Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt to the lead through the first run split (maybe 2.5k). His 5k run has been on point the last few weeks, it'll be interesting to see how he manages 10k.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd behind Lehmann who took it home from a ways out to win by 10s.

Matt said in post race that the bike hills (and some on run) took it out of him. I think he said he threw up on the run.

I dont think he's racing Cagliari (he's not on start list) and just raced 3 straight weeks and mentioned he's going back to US now.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taylor Knibb is back on the start list for the next WTCS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, he's heading home and then is supposed to do some races next month.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He must have gotten some decent Olympic points on this 3-race swing, right? World Cup podiums matter?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes he moved up a bunch this period, he'll probaly move up to fringe top 15th, as he was 20th coming into this weekend.

Just need to get Pearson racing. He's gotta bring it when he shows up.

Seth Rider finished 15th today, so he's likely only going to stay in the ~40's in the olympic ranking.

ETA: Like I said the US "sucks" because the 2 best Americans didn't race the 1st half of the season, with Pearson still not having raced. A healthy Pearson and McElroy will get regular top 15 finishes and the necessary points to be fine for the federation. However at this point, I wonder what the psyche is for Pearson.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 11, 22 15:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the goal for qualifying 3 - getting 3 in the top 40, top 30?

It’ll be good to get McDowell out there as well.

Morgan was at the Boa tent at Nationals in Milwaukee and I was able to have a good conversation. Sounded like his head was in a good place. He had a walking boot that he took on and off - said he could run, but was being careful.

It sounded like he was trying to play it smart with racing and be at his best for the fall WCTS stuff.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe you need 3 in the top 30.

McDowell certainly has a chance, but I dont think he has the ability to get "big" points in races. If your consistently in the 10-20's, that's consistent good points, but if you miss races, you can then slide down pretty easily. But 1 podium WTCS finish pretty much is all you need to then make big jumps. Just imo I dont think McDowell has that ability. I think he has more "consistent" race result ability. He's finished 10th 2 times the past 2 years in WTCS (and yes I know he got 5th in the Olympics).

He got covid, and that's no joke. Look at a guy like Gomez, has he even returned to racing yet and I believe he got it in May. The "long" covid really seems to take it out of you, but I dont know what he was diagnosed with. Some come back after a short break, but the ones who really struggled it's seemed to really take it out of them.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I dont think she (Taylor Kbibb) has the run to be a real threat in the individual race, but she can be a great addition to an MTR team as the 2nd leg of likely being able to pull back any 1st leg deficit. I think she would need to be in a breakaway and even that, she would need 1+ min to put a scare in the chasers for the individual race.

I am pulling this off the PTO thread because I think it is better to discuss it here.

For MTR Knibb is a better version of what Ben Kanute was 5 years ago. And interestingly, now that Men and Women have switched order places, like Kanute she can be penciled in for that 2nd place relay spot. Outside a mechanical or a disastrous opening leg the US will be at the front of the race going into the 3rd leg of the MTR because of Knibb.

The problem I see is that, in order to make money, she is going to do a lot of 70.3 type distances and that is going to take the speed out of her. I think she actually is suited to make money in Super League because the technical bike courses and bike primes play to her strength. So hopefully she considers it next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think she’s totally a lock in for MTR. But what is interesting, can she “auto” qualify with basically a podium performance again. If she didn’t do her breakaway at Yoko it was almost assuredly going to be Spivey and Kz on the team. I would 100% assume she’s an pick for MTR due to her strength and so whether she AQ or not, she’ll get discretion pick. If I had to guess Summer Rapp wont make it (unless she AQ’s).

But what’s even more amazing. KZ crashed out Kasper at the test event in the breakaway, when those 2 Americans would have very easily finished top 8 and made the AQ Olympic spots.. KZ looked back at the chase pack and veered into Kasper and the barrier, crashing both out.

If that crash doesn’t happen, the auto Q would have been Kasper and KZ and likely Spivey gets the discretion over Rapp or Knibb. Knibb’s breakaway wouldn’t have counted as the 2 spots would have already been taken and the 3rd was always discretion.

So it’s odd how random things can go and turn for careers.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 19, 22 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it doesn’t matter that she won the Yoko race (or was she 2nd?) Knibb only went to the Olympics because she won an auto selection.

Has the US announced selection process? I hope they have learned: as exciting as it is, you can only have 1 auto selection and frankly that should be contingent upon having 3 spots.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paris games procedures are due to be announced this month.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they're still working through the procedures. There was a draft about six weeks ago and I gave some feedback but I haven't seen a final announcement. They're recruiting a new performance director for USAT, with the departure of John Farra, so maybe we won't see the final QC until that position is filled?

ajthomas wrote:
Yeah, it doesn’t matter that she won the Yoko race (or was she 2nd?) Knibb only went to the Olympics because she won an auto selection.

Has the US announced selection process? I hope they have learned: as exciting as it is, you can only have 1 auto selection and frankly that should be contingent upon having 3 spots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I think she’s totally a lock in for MTR. But what is interesting, can she “auto” qualify with basically a podium performance again. If she didn’t do her breakaway at Yoko it was almost assuredly going to be Spivey and Kz on the team. I would 100% assume she’s an pick for MTR due to her strength and so whether she AQ or not, she’ll get discretion pick. If I had to guess Summer Rapp wont make it (unless she AQ’s).

But what’s even more amazing. KZ crashed out Kasper at the test event in the breakaway, when those 2 Americans would have very easily finished top 8 and made the AQ Olympic spots.. KZ looked back at the chase pack and veered into Kasper and the barrier, crashing both out.

If that crash doesn’t happen, the auto Q would have been Kasper and KZ and likely Spivey gets the discretion over Rapp or Knibb. Knibb’s breakaway wouldn’t have counted as the 2 spots would have already been taken and the 3rd was always discretion.

So it’s odd how random things can go and turn for careers.

With the exception of Flora Duffy I don’t think anyone is totally locked in for anything. Even GTB had to prove her fitness the last 2 weeks before Tokyo. Sophie Coldwell was a travelling reserve and know there was a possibility she would be subbed in.

Nothing is guaranteed 2 years out.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I don’t mean officially locked in for US spot. and I think GB has policies that lock in medal winners the earliest for the next games. I also smirk at the idea that an athlete has to show fitness 2 weeks out (I know GTB wasn’t in the “medal games winner” category before Tokyo). I think that’s a formality of just making sure your not actually *injured* because in some cases athletes have kinda hidden injuries. Henry Schumann in Tokyo had I believe a Achilles injury and was essentially individual race only.

But imo Knibb (barring injury, which is why you always have a reserve) will go on her MTR strength. Right now minus KZ it’s really Spivey, Rapp, Knibb (maybe auckerland and Kasper) in the running. Rapp I think has to show her mtr skills talent to suggest she can be a weapon….which w her bike skills I just don’t see happening. So it’s really Spivey and Knibb so far as the best team. W KZ as well and the US women will very likely get 3 spots I would think when they all race the full schedule the next 1.25 years of the qualifying period.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 20, 22 3:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll admit that I was surprised with how Rappaport did on the bike at SLT Malibu, and that she stayed upright when GTB wrecked (to be fair, GTB attacked the corner to drop Summer, and slid out because of sand on the road)...

That said, there's no such thing as a lock this far out in an Olympic cycle, but I agree, that based on current form, Knibb would likely be as close to a shoe-in for the MTR for the US ladies at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
I'll admit that I was surprised with how Rappaport did on the bike at SLT Malibu, and that she stayed upright when GTB wrecked (to be fair, GTB attacked the corner to drop Summer, and slid out because of sand on the road)...

I dont know how much can be gleaned from that but I agree, it was surprising that she stayed away from Spivey. I cannot imagine how frustrating it is for Summer, undoubtedly a world class athlete with world class engine, to constantly lose races because of bike handling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTCS Cagliari action this weekend amongst Kona and Ganna's Hour Record.
I'll save the spoilers for those on the other side of the pond.

Womens race is first (just finished) for those wanting to watch the replays.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [inkbbl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
inkbbl wrote:
WTCS Cagliari action this weekend amongst Kona and Ganna's Hour Record.
I'll save the spoilers for those on the other side of the pond.

Womens race is first (just finished) for those wanting to watch the replays.

Brilliant comeback for Knibb, she forced that result with a massive bike contribution. Lombardi in only her 3rd start at top tier is mind boggling.

USA 3 in top 6 is an awesome result.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taylor Knibb ran 33:01. Out split Taylor Spivey who ran 33:33.
https://triathlon.org/...ries_cagliari/563478
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [DavidC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidC wrote:
Taylor Knibb ran 33:01. Out split Taylor Spivey who ran 33:33.
https://triathlon.org/...ries_cagliari/563478
Race account here: https://www.tri247.com/...results-report-women
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yee runs 29:18 for the win, including a brief stop (for hamstring cramp?).
https://twitter.com/...NEQ6CWb1wNNrKyiyIoIg

https://triathlon.org/...ries_cagliari/563477
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [DavidC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidC wrote:
Yee runs 29:18 for the win, including a brief stop (for hamstring cramp?).
https://twitter.com/...NEQ6CWb1wNNrKyiyIoIg

https://triathlon.org/...ries_cagliari/563477
Brownlee off the front by 30 seconds into T2; and only Yee caught him. GBR's Olympic multiple medallists first AND second in 2022's first world top tier standard distance race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Potter and Beaugrand getting dropped from the lead group and outbiked by 2+ minutes! Does biking matter, once again, in short course?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think swim and bike are super important now if you want to beat Yee or Wilde. Takes a smart racer to execute and find the opportunities. Someone like a fully firing JB can exploit that. Makes it more fun at least.
Quote Reply

Prev Next