win GC and then Yates lurking ominously 28s back. Will be interesting to see how UAE plays in on Jebel Jais tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
"McNulty asked about some new bike advice then went and won the UAE TT. Can he climb well enough to win the whole shabang?"

If I can get my hands on those sweet new Enve wheels, then I feel at 62 years of age and 105 kilos I definitely have a shot.

How about Bam Bam's stache? He's got kind of a French detective look going on. Very aero.

It's got to be hard for some of those guys coming into the UAE tour off a hard training block to keep their attitudes together riding on Hydration Island and across the desert in the wind.

Vine probably wished he was still in Watopia.

I was thinking he looked like Luigi from Mario Brothers. UAE has done some laughably bad national champions jerseys, but that is not one of them.
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Feb 20, 24 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Wurf ftw.

lol I just realized he was on the start list and what this comment was about. I'm betting the house on Wurf. I'll be rich. He gets to do some pretty great races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And there we have it: Luigi McNulty. 10/10

But about that ‘stache… In a “who wore it better” competition, he loses.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat is such a driveling fool and this seems harsh by even his own low bar. I don't necessarily believe this about Alaphillipe, but ole Pat is the last one who should be throwing shade about the booze, let alone going after a wife or partner.

https://www.hln.be/wielrennen/te-veel-feesten-en-alcohol-hij-ligt-serieus-onder-de-sloef-bij-marion-lefevere-snoeihard-voor-alaphilippe-na-mindere-jaren~a15fb1eb/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2F
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Feb 20, 24 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you see the massive chaingeings today?

68T… woooooot

Better chain line for sure!

I have always hate grinding the 11

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s the gist of that piece?

Pat could certainly write a book about management technique, with a special chapter on misogyny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Pat could certainly write a book about management technique, with a special chapter on misogyny.

Gist is that LFF's big contract and his domineering wife destroyed his competitive instinct. But Pat got it back under control by threatening to fire him on the spot the next time he slips up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Gist is, Pat is envious. Who wouldn't be?

But it's interesting to see the LFF in the line up for Omloop. Pat is calling him out and as much as I hate to ever side with the guy, I think he knows what he's doing trying to light a fire under him. It's a pattern with him. Or maybe he's just a blowhard.

I didn't think Alaphillipe fell off that badly last season, he just didn't win everything. Rode well. Pretty high bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, Dr. Pat went to the same med school as Dr. Oz.

Anyhow, it’s difficult to pick which Lisa Bike rider will win this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has an interesting management style, hope to see him back at his best.

On a separate note, I am looking forward to O Gran Camino. TT could be a showdown between Venga and Tarling. Talk about weight and size difference 60 vs 80 kg. I think Venga can take him, but he is likely not 100% fit as he will be peaking in July.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see Jumbo. Their new bars are not done and they are testing base vs future pieces incoming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Gist is, Pat is envious. Who wouldn't be?

But it's interesting to see the LFF in the line up for Omloop. Pat is calling him out and as much as I hate to ever side with the guy, I think he knows what he's doing trying to light a fire under him. It's a pattern with him. Or maybe he's just a blowhard.

I didn't think Alaphillipe fell off that badly last season, he just didn't win everything. Rode well. Pretty high bar.

All. He is inappropriate publicly, but it is shown to motivate.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about Ben O'Connor with an unexpectedly good TT then a win on Jebel Jais?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
It will be interesting to see Jumbo. Their new bars are not done and they are testing base vs future pieces incoming.

right? I feel they can only go up -

new bars and time on the bike should make a huge difference for the tours

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:

Who? I don't see a 'Jumbo' in the list of WT teams?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies. They are now Visma-Lease a Bike, previously Jumbo Visma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don’t need to apologize, we know who you’re talking about. Some people just like to be daft.

The teammates attack never works… except today for Decathalon. Smooth operators, and good call on O’Conner.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Feb 21, 24 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As much as I want to pick LaSporty, I don’t think he has race days yet. Omloop seems like a tall ask.
Wout, De Lie, DVB
Matty Jo, KĂźng

KBK
Philipsen, Ghirmay, LaSporty
Lamperti, DVB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
As much as I want to pick LaSporty, I don’t think he has race days yet. Omloop seems like a tall ask.
Wout, De Lie, DVB
Matty Jo, KĂźng

KBK
Lamperti, DVB

Good picks.

'Loop:.

WvA, Philipsen, Mohoric
Asgreen, van Baller

KBK:

Pinball Wizard, WvA, LaSporty
Cool Hand, Demare
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Omloop
Wout, Kung, De Lie
Lazkano, Turner

KBK
Lazkano, Wout, Wellens
Tratnik, Mohoric
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Feb 23, 24 8:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
You don’t need to apologize, we know who you’re talking about. Some people just like to be daft.

Daft would be too kind of a characterization. Pedantic for the hell of picking nits, all the while lacking the awareness to realize one is pedantic, is a more apt description.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
Omloop
Wout, Pidcock, De Lie
Lazkano, Turner

KBK
Lazkano, Wout, Wellens
Tratnik, Mohoric

Carl Spackler wrote:
Wout, De Lie, DVB
Matty Jo, KĂźng

KBK
Lamperti, DVB

I like the Lamperti and Lazkano picks.

Part of me thinks I'm way too behind the times and that I'm not up to date with my grasp of the current pro peloton. Pretty soon I'll be picking a riders more fit for a retirement squad.
Last edited by: echappist: Feb 21, 24 9:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

The teammates attack never works… except today for Decathalon. Smooth operators, and good call on O’Conner.

Ben O has two wins early and decent help. I hope they play his form right.

Workhorse award goes to Bjerg. What a pull. Still, maybe slowing the pace and opening it up to attacks might have been a better play than controlling but with Yates out, maybe not. Vine looked like he might have been able to go with Ben O if he jumped on it earlier.
Quote Reply

Prev Next