Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy's boss move dropping Beaugrand was the most incredible move I've ever seen on the women's bike leg.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But now Duffy has been dropped. Big surprise
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
But now Duffy has been dropped. Big surprise

Her recent case of Covid probably did her no favors.

Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coldwell's recent bike racing experience certainly seems to have helped her already excellent skills and fitness.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Coldwell's recent bike racing experience certainly seems to have helped her already excellent skills and fitness.

Yeh her technical ability is adding to the gap through every technical section.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
We still don't really know what happened to JB and Yee on the bike.

But Luis riding straight through T2 into the barriers was comedy gold

Hayden Wilde caused a crash that took out about 5 athletes. 2 Brits, 1 NZ and 1 US I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beaugrand put on a running clinic just as impressive as Hayden Wilde. She certainly is looking good for an excellent Paris performance.

Last edited by: sciguy: Jun 12, 22 4:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
If I'm watching the same interviews as you are she speaks perfect English, but with a delightful (Northern Irish) accent
FTFY
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken elbow for JB.

Also points the finger without actually naming names: "I know these things happen in sport but the racing is definitely getting more dangerous and it is down to a select few athletes. We need to look after each other better"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
Broken elbow for JB.

Also points the finger without actually naming names: "I know these things happen in sport but the racing is definitely getting more dangerous and it is down to a select few athletes. We need to look after each other better"

JB probably out for a major part of season including commonwealth games. Yee lucky to escape unhurt but broken ÂŁ5k frame and helmet split open. No news from other athletes Wilde took out including his own team mate and a US athlete.

Probably cost GB-Tri the win in the relay today, which I think is an Olympic qualifying race but not sure. Also probably cost England medals at the Commonwealths.

Really feel for JB, his last chance to race in Leeds on a course playing to his strengths.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And video of the crash or did they miss it?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to tell without video, but Wilde said he was involved, rather than caused it. From what I can piece together from the different versions from athletes involved, it sounds like McCullough lost his balance and bumped into Wilde, Wilde was able to save it and stay upright, but McCullough went down, and the others were right behind them and came into the back of it.

I love the TriathlonLive coverage, but I'll say it again, the commentators need to take a level 1 officials course (or even just read appendix K to the rulebook about penalties). So many times in the coverage they are talking nonsense, making up non-existent rules, and speculating on penalties/DSQs with no relationship to the actual rules. You would think that the feed delivered by the Sports governing body would want to get those things correct.

I've seen a bunch of social media posts of the video of Vincent Luis bombing through the T-Zone with a smattering of ignorant comments. WT elite races are different than AG races in that they have a "hot transition" (the athletes lap through the T zone on the bike and run), which changes things a bit. He clearly failed to dismount before the line, which results in a dismount penalty (10sec for the sprint distance). It has nothing to do with advantages, or anything, he violated the rule, which results in the penalty. In an age group race, it would be a correct and amend penalty, and if not corrected, it would be a DSQ. The biggest difference is that in an AG race, they would never be riding in the TZ, because the courses don't lap through, whereas for the elites, he miscounted his laps and was following the prescribed course... Classic example of race brain (the inverse relationship between Heart Rate and cognitive functioning), with the loud crowds and being on the rivet, it can sometimes be easy to lose track of laps (in collegiate track, indoors, I used to count the laps in the mile on my fingers to not lose track, because you couldn't always see the lap counter). He's lucky he didn't take out the Moto, otherwise he would have ended up with broken bones like JB. He did well hanging onto a top 10, despite the crash into the fence, and having to run back to his spot, plus the penalty. I also saw people questioning the fences at the end, and that is a simple answer. Firstly, there is overlap between the bike and run courses, and at a certain point bikes get pulled to avoid dangerous overlaps (first runner/last biker scenario in the rules/Event Organizers Manual), secondly, the athletes had to make a sharp right at the end of the zone to enter the run course, the fences would prevent people from going the wrong way (with them being the leaders, any lapped cyclists would have already been lapped out/pulled), it's pretty common where the course is set-up like that...

On the ladies side, Coldwell is a beast, not remotely surprised at that break, and she was completely transparent in the post-race interview, that she's still finding her run form, so was trying to maximize the gap knowing that there were so many strong runners in the chase (likely the same for Spivey who has been very limited with her running due to injury). Beaugrand was impressive, despite the penalty, on a tough run course, she's such a smooth runner, that she can be lethal. She seems to be improving on the bike as well, which could make her really scary coming up towards Paris if she can stay healthy. GTB is GTB, and race strong, and super consistently. Was a bit surprised of Flora, but she did have a recent bout of illness, so likely still finding her lung capacity again.

Two very exciting races, looking forward to the MTR this morning. Leeds didn't disappoint. Really unfortunate to see Brownlee's season put on pause with the broken elbow. Yee looked OK, and walked away. Been very impressed with the German team lately, so much depth on both men and women's sides, if they can keep it together they can be super dangerous in the relays.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just kinda got the feeling from how Wilde was talking that he was being gracious in victory but it wasn't necessarily him at fault. Let's see if there is a video.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just catching up on the men's race, had no idea this was a sprint, but don't think that would effected my predictions.

Thought this race was today and not yesterday, absolutely gutted for Yee and Jonny, and Jonny now looks out for the Commonwealth, (now idea how Yee is as I'm trying to avoid spoilers still) Jonny has taken a swipe at I'm guessing Wilde who admit the crash was his fault saying the bike is getting more dangerous 'due to a select few athletes'

Never heard of the dude who finished 3rd, so fair play to him, Wilde finally gets a win and very decent of him for his honesty and not really celebrating the win, his run seems to be on another level to anyone else other than Yee at the moment.

Potentially entering an era where the pair of them dominate ITU.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Just catching up on the men's race, had no idea this was a sprint, but don't think that would effected my predictions.

Thought this race was today and not yesterday, absolutely gutted for Yee and Jonny, and Jonny now looks out for the Commonwealth, (now idea how Yee is as I'm trying to avoid spoilers still) Jonny has taken a swipe at I'm guessing Wilde who admit the crash was his fault saying the bike is getting more dangerous 'due to a select few athletes'

Never heard of the dude who finished 3rd, so fair play to him, Wilde finally gets a win and very decent of him for his honesty and not really celebrating the win, his run seems to be on another level to anyone else other than Yee at the moment.

Potentially entering an era where the pair of them dominate ITU.

Yee wasn’t allowed to race today due to concussion protocols.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [andy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy12 wrote:
I just kinda got the feeling from how Wilde was talking that he was being gracious in victory but it wasn't necessarily him at fault. Let's see if there is a video.

Is that on the ITU commentary? On the BBC commentary he said absolutely it was his fault and he caused it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Women's race, CB always seems to have the talent to pull off performances like that but is let down with her bike usually, to get a 10sec penalty and still win comfortably in a sprint, in field as strong as that is a mind blowing performance!

Shame Coldwell couldn't hold on, GTB has an off day but still manages to come 2nd, the most shocking thing I've ever seen in ITU was Duffy being dropped on the bike till I was reminded by the commentary she had covid recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just posted this on my Facebook page, along with a few pictures:

This is for all of my true triathlon friends: I always said when I was President of USA Triathlon, and sat on the World Triathlon Executive Board, that I was a fan first, an age-group athlete second, and then in it politically. Now that the political side is in the rearview mirror, an honest, non-politically biased, look at the last two days of World Triathlon in Leeds.

1. Let's start positive. I said it several years ago, and it's proving true - Cassandre Beaugrand is the next Gwen Jorgensen. Originally, "simply" an amazing runner, she has quickly become a top swimmer, and the excellent Fédération Française de Triathlon high-performance team will continue to strengthen her bike prowess. What a treat for her to know Paris 2024 is just around the corner. The French men are also well set up for the next Games.

2. Hayden Wilde is definitely the real deal, we'll be seeing a lot of him on the road to Paris 2024. A shame he was part of the crash that took out favorites Jonathan Brownlee & Alex Yee; but, pretty classy to fully accept blame: "I know Jonny was pretty mad, he gave me some words. But that's fair enough. I'm gutted for those guys. It's totally my fault, I'm more than happy to own up to that. I feel really bad."

3. Norway - after the Tokyo Olympics, and the phenomenal men of Norway shining brightly, Head Coach Arild Tveiten made it clear: his next goal was to bring up some women to the world-class level. A 7th place in the mixed relay today shows the progress. Big congrats to Norges Triatlonforbund.

4. How can I not express disappointment in seeing Team USA finish 9th and over 2 minutes back in the relay; plus, only Taylor Spivey shining in the individual race (4th). Matt Mcelroy had a great run yesterday, and I know he will continue to get back on track, but the rest of the guys were essentially non-existent (sorry for Kevin McDowell being involved in the crash). All and all, big pressure on the USA to shine at the next big World Triathlon race in 2 weeks in Montreal.

5. Commentary on TriathlonLive: I have ultimate respect for Helen Jenkins as an extraordinary athlete and great person; but, the commentary duo produce zero excitement, deep insights, storytelling (a key in today's media world), and sound more like a golf commentary than what could be an exciting event. Prime example: how do you have zero mention or f/u on yesterday's crash involving Jonny & Alex? The live broadcasts lost a lot when Barrie Shepley was dismissed; and is extra visible given the excellent broadcasting of both Super League Triathlon and Professional Triathletes Organisation events. Dare I add even IRONMAN?

6. Where's the love? Shocked to see the lack of interest on the world's largest triathlon forum, slowtwitch., both for the individual races and, especially, the relay. World Triathlon needs a serious marketing effort for so many reasons; but, I see this as a clear indicator. Its own Twitter feed had very few updates, simply showing the start and the finish. Unacceptable. If the sport is to grow, social media needs to be an emphasis. Create discussions, tell great stories (the return of 40-year-old Andrea Hewitt/Hansen!), and reflect the excitement and amazingness of our sport).

7. The races were exceedingly "Euro-centric." 8 of the top 10 women and men, and all top 5 in mixed relay. Not a single Canadian (waiting for Montreal, saving $$$?), Mexico only racing the relay/no individuals. The huge continents of Africa and Asia, as well as South America, nowhere to be seen. World Triathlon needs to deal with this.

8. The crowds in Leeds were good for the individual races, but quite sparse for the mixed relay - really surprised to see that. And, if I heard correctly, this was the last year for Leeds on the WTCS circuit. What a shame! Until World Triathlon learns, appreciates, and takes advantage of its tremendous assets for sponsors, cities around the world simply can not afford and justify hosting these big events. Why do you think the USA has not hosted since 2015 in Chicago? The cost vs. benefit to the cities just doesn't match up. World Triathlon has to cover more of the expenses; or, somehow, lessen them.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5430tri wrote:

This is for all of my true triathlon friends: I always said when I was President of USA Triathlon, and sat on the World Triathlon Executive Board, that I was a fan first, an age-group athlete second, and then in it politically. Now that the political side is in the rearview mirror, an honest, non-politically biased, look at the last two days of World Triathlon in Leeds.

1. Let's start positive. I said it several years ago, and it's proving true - Cassandre Beaugrand is the next Gwen Jorgensen. Originally, "simply" an amazing runner, she has quickly become a top swimmer, and the excellent Fédération Française de Triathlon high-performance team will continue to strengthen her bike prowess. What a treat for her to know Paris 2024 is just around the corner. The French men are also well set up for the next Games.

2. Hayden Wilde is definitely the real deal, we'll be seeing a lot of him on the road to Paris 2024. A shame he was part of the crash that took out favorites Jonathan Brownlee & Alex Yee; but, pretty classy to fully accept blame: "I know Jonny was pretty mad, he gave me some words. But that's fair enough. I'm gutted for those guys. It's totally my fault, I'm more than happy to own up to that. I feel really bad."

3. Norway - after the Tokyo Olympics, and the phenomenal men of Norway shining brightly, Head Coach Arild Tveiten made it clear: his next goal was to bring up some women to the world-class level. A 7th place in the mixed relay today shows the progress. Big congrats to Norges Triatlonforbund.

4. How can I not express disappointment in seeing Team USA finish 9th and over 2 minutes back in the relay; plus, only Taylor Spivey shining in the individual race (4th). Matt Mcelroy had a great run yesterday, and I know he will continue to get back on track, but the rest of the guys were essentially non-existent (sorry for Kevin McDowell being involved in the crash). All and all, big pressure on the USA to shine at the next big World Triathlon race in 2 weeks in Montreal.

5. Commentary on TriathlonLive: I have ultimate respect for Helen Jenkins as an extraordinary athlete and great person; but, the commentary duo produce zero excitement, deep insights, storytelling (a key in today's media world), and sound more like a golf commentary than what could be an exciting event. Prime example: how do you have zero mention or f/u on yesterday's crash involving Jonny & Alex? The live broadcasts lost a lot when Barrie Shepley was dismissed; and is extra visible given the excellent broadcasting of both Super League Triathlon and Professional Triathletes Organisation events. Dare I add even IRONMAN?

6. Where's the love? Shocked to see the lack of interest on the world's largest triathlon forum, slowtwitch., both for the individual races and, especially, the relay. World Triathlon needs a serious marketing effort for so many reasons; but, I see this as a clear indicator. Its own Twitter feed had very few updates, simply showing the start and the finish. Unacceptable. If the sport is to grow, social media needs to be an emphasis. Create discussions, tell great stories (the return of 40-year-old Andrea Hewitt/Hansen!), and reflect the excitement and amazingness of our sport).

7. The races were exceedingly "Euro-centric." 8 of the top 10 women and men, and all top 5 in mixed relay. Not a single Canadian (waiting for Montreal, saving $$$?), Mexico only racing the relay/no individuals. The huge continents of Africa and Asia, as well as South America, nowhere to be seen. World Triathlon needs to deal with this.

8. The crowds in Leeds were good for the individual races, but quite sparse for the mixed relay - really surprised to see that. And, if I heard correctly, this was the last year for Leeds on the WTCS circuit. What a shame! Until World Triathlon learns, appreciates, and takes advantage of its tremendous assets for sponsors, cities around the world simply can not afford and justify hosting these big events. Why do you think the USA has not hosted since 2015 in Chicago? The cost vs. benefit to the cities just doesn't match up. World Triathlon has to cover more of the expenses; or, somehow, lessen them.

Some good and some not so good comments. For starters, Beaugrand hardly is "the next Gwen" as she always has been a top swimmer (see her win in Hamburg in 2018) when she was 3rd out of the water and ahead of uber swimmers like Flora, Spivey and GTB. Her issues always have been the bike and mental (she gives up A LOT when things aren't going well) and she is appears to be much improved in both. She definitely is a gold medal contender for Paris.

Proclaiming the reigning Olympic bronze medalist as "the real deal" and predicting that we will see a lot of the 24-year old leading up to the next Olympics isn't exactly valuable insight. Do you also think that Alex Yee is the real deal and that we will be seeing a lot of him leading up to Paris?

Thinking that Norway has suddenly solved its female problem based on today is bizarre. The other top women were a minute faster than their anchor (GTB was more than a minute faster) and CB and Knibb skipped the race. Norway is a long way away from competing with the best teams despite having possibly the fastest combined men.

Agreed that this was a bad weekend for Team USA but Knibb and Pearson were out and Zaferes is taking the year off. It would be nice to see some up and comers break through this year (like Germany has seen).

It always has been a criticism of triathlon that only a handful of countries are competitive in it. It is probably the most expensive sport (maybe modern pentathlon is more?) and takes up the most time. Poorer countries don't want to fund it when they can fund soccer or track for a fraction of the cost (and have citizens already following). Swimming is even worse with basically the USA and Australia dominating and then everyone else but nobody seems to care and NBC has no problem with wall to wall coverage of it during the Olympics.

It's sad that the USA cannot host an ITU race but where is the money going to come from to take huge losses hosting these races?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [5430tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree in relation to the commentator.

Even poach will McCoy from superleague.

Or beg Barry back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! GTB made up 30+ secs in that final leg of the relay, a silver after losing Yee and Jonny was a great result for GB.

Maybe I'm imaging this but I'm sure Germany didn't even bother entering racers into the Olympics in Rio was it? As they had no chance of getting near a medal (was it Tokyo also?) So they're coming on really well as a nation.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing to add about CB, although in flashes she's looked like 'the new Gwen' I don't think we've seen her do anything at Oly distance? Good to point out she gives up mentally if things aren't going her way.

I'm pretty sure she wasn't on the start list for this race unless I overlooked her or she was a late entry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you make of the choice of USA Triathlon to start McElroy as first relay? Everybody who knows a bit about ITU and Mixed Relays knows that you put your strongest swimmer in the first relay, and yet somehow someone in charge of the US team thought it was a good idea to start with Matt??? Who makes these decisions? And (unless he decided he wanted to be first) not Matt's fault either, he would have been a good third relay I think, playing more to his strengths.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin McDowell crashed out day before, and would have been the #1 choice I'm guessing. Between Matt and Seth Rider, Matt had a much better day than Seth in the individual, and I think we all thought he'd get some time back on the run, as well as the long transition run. Don't think anyone thought he'd have such a poor swim. The coaches, together typically with the high-performance director make the decisions. They have enormous stats at their fingertips. A healthy McDowell at #1, with Matt at #3, certainly would have made a difference; also, with Kirsten or Summer in there. We shall see in Montreal in 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5430tri wrote:

Great insights... And Agreed they lost a lot when they lost Barry from the commentary. I have so much respect for Helen Jenkins as an athlete, but agree, that the coverage was somewhat flat... Vicky Holland and Ali Brownlee have both been awesome on SL coverage, and would be great to include in the WT feed... And maybe someone who understands the rules too, because for those of us who do, it can be frustrating to listen to. (I haven't watched the recent IM coverage, I struggled in the past to watch with Welchie commentating)

I wish there had been more of a Canadian contingent, but I think it's more than just waiting for Montreal. With Sharpe retiring from World Tri racing, Mislawchuk slowly coming back from last year, and Jo Brown back in school, it's also a points/selection issue. Some of the younger athletes are picking away at World Cup/Conti races to be able to get regular WTCS starts, and many of them came back to North America early for Montreal, and are racing Huatulco instead before traveling to Montreal. I suspect that they are banking on grabbing better World Cup results to bolster their qualification efforts in the first block, before shifting to more WTCS racing later... (as surprised that they didn't at least field a C team for the MTR though, given that Olympic Qualification has started).

I'm hoping the crowds are crazy in Montreal next weekend. Friday's qualification should be interesting, since the 24th is a Quebec holiday (St. Jean Baptiste Day), which means people are off work, and likely drinking all day, so it could be Hamburg like...

And agreed, this discussion of World Tri, outside of the Olympics tends to be limited to handful or so of us, which is kind of crazy, because of the quality of racing... But yeah, North America seems to be IM or bust.
Quote Reply

Prev Next