Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Having a hard time seeing Lange as a favorite after watching him suffer on the bike at Oceanside and doing a bike split slower than Taylor Knibb, but on the other hand, the guy has managed to peak in October and win the race twice so who knows.

Agree, but not let's not forget he did take a wrong turn on the bike (not sure how much that effected his race).
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I talked to Lange's wife during the run , a few pros went off course on the bike dont know how much time it cost him though. I think 4 minutes or so. I bet he wins Ironman Texas as he trains in that area.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallhips wrote:
I talked to Lange's wife during the run , a few pros went off course on the bike dont know how much time it cost him though. I think 4 minutes or so. I bet he wins Ironman Texas as he trains in that area.

Yes, you are correct, I believe he just posted about it. I think Hernandez also missed the turn. So can't read too much into it. He did indicate he had been dropped from the front pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the course not that well marked? Just saw Lionel's PTN interview and he also missed a turn but quickly realized it. Seems like a lot of pro's missed turns. Considering everyone was talking about having too many pro's on the course, etc. you'd think it would be hard to miss when you just follow the person infront of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on his IG he stated that he was really cold in the swim -which is logical given his skinny body type- and got lost in the bike and was still cold, so much so that his back acted up and he had to wait till the end of the run to get back to his normal pace.

I think that a couple of Danes and Frenchies could get back in the mix: Chevrot, Guilloux, Magnien, Petersen, Hogenhaug, for example.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [jcgiraSHT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pole Wilkowiecki could be a dark horse, he plans to race Texas and Frankfurt and has finished 2nd in Texas last year and 2nd in Frankfurt in 2022.
but it looks like i am derailing the thread
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [jcgiraSHT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcgiraSHT wrote:
on his IG he stated that he was really cold in the swim -which is logical given his skinny body type- and got lost in the bike and was still cold, so much so that his back acted up and he had to wait till the end of the run to get back to his normal pace.

I think that a couple of Danes and Frenchies could get back in the mix: Chevrot, Guilloux, Magnien, Petersen, Hogenhaug, for example.

This was me last year in oceanside if you are light / thin it's hard to swim well and bike full effort. just like big guys hate the heat smaller athletes struggle in the cold.

not sure the start race list for Texas but do not sleep on mattew marquardt.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
jcgiraSHT wrote:
jcgiraSHT wrote:
The pole Wilkowiecki could be a dark horse, he plans to race Texas and Frankfurt and has finished 2nd in Texas last year and 2nd in Frankfurt in 2022.
not sure the start race list for Texas but do not sleep on mattew marquardt.
Of those names: nominations for Sanders contenders, only Chevrot #25 and Wilkowiecki #26 are on the Texas startlist (with Skipper #34 and Lange #9 already mentioned). Hanson #61 is also racing. The start list is closed.
https://sportstats.one/event/ironman-texas
Startlist (choose mpro): https://sportstats.one/results/130475

Getting your first IM in with Texas is a no brainer (to spread the effort out). Amazed more haven't, including Sanders ([Edit] [I'm surprised he didn't] at least entered).
Lange has chosen (and been paid) to do Roth (early July). He'll do Frankfurt (mid August) (think I have heard that in one of his insta posts) as his second IM. Am guessing an early June 70.3 (?Boulder) to save himself having to go to Taupo (where he will be blown away by Wilde/Iden/Stornes/van Riel/Schoeman/Blummenfelt/T100 crowd and very likely score less points than in Boulder; 500 points = seconds = +8:20).
Off topic, but the sort of factors Sanders #31 will have been mulling over.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 9, 24 0:59
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Searchable start list

Unfortunately he does not seem to be in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jcgiraSHT wrote:
Searchable start list

Unfortunately he does not seem to be in

On his Ironman.com tri profile it says his next upcoming event is Texas Ironman. Maybe he is no longer racing texas?

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
Last edited by: Triathletetoth: Apr 8, 24 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to Lionel. What a swim! Seriously didn’t think he had that in him. Sounds like the lead group when off course though? Did that contribute to the smallish gap for Lionel? If he can continue to swim like that and just get back to his previous bike and run capability then he’s in every race.

Also surprised there’s not more discussion about how Lionel and that other guy should have gotten penalties for not completing the pass when Sam Long “Rapp’d” them going up that hill. Maybe if there was a ref there he/she used good discretion.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Back to Lionel. What a swim! Seriously didn’t think he had that in him. Sounds like the lead group when off course though? Did that contribute to the smallish gap for Lionel? If he can continue to swim like that and just get back to his previous bike and run capability then he’s in every race.

Also surprised there’s not more discussion about how Lionel and that other guy should have gotten penalties for not completing the pass when Sam Long “Rapp’d” them going up that hill. Maybe if there was a ref there he/she used good discretion.

Didn’t he swim kind of normal , Hanson right beside him and a few regulars around the same time gaps .

Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are trying to make something out of two things that were utter nothing burgers. The leaders in the swim went off and lost maybe 3 seconds, and that climb was the way it should be. The confusion I saw was when Sam and Lionel(and others) caught the big group, and the sorting out it took for everyone to get into their respective places. It looked fine to me, but didnt see the whole thing unfold, and certainly there were a lot of guys side by side in zones for a bit there..

DO we know if any penalties were called on the men or women, I heard nothing on that front. And I think it is good when two large groups come together that the refs give it a minute to sort out, as it looks like they did here. The strong guys went to the front after the catch, put the hammer down and split the group, and then everyone rode as they were before. A collision of galaxies so to speak, it all looked pretty clean to me from what I saw...
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talbot just posted this on Instagram an hour ago. He got 70.3 down for sure. He didn’t swim super fast but it was fast enough to for him to get some confidence. I thought his bike leg might be weaker due to spending too much time on swimming, but I was wrong. What a beast he is!! It was a stacked field and he won legit. True champion of 2024 Oceanside 70.3.

https://www.instagram.com/...gsh=cHRwcHByYmVrandh
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the swim, that’s what I was asking. I didn’t see it so didn’t know how much it cost them, thanks.

What I’m talking about on the bike was on the steep hill where a lot of them looked like they ran out of gears, Lionel was 2nd behind Sam and enters the draft zone to pass him. At the same time the guy sitting 3rd enters Lionel’s draft zone to pass him. Guy in 3rd actually overtakes Lionel so now he’s got to drop back but at the same time Sam attacks before either Lionel or other guy could get in front of his wheel. By letter or law Lionel and other guy should have gotten penalties but given the circumstances seems like the right call was made. Everyone was going absolutely as hard as they could in that moment and Sam made it to where they couldn’t make the passes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The refs did a good job handling this imo. The hill is super steep, so no one is getting any significant advantage by being a couple feet into the draft zone. They applied the spirit of the law rather than the letter so riders didn’t have their races ruined by nitpick penalties.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right on the money as usual. good analysis.
monty wrote:
You are trying to make something out of two things that were utter nothing burgers. The leaders in the swim went off and lost maybe 3 seconds, and that climb was the way it should be. The confusion I saw was when Sam and Lionel(and others) caught the big group, and the sorting out it took for everyone to get into their respective places. It looked fine to me, but didnt see the whole thing unfold, and certainly there were a lot of guys side by side in zones for a bit there..

DO we know if any penalties were called on the men or women, I heard nothing on that front. And I think it is good when two large groups come together that the refs give it a minute to sort out, as it looks like they did here. The strong guys went to the front after the catch, put the hammer down and split the group, and then everyone rode as they were before. A collision of galaxies so to speak, it all looked pretty clean to me from what I saw...
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Gearup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New YouTube up on Oceanside. He’s doing St. George then Lake Placid. Really good interview.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
New YouTube up on Oceanside. He’s doing St. George [4 May] then Lake Placid [21 July]. Really good interview.
Wildcard incoming for Alcatraz (8 June) then? Can't 'not race' for 11 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno. One thing he mentioned in the interview was how he finally did a focused 12 week block leading into OS and didn’t jump into another race. He had bad FOMO about T100 Miami but was able to resist the urge. Basically one of the main takeaways was how much Erin sacrifices to support him in this journey and he needs to stop f’ing it up so that doesn’t go to waste. I think it’s also sunk in that he maybe has 5 good years left and it’s now or never.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some commentary, as you might expect, on ProTriNews.
Link edited: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ri-news/id1559781865
No intention to do a second IM before Kona. Might take a T100 wildcard, if offered, according the @talbot cox OTP.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 9, 24 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to the thread generally:
  1. I just went and culled some posts that are, quite simply, unacceptable around here.
  2. As part of our forum's lovely architecture, that means responses to those posts also disappear. Sorry about that.
  3. Be forewarned that we're squarely in "FAFO" territory. Please don't be a dick. Save that shit for Let'sRun.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Editor, why [rehash of prior argument that was deleted]?
Last edited by: rrheisler: Apr 11, 24 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [hiscotsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.

You've already tried this in other Lionel threads (yes, we went through your posting history). We get your point. You don't like Lionel and Talbot. Move along to other discussions.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, and I will continue to try it every chance I get. You’re right, I don’t like them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next