Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowtwich will never be interested in ITU till it gets its first uber biker N.American male winning races!

Till then Lionel changing his water bottle or helmet will get more hits than a whole season of ITU.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [andy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy12 wrote:
I just kinda got the feeling from how Wilde was talking that he was being gracious in victory but it wasn't necessarily him at fault. Let's see if there is a video.

The talk amongst athletes very close (on the ground) Wilde was trying to overtake where there was no room for him, kind of his signature move, clipped McCullough wheel causing him to go down. Wylde was able to save but those directly behind even though they saw it happen had no where to go but down. Hence why copped lip from Brownlee.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly I think you're right. And it's weird too, because North Americans typically like shorter, tighter and more action packed sports, which you would think would lend itself more toward World Tri rather than Mdot racing. And nothing against Mdot racing, I'll watch it like I watch the Tour De France on the sprint stages, check in periodically, and then watch the last hour... World Tri Races are more like the mountain stages, where you watch the whole thing because it changes constantly.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always thought that WT races were like the classics.
Certain courses play to certain athletes, there are often a few unexpected athletes who sneak in the top 5/10 that made it off the early break (swim/rode wheels)
And time and time again, the strongest athletes win.

I can't figure out why DL racing isn't more popular in NA.
My best guess....people get into triathlon for themselves 100%. And do not care one bit about other athletes. And the culture is of "me" not "us" when it comes to the sport.

In the rare areas of NA where there are groups that train together and have a social setting, I've found that DL racing is very popular. But those areas are hard to find.

As a coach, I'll say this....
Draft Legal coaching is significantly more challenging than non-draft. The schedule/travel alone is enough to make me go crazy looking at all the various possibilities.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point, as someone who also bike raced and crit raced for a while, and always sucked at TTs, I love DL sprint racing as an age grouper too...

And classics is a great analogy for WT racing...

As for the Hayden Wilde/Yee/Brownlee/McCullough crash, Pro Tri News on their Instagram have Hayden's account of the crash: "So long story short, second lap out of T2 still carrying a lot of speed. I come out on the outside of Dylan he had a few people on his right. At this point Dylan and I were in line with each other. We both got out of the saddle, unfortunately then we touched elbows just slightly which led to Dylans' front wheel to go a touch sideways, he went over the handlebars which then took out Jonny & Alex as followed my line up the hill. Never want this to happen in a race, especially to those two lads".

Unfortunately I've experienced similar incidents in bike racing and it sometimes is not one person at fault, but several people doing reasonable actions at the same time, and as a result coming together. I also understand where those taken down as a result would be pissed too, since it's something silly that has a major impact on your race, that you can't control. I've seen fist fights between cyclists from these types of crashes in crits...
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Duffy's boss move dropping Beaugrand was the most incredible move I've ever seen on the women's bike leg.
Yeah that was pretty awesome.

CB has her moments. But she is far closer to summer rappport than Gwen at this point in her career. No disrespect to any of those ladies intended.

I don’t think the announcing is bad, but it could be better. They pegged McElroy to “be up at the front of the swim,” on the MTR. Huh?

Leading off Mac was a tactical error. MTR is like musical chairs, every round someone gets out and then is out of the game (I know not completely true but mostly). He was last out of the water the day before. I feel like they were playing with matches doing that.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's amazing how much countries struggled with MTR orders with the switch to M-W-M-W until Paris... It seems like people forgot how important the leg 1 swim was and the leg 4 run were, and what that might mean with the legs flip flopping... I suspect that we'll see more logical line-ups in Montreal next weekend for those that raced Leeds, and maybe a bit more variability for the countries that sat it out... Montreal is a bit of a different beast, in that the long, uphill run from Swim to T1 will allow some slightly weaker swimmers to potentially close gaps before mounting the bikes. As a result, a strong run is definitely an asset. Re-watched last year's race the other day, and saw people in touch out of the water dropped before mounting the bike, just on the basis of the long hard run...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Fair point, as someone who also bike raced and crit raced for a while, and always sucked at TTs, I love DL sprint racing as an age grouper too...

And classics is a great analogy for WT racing...

As for the Hayden Wilde/Yee/Brownlee/McCullough crash, Pro Tri News on their Instagram have Hayden's account of the crash: "So long story short, second lap out of T2 still carrying a lot of speed. I come out on the outside of Dylan he had a few people on his right. At this point Dylan and I were in line with each other. We both got out of the saddle, unfortunately then we touched elbows just slightly which led to Dylans' front wheel to go a touch sideways, he went over the handlebars which then took out Jonny & Alex as followed my line up the hill. Never want this to happen in a race, especially to those two lads".

Unfortunately I've experienced similar incidents in bike racing and it sometimes is not one person at fault, but several people doing reasonable actions at the same time, and as a result coming together. I also understand where those taken down as a result would be pissed too, since it's something silly that has a major impact on your race, that you can't control. I've seen fist fights between cyclists from these types of crashes in crits...

He went for a gap that wasn’t there and took riders out.

https://twitter.com/...QqvVwmck7PDs4-zuL2hQ

Brief, doesn’t really show too much detail but does show how hard they hit the deck. You can just see Wilde as he rides on.
Last edited by: SheridanTris: Jun 16, 22 13:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did McDowell get taken out in the Wilde accident?

Truthfully he isn't an ideal leadoff either but he would have been fine. And Mac would be a great 3rd leg, especially if he is given a lead.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're not that far away from the Montreal sprint distance event and relay. I don't see Flora Duffy on the list and Jessica Learmonth is still MIA so probably Cassandra Beaugrand will lead out the swim. I expect to see GTB, Sophie Coldwell, Taylor Knibb and perhaps Taylor Spivey work hard to drop C.B. and other clingers on. The hill on the course ought to provide a strong sorting filter for those who are bike fit enough. Will a fast of the front group gain enough time to overcome a fleet footed C.B.? Whatever the case, it ought to be another excellent race. On the men's side I bet Alex Yee is itching to have another crack at the men's field after the Leeds bike crash.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jun 21, 22 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
We're not that far away from the Montreal sprint distance event and relay. I don't see Flora Duffy on the list and Jessica Learmonth is still MIA so probably Cassandra Beaugrand will lead out the swim. I expect to see GTB, Sophie Coldwell, Taylor Knibb and perhaps Taylor Spivey work hard to drop C.B. and other clingers on. The hill on the course ought to provide a strong sorting filter for those who are bike fit enough. Will a fast of the front group gain enough time to overcome a fleet footed C.B.? Whatever the case, it ought to be another excellent race. On the men's side I bet Alex Yee is itching to have another crack at the men's field after the Leeds bike crash.

Hugh

Duffy and Knibb aren’t on the start list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
We're not that far away from the Montreal sprint distance event and relay. I don't see Flora Duffy on the list and Jessica Learmonth is still MIA so probably Cassandra Beaugrand will lead out the swim. I expect to see GTB, Sophie Coldwell and Taylor Knibb and Taylor Spivey work hard to drop C.B. and other clingers on. The hill on the course ought to provide a strong sorting filter for those who are bike fit enough. Will a fast of the front group gain enough time to overcome a fleet footed C.B.? Whatever the case, it ought to be another excellent race. On the men's side I bet Alex Yee is itching to have another crack at the men's field after the Leeds bike crash.

Hugh

FYI: This race is an eliminator. I think it is fun to watch but the skillset is different so I'll watch it and not think much of the results.

I am going with Potter and Wilde for the win.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

Yikes, I'd swear that Taylor was on there a few hours ago when I first checked but you're right that she's not on there now.

Last edited by: sciguy: Jun 23, 22 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

Yikes, I'd swear that Taylor was one there a few hours ago when I first checked but you're right that she's not on there now.

Pretty sure you are correct as well. I checked in the morning and their names were on the list. I am not surprised about Duffy as she has a couple of races under her belt already, she is still recovering from Covid and has the Commonwealth Games to think about.

Any news on Knibb not racing? Maybe the eliminator format doesn’t suit her but a race close to home?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
sciguy wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

Yikes, I'd swear that Taylor was one there a few hours ago when I first checked but you're right that she's not on there now.

Pretty sure you are correct as well. I checked in the morning and their names were on the list. I am not surprised about Duffy as she has a couple of races under her belt already, she is still recovering from Covid and has the Commonwealth Games to think about.

Any news on Knibb not racing? Maybe the eliminator format doesn’t suit her but a race close to home?

Perhaps she's decided to race Mont Tremblant 70.3 this weekend ? I don't see any clues on her social media pages.

Last edited by: sciguy: Jun 22, 22 6:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
sciguy wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

Perhaps she's decided to race Mont Tremblant 70.3 this weekend ? I don't see any clues on her social media pages.

I think I remember an article during the week saying Duffy was on both start lists and intended to race both. Might have been TRI247 but not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:

I think the eliminator format suits her well so I am disappointed she isn't there. But more importantly I am disappointed that she won't be on the MTR.

She is a (much) better version of what Kanute was 6 years ago in the second leg. She can ride solo and have the best split in her group so she can get you back into the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:

I think the eliminator format suits her well so I am disappointed she isn't there. But more importantly I am disappointed that she won't be on the MTR.

She is a (much) better version of what Kanute was 6 years ago in the second leg. She can ride solo and have the best split in her group so she can get you back into the race.

No doubting she is a phenomenal athlete but I couldn’t see where she had the best split for her leg on a relay.

I think the US are going to have a very strong team come Paris 2024.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:

No doubting she is a phenomenal athlete but I couldn’t see where she had the best split for her leg on a relay.

I think the US are going to have a very strong team come Paris 2024.

I meant Best bike split. What I was saying is if she takes off 15 seconds back of the field, she can pull the team back on her own in the bike leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
sciguy wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
sciguy wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

I think I remember an article during the week saying Duffy was on both start lists and intended to race both. Might have been TRI247 but not sure.

Flora's most recent twitter post confirms that she is doing just the Mont Tremblant 70.3. Perhaps Taylor Knibb is doing the same?

Last edited by: sciguy: Jun 23, 22 11:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The heats are now duathlon due to sewerage in the water
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
More detail (heavy rain required sewage release into river to avoid city flooding):
https://tri-today.com/...nto-duathlon-format/
They hope that the levels will have dropped by Saturday to allow those races to be triathlons.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
More detail (heavy rain required sewage release into river to avoid city flooding):
https://tri-today.com/...nto-duathlon-format/
They hope that the levels will have dropped by Saturday to allow those races to be triathlons.

Would be surprised if contamination levels can drop that quickly but it wouldn't be the first time that the athletes have had to swim in levels unfit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So general reply to the thread....the Montreal eliminator format is suppose to generate excitement for the ITU Triathlon TV experience. ..I watched effing sailboats for close to half an hour between what ever it was they were saying was the "Finals" of the Montreal race....epic fail

I agree with Kingman....if ITU wants to do this, make it it's own series. I want to see Olympic distance races, period.

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok...holy fuck, didn't realize there were 2 elimination races....nope, remove this format from my subscription. Give me some money back, or replace this format with some real races....just sayin'

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply

Prev Next