Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone, I created a Slowtwitch league on Velogames.com for 2024

League Name: Slowtwitch
League Code: #943069310
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
Omloop
Wout, Pidcock, De Lie
Lazkano, Turner

I like these picks. Have been thinking of the same podium, and then adding in a real on-form rouleur like Lazkano or Kung. Turner looked great last year and it would be good news for Pidcock if the team had more options. Somewhat surprised Gnarvaez isn't there.

likes_bikes wrote:
Workhorse award goes to Bjerg. What a pull.
That was heroic, I couldn't believe how long he held on, and then it looked like he had finally finished and 2 minutes later there he is again. He kept riding after it finally kicked off and is still top-10 on GC. That dude knows how to suffer. Making the case for TdF inclusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He pulled some amazing pain faces. Well played.

Speaking of playing around, Marion: 1, Don: -1

"Whatever Mr Lefevere's feelings towards me, it's unacceptable to attack our private lives as he is doing," Rousse wrote on Wednesday.

"But no, I don't drink alcohol, never have. I don't drink at parties either, because with a three-year-old, we prefer to be on form in the morning.

"You won't succeed either, as you've already told me, in preventing me from working with and staying with Julian for the duration of his career. I'm passionate about what I do, and I've got lots of plans.

"But I'm telling you, under no circumstances will I allow you to talk about my private life. From now on, please stop talking out of turn and show a little more respect and... class."
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Feb 21, 24 10:27
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the drama.

Although PL arguably crossed a whole bunch of lines before arriving at the "wife line," attacking a dude's wife in the media: nope, don't do that. Attack her to LFF's face, not in the media.

LFF handled it in a pretty classy way. Some dudes might resort to face-punching.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
You don’t need to apologize, we know who you’re talking about. Some people just like to be daft.

Daft would be too kind of a characterization. Pedantic for the hell of picking nits, all the while lacking the awareness to realize one is pedantic, is a more apt description.

Wow, you f'rs sure are humor impaired.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
You don’t need to apologize, we know who you’re talking about. Some people just like to be daft.

Daft would be too kind of a characterization. Pedantic for the hell of picking nits, all the while lacking the awareness to realize one is pedantic, is a more apt description.

The humor is that you fail to see the irony of someone spouting the following (your own post upthread) calling others humor impaired.

Mudge wrote:
There's a line in an episode of Justified that seems appropo... "if you see one a$$hole, you've seen an a$$hole. If you see a$$holes all day long, you're the a$$hole"

Upthread the poster to whom you responded had less than pleasant experiences on the road, but not on the same day, and you threw this daft quote at him.

It follows that 2x/day would certain meet your criteria of "all day long". Substituting "a$$hole" with "humor impaired f'rs", and there's your own standard staring at you.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Mudge wrote:
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

The humor is that you fail to see the irony of someone spouting the following (your own post upthread) calling others humor impaired.

Mudge wrote:
There's a line in an episode of Justified that seems appropo... "if you see one a$$hole, you've seen an a$$hole. If you see a$$holes all day long, you're the a$$hole"

Upthread the poster to whom you responded had less than pleasant experiences on the road, but not on the same day, and you threw this daft quote at him.

It follows that 2x/day would certain meet your criteria of "all day long". Substituting "a$$hole" with "humor impaired f'rs", and there's your own standard staring at you.

Seems I'm living in your head, rent free.
Last edited by: Mudge: Feb 21, 24 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Omloop
Wout, Stuyven, Tratnik
Kung, Theuns

KBR
Jorgenson, van Baarle, Asgreen
Philipsen, Girmay
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely inexcusable that Yates was allowed back on his bike today. They didn't even bother to give him a new helmet. Cycling REALLY REALLY needs to get it together on the concussion side of things. We're going to end up with a horrific tragedy continuing on like this.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
Absolutely inexcusable that Yates was allowed back on his bike today. They didn't even bother to give him a new helmet. Cycling REALLY REALLY needs to get it together on the concussion side of things. We're going to end up with a horrific tragedy continuing on like this.

I agree. Just saw him hit the deck on replay. Awful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they even check him? If they did WTF. That was a brutal high speed impact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:

Come on Mudge, you got busted fair and square, and your response amounts to "OMG why are you so obsessed with me?"

You're not doing yourself any favours here.

As for Yates, yeah that was nasty. In Vine's post-race interview he said Yates didn't even remember the crash. Hopefully as soon as he said that he was pulled, but it shouldn't have come to that.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed him hitting the deck but saw him climb off and wondered what happened. Sucks, but yeah, sucks a lot more for the long-term implications of riders not being watched over about something with the potential to be quite serious.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back to our congenial selves! - tempers are always short before the first big race of the year.

Agree on Yates. Not that it would have been OK while leading the TdF, but putting your rider's season at risk in the UAE Tour is bananas. As just one example one of our favorites - Taco - did not race in 2023 after his Flanders crash. And still has not raced in 2024. As recently as November he was reported to still be battling concussion issues. I really hope he makes it back - always super entertaining in Thomas de Tank-type breaks.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 21, 24 15:10
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or a swift kick to the Jimmy, if Ala has good aim. By airing this stuff in the media, Don seems more like a bully than hauling around a pair.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Mudge wrote:

Come on Mudge, you got busted fair and square, and your response amounts to "OMG why are you so obsessed with me?"

Yeah, no, that's not accurate. Firstly, I wasn't 'busted'. I made a simple joke and some guy I don't know from Adam feels compelled to call me pedantic. He then goes on to scroll back multiple pages in the thread to find a comment to another guy and use that as some sort of evidence that I don't appreciate irony? Why in the fresh hell would he remember something like that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Back to our congenial selves! - tempers are always short before the first big race of the year.

Agree on Yates. Not that it would have been OK while leading the TdF, but putting your rider's season at risk in the UAE Tour is bananas. As just one example one of our favorites - Taco - did not race in 2023 after his Flanders crash. And still has not raced in 2024. As recently as November he was reported to still be battling concussion issues. I really hope he makes it back - always super entertaining in Thomas de Tank-type breaks.

Here's what I want to know...would he have been back on the bike at any other race than the UAE Tour or TdF? I feel like being on that team in this race is the reason why he was put back on the bike.

Another thing I caught today was AJ August getting a taste of echelons on the pro level. He got spat out pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:

Another thing I caught today was AJ August getting a taste of echelons on the pro level. He got spat out pretty quickly.

Though Matthew "not the USAC official" Riccitello was up there with the best - even ahead of Bam Bam - he's progressing nicely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed he did handle the stage and climb well.

I saw a statement from Yates that he doesn't remember hitting the ground and now he has been diagnosed as having a concussion. Who would have thought?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
Indeed he did handle the stage and climb well.

I saw a statement from Yates that he doesn't remember hitting the ground and now he has been diagnosed as having a concussion. Who would have thought?

Sometimes its like a circuit breaker flipping as a defense. You "wake up" again on the ground. His head snapped back HARD and at the car he was definitely dazed. Glad he got off the bike when he did.

Jay "Taylor Zwift" Vine got a shot at the win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:
Mudge wrote:

Yeah, no, that's not accurate. Firstly, I wasn't 'busted'. I made a simple joke and some guy I don't know from Adam feels compelled to call me pedantic. He then goes on to scroll back multiple pages in the thread to find a comment to another guy and use that as some sort of evidence that I don't appreciate irony? Why in the fresh hell would he remember something like that?

In case you don’t know, there is a core of us interacting going back at least five years, some more than a decade.

You are the new interloper here, and you showed up with edginess and rudeness. Further, you dish it but can’t take it. You lob jabs at others and expect others to forget and forgive, and you resort to more trite retorts when called to task. Quite the first impression, which makes you stand out and really easy to remember.

Also, if you think pointing out a minor typo in another’s post constitutes a joke, you must have a miscalibrated sense of humor. And since you love hackneyed retorts, here’s one back at you, learn to read the room. The following might be helpful.

Last edited by: echappist: Feb 21, 24 18:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Mudge wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:
Mudge wrote:

In case you don’t know, there is a core of us interacting going back at least five years, some more than a decade.

You are the new interloper here, and you showed up with edginess and rudeness. Further, you dish it but can’t take it. You lob jabs at others and expect others to forget and forgive, and you resort to more trite retorts when called to task. Quite the first impression, which makes you stand out and really easy to remember.

Also, if you think pointing out a minor typo in another’s post constitutes a joke, you must have a miscalibrated sense of humor. And since you love hackneyed retorts, here’s one back at you, learn to read the room. The following might be helpful.

I've been on ST for a while myself, just not nearly so long or as involved as your clique. Gumbo in place of Jumbo would be a typo. Using last year's name for the team wasn't a typo, wasn't even a big deal, and even @likes_bikes didn't seem to take offense at the joke. You and CD seem to have taken great offense, which I chalk up to being too sensitive. That's okay, I'm fine with not interacting with the cool kids.

I really miss rec.bicycle.racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was Stray Cat.

Louis :-)
Last edited by: louisn: Feb 21, 24 19:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Jay "Taylor Zwift" Vine got a shot at the win.

11/10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picking the artists formerly known as Jumbo is tough, trying to figure who goes when. I am using head and heart putting Jorgenson in both. They have a flare for showing off, and I think new guy lands somewhere on podium one of the two days. I do like Lamperti to figure Sunday.

Omloop
Wout, Girmay, MattyJo
Senechal, SkA

KBK
Philipsen, Benoot, Meeus
MattyJo, Skujins

PS: @ClayDavis, check your PM
Last edited by: WannaB: Feb 22, 24 1:34
Quote Reply

Prev Next