Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Feels like we go from training smart and not smash yourself to "Training from morning to night"/"All i can do is outtrain everyone". Hope he gets the balance right!
You just have to go back a year or two on his channel to see that this is just another "rinse and repeat" phase of plans he has had before. It is actually really interesting to go back and watch a few of his old videos. I am just looking forward to the northern season starting.as it is going to be an epic year.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha I more feel like LS and Talbot talking before hand “I got nothing with content anymore” so they just go into the Rolodex of catch phrases to make another weekly video. Like the mental gymnastics LS must likely go through in his head with creating “another video”, it’s now comical. It’s not even real anymore. But that’s the game he must play with content and that’s gotta be hard as hell to do at this point.

As Nick said- the race season can’t get here soon enough for likely fans and athletes.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 21, 24 6:11
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Ha I more feel like LS and Talbot talking before hand “I got nothing with content anymore” so they just go into the Rolodex of catch phrases to make another weekly video. Like the mental gymnastics LS must likely go through in his head with creating “another video”, it’s now comical. It’s not even real anymore. But that’s the game he must play with content and that’s gotta be hard as hell to do at this point.

As Nick said- the race season can’t get here soon enough for likely fans and athletes.

There's really not much to say about winter training that's exciting. Tough to make a compelling video about how this year he's doing 4x40 at 76% compared to last year's 4x45 at 77%.

Antithetical to making training videos, but it's sometimes best (especially for a chronic overthinker) to just shut down their mind and do the work.

"Lionel, what are we doing today?"
"Idk, it's programmed into Zwift so I'll just pedal until it says I'm done"
"And what are we doing after that"
"A run or something, we'll deal with that when we get to it"
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a windtunnel test! And I think this is the first time we saw a different position, much more stretched out and hands only slightly up. Should be interesting to see what he's doing aerodynamically in his first race. Maybe Marc can chime in.

Talbot and Lionel know what they are doing, obviously. The LS fans drink it all in and the rest of us talk about it endlessly. The only thing that would help more for them would be for these convos to happen in youtube comments. Things that seem silly, conversations and such - aren't an accident. These guys are much more astute than ST gives them credit for (in general with this - not saying you think this Brooks)

Anyways - he's having fun, enthusiastic. Training hard with Trevor (on the TF page I think someone suspected a split between them because of comments haha).

Always a fun ride with LS. Always!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Feels like we go from training smart and not smash yourself to "Training from morning to night"/"All i can do is outtrain everyone". Hope he gets the balance right!

Yes, one can get whiplash following these videos.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
lassekk wrote:

You just have to go back a year or two on his channel to see that this is just another "rinse and repeat" phase of plans he has had before. It is actually really interesting to go back and watch a few of his old videos. I am just looking forward to the northern season starting.as it is going to be an epic year.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this. He made all this talk about a brand new approach, being smarter, esc.. but this seems like the exact same thing he's been doing. I'm not here to say it won't work or he's doing anything wrong, but this sure feels like the exact same thing he's been doing.

"trashlete20" for 20% off Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
Youtube
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was interesting to hear how he's going to basically keep a high volume approach throughout the whole year with the swim in addition to adding B and R volume. Mentioned 35k weeks and his "most" last year was in the low 2x which he considered "a lot". Obviously that's the elephant in the room. How do you keep improving when you get out of specific "swim block" training....So his big riddle will be how do you maintain "swim block" volume while also adding B and R volume on the body and not feel gassed before you even race.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [csb146] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean? He swam less than 20k a week, only doing 15h total volume a week and extremely polarised with so much high end intensity. In this video he talks about literally doing the opposite…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you even watch it? Most entertaining & engaging video content in triathlon, miles ahead of anything else… who cares how the sausage is made
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely agree that it is like back to the future with his approach, training methods etc. I think in 2020 he was in the best shape of his life, 2021 was likely his second best then after Tokyo, just too many younger faster guys racing mid and LC.

But you have to hand it to the guy that he is a master of social media. Ditlev just issued a video where he swims 6,000 m, does a hard bike session with a 340 W warm up and a bunch of 400-500 W intervals, then he drops a 15 min 5 k off the bike on a random winter day in Denmark...and he only got like 30 k views. The thread just got filed in ST forum with a single response (by me lol) How many views did Lionel get when he did a standalone 15 min 5 k video?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Nillsvdb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I watched it, see my last comment on his “high volume” swim approach rest of year.

He’s content is king and yet that specific content video was very “meh”. I get it he’s content king, but that video was a 6 out of 10, just check box putting out content, comtent.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Nillsvdb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nillsvdb wrote:
Did you even watch it? Most entertaining & engaging video content in triathlon, miles ahead of anything else… who cares how the sausage is made

I agree with this. A lot of the other (especially female) content makers are too giggly for no reason and end up annoying me with their lack of numbers transparency. Lionel puts his massive #'s out there for everyone to see.

I know those monster watts is what makes us say, GOT DAMN, but having them makes it more interesting.
Last edited by: thatzone: Feb 21, 24 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
I completely agree that it is like back to the future with his approach, training methods etc. I think in 2020 he was in the best shape of his life, 2021 was likely his second best then after Tokyo, just too many younger faster guys racing mid and LC.

But you have to hand it to the guy that he is a master of social media. Ditlev just issued a video where he swims 6,000 m, does a hard bike session with a 340 W warm up and a bunch of 400-500 W intervals, then he drops a 15 min 5 k off the bike on a random winter day in Denmark...and he only got like 30 k views. The thread just got filed in ST forum with a single response (by me lol) How many views did Lionel get when he did a standalone 15 min 5 k video?
I posted a Sam Laidlow video about his trip to Maurten HQ and got no replies so a while later posted another one and got one reply. The dude is the current IM World Champ and almost nobody here cares. Mind boggling.
Love the laid back attitude of Detlev.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The dude is the current IM World Champ and almost nobody here cares. Mind boggling.
Love the laid back attitude of Detlev.//

Its not that we dont care, just that these guys are new to this social thing and not really very good at it as of yet. I watched Sam's and Detlev's vids, they were just ok. Now Joe Skippers are compelling, and now we even know his posse and are getting to like them too. Sam had this whole entro to his posse, and frankly it was boring and I got nothing from it, even fast forwarded through most of it after the first one..Lionle's posse is always entertaining and he brings them into his world and ours.

The one thing I thought was funny was Sam's hat and him making a joke from his recent drug scandal accusations. Something like I'm so good that they think I'm cheating? It is not a easy thing to do, and certainly how good you are is a very tiny part of it. Gwen's are equally bad and she has been at it for awhile longer. I suppose in the end it s really about personality, and how it comes across to us viewers. In some respect that can be manufactured, but reality is you either have it or you dont. Like that other thing we all like to watch, you know it when you see it... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The funny thing about training numbers transparency. I get a kick out of which numbers athlete's share in these videos. IE- there's a reason why LS won't share a single swim workout split ever, and yet he'll flex on just about every workout video with eye popping B or R splits. To be fair to LS, others have behaved in the same way (GJ won't ever give a swim split but she'll drop every run workout split she does on video). I just find it interesting what splits get shared with and which splits don't get shared with. I've always thought the best content is sharing the workout and splits within said workout video, if you want full transparency (again I get why LS doesn't share "meh" swim splits, just find it interesting when they then share a strong B or R split in the same video).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope you've checked out Daniel Baekkegard's channel. The cinematic videos in particular are very good. Eric Lagerstrom's videos on TTL are also extremely good, but it's almost an entirely different genre of video.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TBH I find these very boring, they look cool and the music is nice but I’m never engaged or inspired. Lionel just has much more personality
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nillsvdb wrote:
TBH I find these very boring, they look cool and the music is nice but I’m never engaged or inspired. Lionel just has much more personality

Same here. I don't know why but I can't seem to finish other guys videos. TTL is good though. Recent TTL wetsuit comparison videos are awesome and I'm surprised they don't have wetsuit sponsor yet. Even Ari Klau has Sailfish.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They said by their choice. Looking for one that Paula feels comfy in. I’m sure they will have one when they want one.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Nillsvdb wrote:

Same here. I don't know why but I can't seem to finish other guys videos. TTL is good though. Recent TTL wetsuit comparison videos are awesome and I'm surprised they don't have wetsuit sponsor yet. Even Ari Klau has Sailfish.

I watch a lot of them . The views are a lot to do with production of what, why , huh??? Lionel is a mystery and talbot pushes that angle ( with questions and let’s him talk in circles ) so it’s more fun. Magnus, sam , etc you watch and go wow they are doing it the right way can’t complain about that. Good luck.

Jj reddick is in the news with fox sports about sport talk, he says he breaks down the last 5 min of a pelicans game 50,000 views , bad comment about doc rivers ( controversy) 1,000,000 plus views .

I am not sure about Lionel’s schedule but it he is doing Texas time for some volume . If he is not and doing Oceanside and Miami keep the speed it’s a long year to kona.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nillsvdb wrote:

Same. I watch them all but Lionel videos are the only ones I actually look forward to and my watts increase unintentionally on the trainer lol.

That said, he definitely is going in circles still. Though this time hopefully seems to be on the right track if he doesn't fatigue himself too much and dig another hole. Last year low volume high intensity, this year high volume mid intensity. Let's see how it goes. Either way, I'll follow along.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow I’m surprised.

Talbot, keep doing what you’re doing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
The funny thing about training numbers transparency. I get a kick out of which numbers athlete's share in these videos. IE- there's a reason why LS won't share a single swim workout split ever, and yet he'll flex on just about every workout video with eye popping B or R splits. To be fair to LS, others have behaved in the same way (GJ won't ever give a swim split but she'll drop every run workout split she does on video). I just find it interesting what splits get shared with and which splits don't get shared with. I've always thought the best content is sharing the workout and splits within said workout video, if you want full transparency (again I get why LS doesn't share "meh" swim splits, just find it interesting when they then share a strong B or R split in the same video).

All his swim workouts are on Strava...well up until mid Jan anyway.
Last edited by: lastlap: Feb 21, 24 14:17
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All his swim workouts are still on the Form app too.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well for us Strava/app challenged folks, perhaps some of you versed in that language could translate some of the bigger and faster sets he has been doing in the pool? That would be fun to look at and get a glimpse of where he is at these days...
Quote Reply

Prev Next