Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: T100 Triathlon World Tour (PTO 2024) [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
To confirm, is the pro race at Escape now gone in favor of the T100 series race? I'm assuming the bike course will be altered as well? The famous steps on the run course.....in or out?

This is their biggest pull as an "iconic" venue. As Jose Skipper mentioned in the. comments, "will they butcher the course" to make it "T100" friendly?

Could do a lollipop with loops in in the park, but hopefully they just leave the course alone and forget about the nebulous 100K distance (I doubt that will be the case)

A flagship event hosted at the famous Escape from Alcatraz triathlon. For sure it will be 100k - I surmise they might make it out towards the outer part of the bike and run course - which seems to be more fun anyways - to keep the Saturday traffic out of anything downtown? Swim at like...China Beach or something? Maybe not - I really wish they would release courses, just like everyone else does lol

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Triathlon World Tour (PTO 2024) [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Thx for posting that interview. JK’s podcasts are not in my rotation so I would have never listened if not for your post.

I thought it was a good interview. To hear they are going to do an specific anti doping program, I’m very skeptical, but that may be way easier to say they are going to do something than actually doing something (they mention specific in and out of comp testing)….I’m super skeptical on that especially when they are going to do in house and getting other agencies to test….which means testing data sorta gets lost imo.

The Malibu race “issue” against SLT (SuperTri now) is imo the only “black eye” against the PTO (in addition to the long delay in releasing the schedule, 3 months “late”). It certainly created a pto vs SLT dynamic whether they wanted to or not by “financially supporting” the old owner.

I wonder what people mean when they say this. You either contract with the host nation Anti-Doping agency or companies like ITA which are under the WADA code. If you do something else I'm unsure that works. Effectively, you need to go to a WADA certified lab.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Triathlon World Tour (PTO 2024) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want an easy to find anti doping testing table that shows when and how often athletes are tested. You can find that on some of the wada sanctioned tests (USADA testing history for example), but I just went to the ITA website to just see how easy to find "testing results". A search came up with nothing. So I just want an easy to find database, now of course that's sorta a pain in the ass because you have many of these athletes in federation protocols, tested by other race agencies, etc; but at some point just have an easy to find anti doping test results page, please. Especially if it's a priority or knotch on your belt that you want kudos for.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Triathlon World Tour (PTO 2024) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just going by what PTN reported that there are 11 wild card slots up for grabs with 3 for the men and 8 for the women. Ash Gentle also mentioned in Jack Kelly's podcast that she's skipping Miami. Chelsea Sodaro and Amelia Watkinson are doing IM NZ. Even if you take out those focusing on the Olympics (Duffy, Knibb, Spivey, Van Riel), it's just weird that the PTO has been hyping the season-long narrative angle the whole time and yet not everyone will be racing in the first race.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Triathlon World Tour (PTO 2024) [runningeconomy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a little odd the first race of the season won’t have the big hitters, but I kinda blame the PTO for announcing evening so late. I also think this is being blown out of proportion. My favorite athletes in cycling, NBA, and soccer/football don’t play anywhere near 100% of the games and nobody has any trouble telling a season long narrative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just going by what PTN reported that there are 11 wild card slots up for grabs with 3 for the men and 8 for the women.//

But I dont think you are. 11 out of 40, unless I just lost all my math skills, is not half, or even near half as you posted here..

And I have some more news for you, there will be no race during their season that has everyone present as you also seem to expect. You use hyperbole wherever you can against this series, do you have some hidden agenda against them? I know there are others here that do, they try to hide it sometimes, but we all know who they are. SO what did they do to get your ire up against the most lucrative pro series ever, in the entire history of the sport?

They have laid out their plans, we know the basics of the contracts of the pros, and there has yet to be one race completed, and you are already disappointed. For me, I'm anxiously awaiting that first race, will be very interested in the wild cards because no doubt those folks will help make the race a little more interesting. And no matter who shows up for their first commitment, there will be a series leader with some narrative going forward to the next stop..
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Triathlon World Tour (PTO 2024) [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having 3 US races in the US, for anyone outside of the US puts them at a disadvantage. So whether they skip the Miami race or the SF race, at some point races will be skipped. By default until we get to the later races, the "season standings" will favor the athletes who show up each race and get max points. So by default all the what 11 or so who are "predicted" to skip Miami will be at a "disadvantage" until they reach their max scores later in the season. So the standings will kinda always be evolving and someone like Ajax is going to have to to "T100 math" each week with the +/- or offset points to actually know what the athletes need to do (my brain hurts from doing the GJ/KZ math for the final US ranking spot, so I'll pass on that math equation, ha; so slightly complicated but not as complicated as the WT standings with 1st year numbers that drop off and then other scores that replace, atleast this is only a half dozen races with the same race weight to figure out).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 19, 24 19:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

And I have some more news for you, there will be no race during their season that has everyone present as you also seem to expect. You use hyperbole wherever you can against this series, do you have some hidden agenda against them? I know there are others here that do, they try to hide it sometimes, but we all know who they are. SO what did they do to get your ire up against the most lucrative pro series ever, in the entire history of the sport?

If you just want an echo chamber talk to yourself people can have different views. So far it is only lucrative to 20-40 pro triathletes not sure who else it benefitting lucratively.

I like pto alot personally but I do think it is about to water down our big events every year like you mentioned not everyone always races but we always know which day they plan to be ready for either way.

Now we are seeing some top guys say “ I am using T100 to prep for kona “ that wasn’t what we were sold or what t100 contracted them for ? We were supposed to get the best vs the best every effort but ???? They can’t race that much.

So we may see some half ass efforts to fill the contract rather then go all in everyone in x day like kona 2019 or even 70.3 worlds 2018. Big big lead ups and top talent all ready to go.

Like someone mentioned top pros don’t bring it every game or make every game but they dont miss in the playoffs and finals and now we have gone from 2 playoffs a year Roth and 70.3 worlds with one championship kona too not sure yet???

5-8 regular season games and a weaker 70.3 , championship in kona maybe and Nice should be a championship but some may agree a playoff calibre. T100 final ytbd. They have to stay healthy long enough.

Old day Germany IM , Texas and Oceanside were Xmas day and thanksgiving day game regular season but big hype and matchups

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Triathlon World Tour (PTO 2024) [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not so sure about this narrative that the PTO has only helped the 20 or so contracted athletes.

They've put the top athletes into a new series which leaves more of the money from all of the other races to be shared around the non PTO contracted athletes as there will be fewer top athletes racing IM and 70.3

Added to that there is now the Ironman series bonus.

It's a win for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I'm just going by what PTN reported that there are 11 wild card slots up for grabs with 3 for the men and 8 for the women.//

But I dont think you are. 11 out of 40, unless I just lost all my math skills, is not half, or even near half as you posted here..

They have laid out their plans, we know the basics of the contracts of the pros, and there has yet to be one race completed, and you are already disappointed. For me, I'm anxiously awaiting that first race, will be very interested in the wild cards because no doubt those folks will help make the race a little more interesting. And no matter who shows up for their first commitment, there will be a series leader with some narrative going forward to the next stop..

Sure forgive me for being far from exact. But 8 of 20 women missing in the first race is for me still a significant number. Obviously, I know that that the athletes are contracted to race a minimum of 5 races plus the grand final so there are bound to be missing athletes in the start lists. But that weakens the appeal of the series if the PTO wants to attract a new audience. If the T100 races are the gold standard events in the sport, why then are contracted athletes skipping some of the events?

In which of my posts have I exhibited a hidden agenda towards the PTO? I've watched all their races even the Collins' Cup. I follow their content on socials and appreciate how they promote the athletes. I want them to succeed and grow the sport. But it doesn't mean that I can't criticize how the events are handled. We don't have to be so polarized on this.

On the narrative, let's go back to the women's race. Say Annie Haug wins Miami. The narrative can be that she won because Ash Gentle didn't race and we'll have to wait until Singapore to see. So my guess is that won't stop unless we get to see the highest ranked athletes racing consistently together which the PTO promised.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runningeconomy wrote:
monty wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:
. . . PTN reported that there are 11 wild card slots up for grabs with 3 for the men and 8 for the women.

. . . there will be no race during their season that has everyone present
[PTO] have laid out their plans, . . . will be very interested in the wild cards because no doubt those folks will help make the race a little more interesting. And no matter who shows up for their first commitment, there will be a series leader with some narrative going forward to the next stop..
. . . 8 of 20 women missing in the first race is for me still a significant number. Obviously, I know that that the athletes are contracted to race a minimum of 5 races plus the grand final so there are bound to be missing athletes in the start lists. But that weakens the appeal of the series if the PTO wants to attract a new audience. If the T100 races are the gold standard events in the sport, why then are contracted athletes skipping some of the events?

On the narrative, let's go back to the women's race. Say Annie Haug wins Miami. The narrative can be that she won because Ash Gentle didn't race and we'll have to wait until Singapore to see. So my guess is that won't stop unless we get to see the highest ranked athletes racing consistently together which the PTO promised.
I calculated upthread that the design (number of regular races and contracted number required to race) means an average of 4 missing per regular season race (7 of them): my revision is an average of 5.3 :) Eight not racing Miami is above average, but on the plus side it does mean that those athletes giving it a miss will be racing one another (and four fifths of the others) in nearly every race.
Gentle made this point in a quality set of answers in Kelly's pod interview which I thoroughly recommend (first 58 minutes): https://podcasts.apple.com/...on-hour/id1595443343
The other deduction I make is that there will be no wild cards available (unless injuries) in Dubai for any non-contracted last chance saloon drinkers. Plenty for the women at Ibiza and a veritable feast for non-IM men in Las Vegas.

All 20+20 will race the Grand Final (on the coast of the Arabian peninsula) together with any athletes who have accumulated points from (guessing) at least two wildcard racing opportunities (I cannot see who those WPros could be, even short course, maybe Waugh if she doesn't get GBR selection).
You ask: "Why then are contracted athletes skipping some of the events?"
(WPRO) Some have Olympic fish to fry (K, D, S). Sodaro and Watkinson have IMNZ. But for the other 3 (LCB, Gentle and one other) because they are super sensibly taking a season long view of the racing and want to put in a solid foundation and use the extra 5 weeks before Singapore to do so. The T100 Series World Championships will be decided on an athlete's best 4 scores (with the GF offering a ~50% bonus). So it makes complete sense to 'make sure' (to the extent possible by racing schedule design) that you're still fully fit in November.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Feb 20, 24 5:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep mentioning this is basically Wtcs 2.0 and in that series you can “miss” races. There’s not that type of narrative when X top person misses.
There is a narrative when what half a group misses a race well not that as the “weakest” field ever but at the same time it imo doesn’t necessarily hurt the overall product. Again athletes are going to miss races. Now do I think you want your very 1st event to be this “watered down” with no shows? No I don’t.

But I think this is a little bit of egg on PTO’s face for sorta waiting so long to announce the series. They have to kinda eat it right now. But do I think it’s going to have a big negative impact? No, it will really only impact the athletes who miss because they lose the chance to offset and that will only create more “season long” drama narrative in final GF; this happens almost yearly at WTCS with 10 scenarios of how the top athletes can win it. So athletes missing races will actually add more “drama” to the season narrative and the GF than if it didn’t.

I also think your going to eventually find out if this truly is around 3-5 years this is going to turn into an “speciality” distance just like itu has become and that you are going to have to be a special talent/personality to think you can just take the contract + “meh” race results while racing a bunch of other “a” events and think you’ll be successful. Eventually I can totally see 3 levels of racing- IM / T100-70.3 / itu and there will be very little cross over top results. Especially if itu moves to sprint distance beginning in LA â€28.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 20, 24 5:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the T100 races are the gold standard events in the sport, why then are contracted athletes skipping some of the events? //

Because they understand the dynamic of the sport in its current setting. So they have offered up some flexibility to athletes that are doing the olympic games, going for Kona or Nice, or some other big event like Roth. In their wisdom they are not forcing the pros to only do their series, which is a good move for now and the future. That is why their athletes will be skipping some of their events, it is for the athletes and the fans. We get to see the most of the best in all of the venues and the 3 really big series, I see that as a win, not negatively as you do.

In which of my posts have I exhibited a hidden agenda towards the PTO?

All of them.. Perhaps it is just how you are, or how you write, but it always seems like you are complaining, and the first race has not even happened as of yet..
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Triathlon World Tour (PTO 2024) [CreativeInkling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CreativeInkling wrote:
I'm not so sure about this narrative that the PTO has only helped the 20 or so contracted athletes.

They've put the top athletes into a new series which leaves more of the money from all of the other races to be shared around the non PTO contracted athletes as there will be fewer top athletes racing IM and 70.3

Added to that there is now the Ironman series bonus.

It's a win for everyone.

We have no idea yet how this works out yet.

But PTO was a pro triathlon organization ( union) at first said the goal was to spread the wealth deeper and give a launching pad for younger athletes to stay in the sport longer to develop, now they are a front pack invitation only for the top 25 men and women.

and without Ironman adding prize money the goal they said out to create would be much worse now.

Like why is Ironman adding money even??? if they pulled all there pro events and left the sport with PTO paying the bills and saying good luck covering the long course pro field without an intake in capital the pro sport side of long distance triathlon would be done.

You say fewer athletes will race Ironman here are some names of the fewer top type athletes that are going to race Ironman

Blummenfelt
gustav
lange
laidlow
magnus
kanute
sanders
skipper
hanson
wild
and others

these guys are the top racers right now already, no? West, long and a few others have yet to move towards a goal of ironman distance anyways.

For pros it is pay day like never before of course, take that money ASAP, for races it will be hit and miss like always but more misses due to too many events to cover in one season. And we will have the but x wasn't there or x wasn't 100% like in 70.3 worlds. were we never did that before ?

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
CreativeInkling wrote:
I'm not so sure about this narrative that the PTO has only helped the 20 or so contracted athletes. They've put the top athletes into a new series which leaves more of the money from all of the other races to be shared around the non PTO contracted athletes as there will be fewer top athletes racing IM and 70.3
Added to that there is now the Ironman series bonus. It's a win for everyone.
But PTO was a pro triathlon organization ( union) at first said the goal was to spread the wealth deeper and give a launching pad for younger athletes to stay in the sport longer to develop, now they are a front pack invitation only for the top 25 men and women.
and without Ironman adding prize money the goal they set out to create would be much worse now.
You say fewer athletes will race Ironman here are some names of the fewer top type athletes that are going to race Ironman [list of blokes]
The PTO laying on the T100 Series has effectively extracted the top 16+16 from most of the IM and 70.3 races, with the exception of an IM plus Nice/Kona for some, and a 70.3 and Taupo, for some.
This means that for all IM races athletes NOT contracted to T100 will finish higher in the prize list; or just 'IN' the prize list (suspect Texas will be the one exception). So a ranked #18+ pro will reap excellent rewards through the season. Go through a selection of the higher level IMs and 70.3s from last year and see how the results would've turned out without the top athletes there.
In addition, as @ CreativeInkling says, there is now the IM Series bonus ($1.7M).
https://www.ironman.com/...athletes-race-series
Effectively, that could be ascribed as an extra $70k for every 70.3 in the series and an extra $150k for every IM in the series (prize purse split 50/50 M/W).
The top #21-40 who are IM capable will, I presume, choose IM Series races: the prize purses are already bigger and there's a share of the Series bonus to win win. In addition the majority in the #18 - #30 cohort will get at least one T100 wildcard which will be an assured $4k (and rather more with a good result).
@TT says:"without Ironman adding prize money the goal they set out to create would be much worse now!" But they have, so what's your point?
This leaves ALL the other IMs and 70.3s and Challenge/Clash and Roth for those ranked #41 up. And these races have the same prize purse as last year.
@TT says: "PTO . . . at first said the goal was to spread the wealth deeper and give a launching pad for younger athletes to stay in the sport longer to develop." Is this the case? I don't recall those words: perhaps your interpretation?
As for 'a launching pad', far too many athletes (especially in one country) are given an elite (pro) licence - their competitive aspirations are laudable but mostly deluded into thinking a pro licence means there'll be prize money hanging on trees. 'Younger' athletes just have to beat the old worn out ones to access that 'wealth'. Their 'launching pad' is the amateur ranks: use its length wisely.

Who is losing out?
  • Challenge Roth, I'm afraid (I think all the other Challenge/Clash races will be fine: and there won't be the top 30 there scooping up the cash so this will "spread the wealth deeper" and offer "a launching pad" for newer pros.)
  • The non-IM capable #20-#40 athletes who will likely just get $5k from the IM Series bonus pool.

But anyway, as I hope I've elaborated, there's more wealth to share and it will be shared far more deeply (ie down the ranking order) than in previous years. Hurrah!
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Triathlon World Tour (PTO 2024) [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But anyway, as I hope I've elaborated, there's more wealth to share and it will be shared far more deeply (ie down the ranking order) than in previous years. Hurrah!//

As per your usual, very well thought out synopsis, thanks for tangling with the negative nellies here. I have lost patience with them for now. This is going to be the greatest season ever for pros, 3 big series and the Olympic Games all in one year!! If you can't make money this year, then you are an age grouper...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few thoughts. I think we have to get over what the initial PTO stood for. Mainly for one big reason- We are a niche sport, no one is going to be able to support "pro tri" with how it is now. So whehter it was #201 being screwed, #101 or #31- someone is getting screwed over. BUT PTO has put more towards pro development than probaly any other organization in the history of the sport for specifically pro's. Now here's the really really cool thing about IM. IM is self supported through it's AG ranks. It doesn't need to do pro tri anymore than it has for decades, yet for *whatever* reason they decided to create a better pro product. Major kudos and for them it's atlest self sustainable because they aren't reliant on a billioniare to fund it etc, they have basically said "lets do it". Now we all think it was sorta to go heads up against PTO and we all sorta nerviously think all that good vibes will erode away if PTO goes away and then IM "pulls" it's big money spending.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Triathlon World Tour (PTO 2024) [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
I'm assuming the bike course will be altered as well? The famous steps on the run course.....in or out? This is their biggest pull as an "iconic" venue.
Could do a lollipop with loops in in the park, but hopefully they just leave the course alone and forget about the nebulous 100K distance (I doubt that will be the case)
A flagship event hosted at the famous Escape from Alcatraz triathlon. For sure it will be 100k - I surmise they might make it out towards the outer part of the bike and run course - which seems to be more fun anyways - to keep the Saturday traffic out of anything downtown? Swim at like...China Beach or something? Maybe not - I really wish they would release courses, just like everyone else does lol
https://protriathletes.org/media-releases/pto-strikes-deal-with-img-to-put-san-francisco-on-new-t100-tour/
"the San Francisco T100, the 100km race (2km swim, 80km bike, 18km run) will be set in the stunning San Francisco Bay area and feature the world’s top 20 female and top 20 male professionals, who will start in time-honored fashion by plunging into the icy water adjacent to Alcatraz Island."
I have suggested upthread that you could get a very decent and spectator/broadcast friendly 16km bike loop (x5 for 80km) to the Legion of Honor hill and turn there.
Baker Beach is in reach for one of the laps: maybe 12km and then a 6km loop out to the tunnel and back (ish).
The Presidio will be an antidote to the pancake parcours of Miami and London, and maybe a taster of the Grand Final's bike course.
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/137257466
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Feb 20, 24 15:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:
CreativeInkling wrote:
I'm not so sure about this narrative that the PTO has only helped the 20 or so contracted athletes. They've put the top athletes into a new series which leaves more of the money from all of the other races to be shared around the non PTO contracted athletes as there will be fewer top athletes racing IM and 70.3
Added to that there is now the Ironman series bonus. It's a win for everyone.
and without Ironman adding prize money the goal they set out to create would be much worse now.
You say fewer athletes will race Ironman here are some names of the fewer top type athletes that are going to race Ironman [list of blokes]
The PTO laying on the T100 Series has effectively extracted the top 16+16 from most of the IM and 70.3 races, with the exception of an IM plus Nice/Kona for some, and a 70.3 and Taupo, for some.
This means that for all IM races athletes NOT contracted to T100 will finish higher in the prize list; or just 'IN' the prize list (suspect Texas will be the one exception). So a ranked #18+ pro will reap excellent rewards through the season. Go through a selection of the higher level IMs and 70.3s from last year and see how the results would've turned out without the top athletes there.
In addition, as @ CreativeInkling says, there is now the IM Series bonus ($1.7M).
https://www.ironman.com/...athletes-race-series
Effectively, that could be ascribed as an extra $70k for every 70.3 in the series and an extra $150k for every IM in the series (prize purse split 50/50 M/W).
The top #21-40 who are IM capable will, I presume, choose IM Series races: the prize purses are already bigger and there's a share of the Series bonus to win win. In addition the majority in the #18 - #30 cohort will get at least one T100 wildcard which will be an assured $4k (and rather more with a good result).
@TT says:"without Ironman adding prize money the goal they set out to create would be much worse now!" But they have, so what's your point?
This leaves ALL the other IMs and 70.3s and Challenge/Clash and Roth for those ranked #41 up. And these races have the same prize purse as last year.
@TT says: "PTO . . . at first said the goal was to spread the wealth deeper and give a launching pad for younger athletes to stay in the sport longer to develop." Is this the case? I don't recall those words: perhaps your interpretation?
As for 'a launching pad', far too many athletes (especially in one country) are given an elite (pro) licence - their competitive aspirations are laudable but mostly deluded into thinking a pro licence means there'll be prize money hanging on trees. 'Younger' athletes just have to beat the old worn out ones to access that 'wealth'. Their 'launching pad' is the amateur ranks: use its length wisely.

Who is losing out?
  • Challenge Roth, I'm afraid (I think all the other Challenge/Clash races will be fine: and there won't be the top 30 there scooping up the cash so this will "spread the wealth deeper" and offer "a launching pad" for newer pros.)
  • The non-IM capable #20-#40 athletes who will likely just get $5k from the IM Series bonus pool.

But anyway, as I hope I've elaborated, there's more wealth to share and it will be shared far more deeply (ie down the ranking order) than in previous years. Hurrah!

I was asked as many to be part of the start of PTO as a pro triathlete they were trying to unionize again ironman, lots of info back 6-7 years ago about it. just several years ago this was the message to pro athletes and ranked athletes 40-100 were pushing PTO races even though they were not a part of it but finally got the hint.

I wrote several times there is more money now which is good and they should get it all while they can but again it's just the top 20M/20 F getting the money it's not trickling or developing especially without Ironman added as you said to the non- IM capable athletes # 20-40.

Roth will have guys in the top 40 likely magnus and Lange and a few others, sponsors want that race and Roth pays to attend. which is then by your logic unfair as that is a tier 3 event with tier 1 guys stealing their income???

It is going to be a great season and I look forward to it all but why can't we discuss a tiering system now were for example if we break them into number PTO ranked #16 will me make less$$$ then Ironman ranked # 3 (that also won roth) and if so will some 10-20 seeds for pto go chase the tier 2 to claim championships??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
I wrote several times there is more money now . . . but again it's just the top 20M/20 F getting the money it's not trickling or developing especially without Ironman added as you said to the non- IM capable athletes # 20-40.
It is going to be a great season and I look forward to it all but why can't we discuss a tiering system now where for example if we break them into PTO ranked #16 will [they] make less$$$ than Ironman ranked # 3 ([who] also won Roth) and if so will some 10-20 seeds for PTO go chase the tier 2 to claim championships??
Not clear what your hypothesis is. Tempted to have a go at what I think it is, but to do so would be undone by a quagmire of assumptions. Here's a go (I have left out any PTO EoY bonuses - that's all gone a bit quiet but all athletes will be eligible to gain them).
Cohorts:
  1. T100 and almost nothing else (six #12ths plus #12 T100 Series bonus gets circa $110k)
  2. T100 and 70.3WC (plus qualifier if not already) (T100 $100k plus ÂŁ10k for #10th: $120k)
  3. T100 plus an IM qualifier/validation (option Roth if already KQ (eg Ditlev)) (T100 $100k plus $25k for NQ race plus #10th at Nice: $125k)
  4. Lange (?Roth, an IM and Kona) ($28k Roth (#1), $20k Texas (#2), $45k for Kona (#3), total $93k)
  5. IM Series plus a couple of other races, maybe including a T100 wildcard (Two IMs= $30k (for 2 x #3), 70.3WC (#8) plus qualifier(win)=$15k, #6 at Nice=$18k, IM Series bonus for #6 = $40k, T100 wildcard $4k - Total = $107k)
  6. 70.3s and Challenges various plus Taupo - 8 races @ $3k average = $24k

https://www.trirating.com/...3-analyzing-results/
Think you might reckon Moench is an example of an athlete who could be a (1) or if not T100 a (5). In practice I think that very few T100 contracted will race more than 2 IM Series races (Matthews has said she'll set out to do so - wish her well) so the top 10 IM Series bonuses will be out of reach for them.
(6) might be athletes like Barnaby, Yeulen
I can see Horseau being a potential IM Series winner. If Matthews (staying healthy) can finish 5 races then that might be enough to beat Langridge, Reischmann and Norden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry can’t do all the math and guess right now but Magnus winning Roth 3 in a row would be a big accomplishment and not overlooked Lange and others get big sponsor pressure for that race and some others.

Freddie funk I believe just said ( I was vacuuming listening to the podcast) he gets more for a 70.3 worlds performance with bonuses than any other race this year .

Also you have remember how hard this sport is and it you chase too many rabbit you may catch less then you planned not everyone is blummenfelt or Knibb ,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:

Who is losing out?

PTO continues to have its Athlete's Union masquerade, although it is less prominent, they still push it. When it first actually got onto the scene as PTO and not PTU/Collins Cup Twitter Account (Aka Charles Adamo's burner) they still pushed the message that they were "Athlete's Association" and then effectively compelled all the pros to sign a "contract" and handover real estate on their race kits to the PTO. Well they did that, and the vast majority never got a dime for that.

They continued this masquerade when they created the bonus pool that only touched the top end of the sport, the rich got richer and money didn't go to developing pros.

And I would push against every single person that they've helped professional athlete development since they are closing off this series to the upper echelon and then key names who aren't ranked high enough to earn a contract on merit. Gomez Noya and Brownlee come to mind.

There are many other ways to spend money to develop athletes, and sorry if I'm repeating myself they've not added money ford development pros, they've only added money to the top.

So what have they done for "game development"? Serious question.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

As for 'a launching pad', far too many athletes (especially in one country) are given an elite (pro) licence - their competitive aspirations are laudable but mostly deluded into thinking a pro licence means there'll be prize money hanging on trees. 'Younger' athletes just have to beat the old worn out ones to access that 'wealth'. Their 'launching pad' is the amateur ranks: use its length wisely./quote]

PTO continues to have its Athlete's Union masquerade, although it is less prominent, they still push it. When it first actually got onto the scene as PTO and not PTU/Collins Cup Twitter Account (Aka Charles Adamo's burner) they still pushed the message that they were "Athlete's Association" and then effectively compelled all the pros to sign a "contract" and handover real estate on their race kits to the PTO. Well they did that, and the vast majority never got a dime for that.

They continued this masquerade when they created the bonus pool that only touched the top end of the sport, the rich got richer and money didn't go to developing pros.

And I would push against every single person that they've helped professional athlete development since they are closing off this series to the upper echelon . . .

There are many other ways to spend money to develop athletes, and sorry if I'm repeating myself they've not added money ford development pros, they've only added money to the top.

So what have they done for "game development"? Serious question.
"There are many other ways to spend money to develop athletes" Perhaps you could suggest some? Take a pro licence and get a $20k handout?
"Athlete's (sic) Union masquerade" Perhaps you could help us with examples of evidence
of this, preferably not years old.
"effectively compelled all the pros to sign a 'contract'" The athletes did this of their own volition. Compelled? Do you mean by saying: "there's going to be a bonus pool; do you want to compete for it?" Note that PTO gratuitously paid out (was it >)$1M flat rate per capita across ?100 top professionals when racing was halted by SARS-COV-2 in spring 2020.
"real estate" All athletes could (and do) advertise the kudos of PTO membership by the logo on their trisuit. Athletes way off the pace continue to do this " Look, I'm a professional!": they don't have to.
"the vast majority never got a dime" and "the bonus pool that only touched the top end of the sport" Well there are less than 300 proper professional (longer than standard distance) athletes in the world (being generous with my threshold for "professional" here: 'elite' maybe), so immediately (May 2020) that assessment is false. 2021 (and 2022?) the PTO EoY bonus pool stayed paying 100 iirc, So a sizable minority DID "get a dime". I suggest providing support to the top 100 is reaching well below the "top end" into the middle of the pack. A fair few will never have won that amount of prize money in a year from IM/Challenge race results.
Dropping down to the EoY bonus pool paying down to top 50 last year increases the validity of your point. I guess with only so much money (NB now upped to $7M), if it's spread too thinly it loses its desired effect. And PTO's model has shifted as they try to meet their strategic aims.
"they [haven't] helped professional athlete development" I have endeavoured to explain (see post above) how athletes choosing to take a professional licence benefit from the T100 tour indirectly three fold:
  • Top athletes no longer scooping IM and Challenge race podia money. (See estimates below)
  • Next tier athletes no longer scooping minor race podia money (because they will concentrate on the IM Series races, if they they're good enough and IM capable)
  • The vision that there is reward if they develop to being seriously competitive elite athletes

Thorsten's analysis (for 2023):
https://www.trirating.com/...riathlon-money-list/
IMs and 70.3s: $4.4M total
Challenge/Clash/other (non-drafting LC): $1.6M total
[I have made approximations, extrapolations and assumptions below, obviously: please go and enjoy Thorsten's very readable and lucid article from which the base data are drawn.]
The T100 (20+20) athletes won (prize money and EoY PTO bonus) $3.7M. Of that about $750k for IMs, $350k for 70.3s and $200k for Challenge+. $2.4M from PTO.
This suggests that there's >$3M of IM&70.3 prize money available next year for all non-T100 athletes to earn, to which should be added perhaps $800k of IM Series bonus money (some will be taken by T100 athletes who race Nice/Kona plus qualifier) plus most of the $1.6M Challenge et al prize money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
"There are many other ways to spend money to develop athletes" Perhaps you could suggest some? Take a pro licence and get a $20k handout?
"Athlete's (sic) Union masquerade" Perhaps you could help us with examples of evidence
of this, preferably not years old.
"effectively compelled all the pros to sign a 'contract'" The athletes did this of their own volition. Compelled? Do you mean by saying: "there's going to be a bonus pool; do you want to compete for it?" Note that PTO gratuitously paid out (was it >)$1M flat rate per capita across ?100 top professionals when racing was halted by SARS-COV-2 in spring 2020.
"real estate" All athletes could (and do) advertise the kudos of PTO membership by the logo on their trisuit. Athletes way off the pace continue to do this " Look, I'm a professional!": they don't have to.
"the vast majority never got a dime" and "the bonus pool that only touched the top end of the sport" Well there are less than 300 proper professional (longer than standard distance) athletes in the world (being generous with my threshold for "professional" here: 'elite' maybe), so immediately (May 2020) that assessment is false. 2021 (and 2022?) the PTO EoY bonus pool stayed paying 100 iirc, So a sizable minority DID "get a dime". I suggest providing support to the top 100 is reaching well below the "top end" into the middle of the pack. A fair few will never have won that amount of prize money in a year from IM/Challenge race results.
Dropping down to the EoY bonus pool paying down to top 50 last year increases the validity of your point. I guess with only so much money (NB now upped to $7M), if it's spread too thinly it loses its desired effect. And PTO's model has shifted as they try to meet their strategic aims.
"they [haven't] helped professional athlete development" I have endeavoured to explain (see post above) how athletes choosing to take a professional licence benefit from the T100 tour indirectly three fold:
  • Top athletes no longer scooping IM and Challenge race podia money. (See estimates below)
  • Next tier athletes no longer scooping minor race podia money (because they will concentrate on the IM Series races, if they they're good enough and IM capable)
  • The vision that there is reward if they develop to being seriously competitive elite athletes

Thorsten's analysis (for 2023):
https://www.trirating.com/...riathlon-money-list/
IMs and 70.3s: $4.4M total
Challenge/Clash/other (non-drafting LC): $1.6M total
[I have made approximations, extrapolations and assumptions below, obviously: please go and enjoy Thorsten's very readable and lucid article from which the base data are drawn.]
The T100 (20+20) athletes won (prize money and EoY PTO bonus) $3.7M. Of that about $750k for IMs, $350k for 70.3s and $200k for Challenge+. $2.4M from PTO.
This suggests that there's >$3M of IM&70.3 prize money available next year for all non-T100 athletes to earn, to which should be added perhaps $800k of IM Series bonus money (some will be taken by T100 athletes who race Nice/Kona plus qualifier) plus most of the $1.6M Challenge et al prize money.

One thing I've been about this whole thing is consistent. So either you've not paid attention or are just willing to forgive the nonsense. When they first came out and launched which was pre-pandemic. They pushed the message of being a representative body for athletes and still were incredibly aggressive towards Ironman even though their "athlete board" chair was an Ironman Foundation ambassador and gladly took that money.

Is there more money in the ecosystem? I'd argue no. Sponsor money is drying up with a lot of brands sponsoring athletes less and less. First it was shoes, and now it's bikes. Sponsorship is pretty concentrated and even then how much are athletes getting from "The Feed" is up for debate.

The top end is still getting paid if not PAID. But money has fallen out of the bottom. So you want the sport to grow? That means there needs to be money in the lower tier. Olympic Distance non-draft no longer exists for pros.

So, yeah Development pros needed the 20k handout during the pandemic. Instead the Frodeno's of the world got 100k.

You could say that development of the professional game is not their responsibility and that it should fall on a federation and I'd argue against that. The mission of the federation is to grow the entire ecosystem. Not just professionals.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raises hand- I’m forgiving them. I’m not going to beat them over the head every time for how they behaved in their infancy to get their foot in the door.

They are trying to make a professional series work that is imo doing it in a way that atleast is above reproach. This isn’t some island house “friends” only approach. They are at min trying to do it in as professional of a manner as they can. It may fail, but I think for the most part are doing best they can. They pivot off a bad idea quickly (Collins Cup) and they do have some hiccups. But I don’t think those hiccups are as bad as suggested by some.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next