Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [MP1664] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Percentage of male world record
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
Percentage of male world record

Wave - I think you need to explain your comparison a bit more. B/c I've been comparing my swim times to run times since I was 15 or 16 yrs old, feel fairly confident in guessing that you're saying 18:30 for 1500 LCM equates to 15:55 for a 5K run based on % over the male WR. However, your average Joe Tri-guy has possibly never even thought about this, so you need to fully explain and show your calculations. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that is absolutely right, so if you take the mens 5km WR as 12.5 and a 16 minute 5km as a percentage you get 128%. And then you apply that to a 14.5, which is what we know the mens world record to be in the 1500m from sun yang, you get 18,30 or so.

Now where it gets interesting is to compare how a time goes against a masters world record. However I think there are greater variables in that, and we can accept the open world records as the equivalent of a maximum performance. Masters performance is situational - whether someone remains healthy, remains active, remains able to train a reasonable amount, whether they compete, etc.

Also the open records have been more static over at least the last 2 - 3 decades. However, many of the masters records significantly have improved over the last 2 - 3 decades, by a huge amount.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
Yes that is absolutely right, so if you take the mens 5km WR as 12.5 and a 16 minute 5km as a percentage you get 128%. And then you apply that to a 14.5, which is what we know the mens world record to be in the 1500m from sun yang, you get 18,30 or so.

Now where it gets interesting is to compare how a time goes against a masters world record. However I think there are greater variables in that, and we can accept the open world records as the equivalent of a maximum performance. Masters performance is situational - whether someone remains healthy, remains active, remains able to train a reasonable amount, whether they compete, etc.

Also the open records have been more static over at least the last 2 - 3 decades. However, many of the masters records significantly have improved over the last 2 - 3 decades, by a huge amount.

The only way I can think of to use the Masters WRs (MWRs) is to take the MWR/WR, get the %, and then apply it to your own times. For example, let's say the MWR for a given event in the M40-44 is 10% slower than the open WR, then your 40-44 masters time should be around 10% slower than what you swam at your peak. (This of course only applies to events you've swum over your lifetime.)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of ways.

Comparing certain masters records agains the open record to determine which are higher quality, based on the percentage of the age group. Also you can compare different events.

Comparing national masters to world masters records, against the open.

Comparing age group drop offs

Comparing your own time against other age groups in percentages

I do think some ages are more competitive in terms of numbers but are they relatively speaking fast age groups

Many masters athletes are over achieving compared to what they did in the open category.

I think my boss is calling me now!!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
dfru wrote:
Lionel and Sam do 1500 LCM in Oro Valley today

Lionel 19:38
Sam 20:00

Can someone offer context on these times? What would we expect is necessary for a front pack swim? What do we think a guy who is better at swimming but not a top swimmer like Magnus could do?

Didn't Lucy swim 16:45 in the Olympic trials a few years back? Granted, probably closer to 17:15-30 with tri training but Lucy would probably not be front pack with the men - although in a pack could hang?

With a ~17:30, yes she could hang on to front pack of the men but not be leading. Source: don't want to dissect the times and performances of someone I raced to respect his privacy, so "trust me bro" ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appears he is done with T26??

Coach on deck was one point.

Mentioned Justin and not Gerry.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It didn’t seem like T26 was anything other than “collaboration” being that he was never going to leave Tucson and he was going to do on deck coaching w local groups.. Was likely more of a “check in” type of consultation coaching.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I was sure he wasn’t moving it seemed way more than a check in. Especially after watching the T26 video and some of his older videos.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point is it's not necessarily ended relationship, he can certainly use T26 for guidance/sounding board/ video analysis. I mean that's all it was going to ever be once he went all in with the Tucson on deck coaching.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
While I was sure he wasn’t moving it seemed way more than a check in. Especially after watching the T26 video and some of his older videos.
Watching some of his older videos is highly entertaining in itself as you see just how much crazy flip-flopping he has done over the years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When is Lionels next race?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Gearup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His buddy Trevor Foley is racing IM TX. A safe bet for Lionel would be either Oceanside or IM TX.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
His buddy Trevor Foley is racing IM TX. A safe bet for Lionel would be either Oceanside or IM TX.

I'd go out on a limb and say safe bet for both.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talbot said a later US IM or one overseas I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Gearup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gearup wrote:
When is Lionels next race?
I'd be amazed if he didn't do Oceanside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

New video day!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dog days of full time swim training volume hitting LS hard. He's realizing the age old issue....How do you improve the swim with still having B and R training in the picture.

This video was actually before the swim meet he did what a month ago now. He basically didn't "taper" for that for what it's worth with earlier diiscussion, disecting the results.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm more surprised he's not doing IM TX and doesn't seem to have a 140.6 on the schedule, at least whenever that was filmed he didn't.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's his qualification status? Does the top 3 from a few years back give him "validation" status still or does he actually have to qualify?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What's his qualification status? Does the top 3 from a few years back give him "validation" status still or does he actually have to qualify?

No.

https://www.ironman.com/pro-athletes

Scroll to the bottom and it shows qualified athletes. However, for some reason Laidlow isn’t listed 🤷‍♂️

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

No.

Scroll to the bottom and it shows qualified athletes. However, for some reason Laidlow isn’t listed 🤷‍♂️

Aren't "qualified" & "validated" 2 different things these days? Meaning Laidlow could be qualified (because of being the reigning champ) but not validated because he hasn't done another IM since Nice.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct.

Champions qualify for the following 5 years. 2nd and 3rd qualify only for the following year.

They all need to validate.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

No.

He's qualified, we all know that. Reigning Champion is an auto-qualifier. He probably hasn't joined the start list at this time. Since slots also roll down like for Amateurs.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next