Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Beth Potter to have a lead pack swim is a massive improvement. Did something happen in the pack for her to suddenly go back so quick?

Stomach problems she has said on Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
just a reminder for those who plan on watching it over the weekend: the men's race is first (it starts in just a few hours!!). If you watch the women's race first on replay they will likely tell you the result of the men's race.
Are you certain about that? Did they change the schedule? I see the women's race as being first both on the official schedule as well as TriathlonLive.

Thanks so much for this. My TriathlonLive listed the mens first in “up coming” races.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Ahh yes, she actually got outrun by a Spaniard I'd never heard of, I think she'll get better as the season goes.

She is 2 times olimpian...

Sorry if my english is pretty bad, I am not english native
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Beth Potter to have a lead pack swim is a massive improvement. Did something happen in the pack for her to suddenly go back so quick?

My takes:

1. Taylor Spivey had a brilliant race as a comeback from 6 months of injury
2. The Italian in 4th for her WTS debut is just awesome
3. Most of the major players looked good for 1st race of the season
4. Yee extremely intelligent running but 35 sec off lead pack swim?
5. Gutted for Beaugrand 1st out of swim and taken out by someone totally beyond her control
5. Gutted for Luis not sure if he came to race carrying an injury
6. Knibb looked out of sorts but it is a long season and I think come the World Champs she will be one to beat

Paris is a long way away!!!!

Lombardi may be an Italian name, but she's French and races for France.

Knibb needs to get away on the bike to have any chance against this caliber of runners. Not always possible, especially now that the others know her and what she's capable of.

V. Luis: he was already struggling to keep pace on the bike, so I think more likely to be an illness than injury? Or some injury impacting both ride and run.

Beaugrand: yes unlucky for her, this said there's a risk about hanging near the back of groups all the time. This is something she still needs to work on, be more comfortable riding in a pack or small group, while being strong enough to contribute to it. She has all other things to the top level, so I'm sure that'll be her focus ahead of Paris in the next couple of years.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louis said he was having crazy heart beat on swim and ride and felt weird so pulled out. No injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad on the French, was listening to it rather than watching it and they said she was Italian sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah hope Vincent is ok -- that's scary stuff.

Potter said she had stomach problems. Part of the run split could just be really going for it on the swim/bike.

Riddle & Lopes dominated in LA.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He mentioned that his pulse was above 200 on the bike. Had to take the pulse manually to double check. It's the second time this happens to him.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like he had covid and now he has long-covid.

That is a huge bummer. But we're going to see it more and more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The crash was caused by the German Knoll changing lines after the right turn, taking out the front wheel of her countrywomen Lindemann, which led to CB's crash. Sure there is a risk hanging at the back of the pack, but it wasn't that big a pack, and these girls should know better than changing lines in the middle of the pack.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, there are some very seasoned bike handlers in the pack, but having been at a number of WTCS level events, you'd be amazed to see some of the stupid moves that people make (something about high heart rates inhibiting cognition, so for those where they have learned to ride in a pack, but where it is not yet mastered to the level of being a reflex, when they're at their limit, they can still make stupid moves that generally result in many people donating epidermal cells to the asphalt) even at that level. Early in the season that tends to be especially pronounced as you have differing levels of outdoor vs indoor riding, and solo vs. group...

Also being at the intersection of two olympic cycles, you also have a number of newer athletes (to this level of racing) making the jump, that are getting used to the level, and the flow of the racing, so they are more likely to be on their limit, and susceptible to poor decision making. We saw lots of that at the Montreal eliminator event last year, where there were a lot of newer athletes to the circuit in the immediate aftermath of Tokyo and several athletes come off the bike...

In terms of my takeaways from the race. team GB is still a force to be reckoned with, taking both titles, and putting others in the top 15. The US ladies are in for a tough selection battle leading into Paris, even with some of their contenders missing (KZ and Summer R.), there were lots of good results, ant not a lot to choose from. Depending on the USOC selection criteria, like last year the auto qualifying races are going to be crucial... We saw a clear advantage largely to those who had done early races (either continental cups, or the Arena games events) vs. those with more ring rust... Lots of folks coming back from injuries or recovering from lingering COVID effects too, which will likely continue to affect various people throughout the year, and make racing a bit more unpredictable. France will be serious contenders come Paris on both men's and ladies' sides, even if it may not be their biggest stars (Luis & Beaugrand DNF'd, but Periault, Lombardi, Bergere, Conninx & Le Corre were all in the conversation)...Enviable depth, but could make for a difficult selection process with razor thin margins.

Definitely looking forward to the next block of races with Leeds, Montreal & Hamburg in quick succession. Montreal's MTR world champs could be wide open too, with several stars struggling to find their form, or on the training table...
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Bike racing we called some of that roller derby effect "racing like juniors", because you had these kids with huge sized engines, but their brains hadn't yet caught up (F1 engine, 486 processor)...
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody happen to have the course maps for the Pontevedra World Cup?
Particularly the bike, but the swim/run would be nice too.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen it yet, but a good place to start is if you can find archives of the maps for Duathlon worlds that have been held there twice...

Also Azarchena World Cup this weekend, will be a fun race to watch with a nasty bike course...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Azarchena World Cup this weekend, will be a fun race to watch with a nasty bike course...

Yes, arguably the best Word Triathlon course ever. Looking forward to see if Adrien Briffod 'rules' on this course again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Trauma wrote:
Azarchena World Cup this weekend, will be a fun race to watch with a nasty bike course...

Yes, arguably the best Word Triathlon course ever. Looking forward to see if Adrien Briffod 'rules' on this course again.

Maybe second to that bizarre uphill Kitzbuhl race they did a few years, where they were riding up the mountain dodging cows...

Looking forward to watching the carnage this weekend (carnage as in shattered people, rather than crashes, hopefully there are none of those).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mega entertaining races in Arzachena on Saturday. Johnny Brownlee showing that he might not yet be washed up on the World Tri circuit, leading away a 4 man bike break and then running away from the field to defend his title. Also super impressive run by Messias.

On the ladies side, a valiant effort my Gauthier on the bike, but without any help, it couldn't stick (impressive though that she still held on for a top 10). Great running by Dodet for the win.

All in all, great racing to kick off the Olympic Qualifying for Paris.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Mega entertaining races in Arzachena on Saturday. Johnny Brownlee showing that he might not yet be washed up on the World Tri circuit, leading away a 4 man bike break and then running away from the field to defend his title. Also super impressive run by Messias.

On the ladies side, a valiant effort my Gauthier on the bike, but without any help, it couldn't stick (impressive though that she still held on for a top 10). Great running by Dodet for the win.

All in all, great racing to kick off the Olympic Qualifying for Paris.

Couple of quick thoughts:

That bike accident looked nasty. I haven't heard anything about it. Were their major injuries? Was it Stornes?

JB not retiring is great news. It would be pretty surprising if team GB doesn't medal again in '24 so that seems to be a pretty compelling reason to give it another run.

On JB: did anyone see near the end that he had reached the end of his rivet? I saw one stride where he looked like he was losing control when he was maybe 50M from the blue carpet. I am glad it didn't get ugly for him (who am I kidding. I love watching the train wrecks!).

Dodet ran a smart race. In a run course with elevation the strategy to take it out hard to drop the pretenders isn't smart. The elevation will take care of that for you. Bad move by C-G, smart approach by Dodet.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what's happened to Mola? Just had a quick look at his Insta and he's training in TT position on the bike a lot this year.

Not seen him mentioned in any half or IM distance races. Edit his last post after translation says he's doing what looks around a half distance.

Has he retired from ITU now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems he was quite disappointed after his poor performance at Tokyo. He said he would switch to make distance for a while, but still aiming at Paris. But as you said, no races so far.

On a side note, I heard the bad collective performance of the Spanish squad at Tokyo was related to how badly they managed training during confinement.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like years since we seen an in form fully fit Mola, long before Covid? I'd be interested if he could ever get back to his best to see how he'd run with Yee.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was Stornes (broken arm) and Adrien Briffod (broken scapula, two broken ribs, detached lung). Adrien is still in hospital in Sardinia due to the lung issue, hoping to fly back to Switzerland soon. Obviously already a compromised Olympic selection unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez that sucks.

get well soon guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has just had a baby so maybe wasn't wanting to be away racing around birth and first few months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mola will race Zarautz MD in some days time. He is just giving himself a break from the WTS and those trips and taking advantage of new challengues as well as being with his baby.

He is aiming for Paris 24 for sure, 100%.

The matter is that he is 31 or 32 and i dont know if he will be able to outrun the sorts of Yee or Wilde. He must work on his swim again and rise his run one more step to face those youngsters.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply

Prev Next