Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
marcag wrote:
Mark explained it in the other thread : "4 more who could be of any rank that would add value to the series"
So top 16 + 4 more of any rank that would add value gets a contract? So no wild cards?
This is the Sanders thread. PTO Tour races are off topic: didn't you listen to his videos?
PS: If they do contract 20, not all those contracted will race every race so there should be a few wildcards each time, to make a race's field 20 strong.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chlorine hair tells other swimmers you have been swimming a lot. like cycling sock tan lines.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
asianzone wrote:
marcag wrote:
Mark explained it in the other thread : "4 more who could be of any rank that would add value to the series"
So top 16 + 4 more of any rank that would add value gets a contract? So no wild cards?
This is the Sanders thread. PTO Tour races are off topic: didn't you listen to his videos?
PS: If they do contract 20, not all those contracted will race every race so there should be a few wildcards each time, to make a race's field 20 strong.

He has a dream for Kona. Kona brings so many into the sport not money or Olympic medals. So many triathletes from 2000 to today could have been a Ironman kona world champ but they chased a medal and ended up 7-15 th, they could swim and bike front pack but not crack the run split.

times they are a changing.

I think a lot of ITU guys are seeing Sam and others get so much for long course vs them but they were beating them in everything 5 years ago. Rico is a goo example too can be top 5 in short course in Germany but is 70.3 world champ.

Lionel's best and only play since 2018 has been ironman distance. Youth is faster then ever at 70.3 and PTO and are going into long course earlier.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
New video

I couldn't help but smile when he said the v02 max session was easy so he started skipping the 90s rest. And then said afterwards he had a hard swim tomorrow so he didn't want to over do it. Unless I missed something there....uh, didn't you just run the risk of doing that? Please please please Lionel don't be a training super star that leaves it all on the trainer and shows up to the race feeling fit, but exhausted halfway in from months of digging. Save the "dig deep" days for the race, and don't put yourself into the race of digging deep to crush training days. I hope he can just trust the process of letting the fitness build up and the race will unfold however it does and that's where he can start digging deep.

Anyway, I'm glad to see he's made the correct decision :)

Great shots across the years Talbot!

Lionel being Lionel.....again.

Lionel: I need to build a base.

2min. later.....let's do some VO2max intervals

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
asianzone wrote:
marcag wrote:

He has a dream for Kona. Kona brings so many into the sport not money or Olympic medals. So many triathletes from 2000 to today could have been a Ironman kona world champ but they chased a medal and ended up 7-15 th, they could swim and bike front pack but not crack the run split.

I think a lot of ITU guys are seeing Sam and others get so much for long course vs them but they were beating them in everything 5 years ago. Rico is a goo example too can be top 5 in short course in Germany but is 70.3 world champ.

Lionel's best and only play since 2018 has been ironman distance. Youth is faster then ever at 70.3 and PTO and are going into long course earlier.

Doesn't the series winner of the WTCS make bank? I could have sworn we had a discussion on here about why guys like Gomez Noya didn't fully transition to long course. Money is too good there and not great in long course. The PTO and Ironman doesn't change it that much, or does it?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTCS podium is very good money and to do it 5 ish times a year + the GF is even more. Then the end of year bonus. The main issue with WTCS is that it's so podium heavy that being 12th in the world means your not even getting $3k for a race result. To be 12th or 16th in the world and you make less than $30k for the entire year....And of course for 1 generation of WTCS athletes, anytime AB/Gomez/JB raced you were pretty much not going to podium. I wish I remember their stats, I think they had a 90% chance of podium if they entered....Like that's just beyond stupid good.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
asianzone wrote:
marcag wrote:

Doesn't the series winner of the WTCS make bank? I could have sworn we had a discussion on here about why guys like Gomez Noya didn't fully transition to long course. Money is too good there and not great in long course. The PTO and Ironman doesn't change it that much, or does it?

Top itu guys maybe but guys like Rico and Sam could not make their counties short course teams even ( prime athletes speed and power 20-28 years of age) so they basically had to go long course and make way more but also it’s not about money , THEY WIN WORLD TITLES , rather then be a slow itu runner.

itu will use you up and spit you out , it takes your best years. Jan left at the right time didn’t have to kill himself behind Ali and Gomez and Jonny for an extra 3 years before realizing it.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
New video

I couldn't help but smile when he said the v02 max session was easy so he started skipping the 90s rest. And then said afterwards he had a hard swim tomorrow so he didn't want to over do it. Unless I missed something there....uh, didn't you just run the risk of doing that? Please please please Lionel don't be a training super star that leaves it all on the trainer and shows up to the race feeling fit, but exhausted halfway in from months of digging. Save the "dig deep" days for the race, and don't put yourself into the race of digging deep to crush training days. I hope he can just trust the process of letting the fitness build up and the race will unfold however it does and that's where he can start digging deep.

Anyway, I'm glad to see he's made the correct decision :)

Lionel being Lionel.....again.

Lionel: I need to build a base.

2min. later.....let's do some VO2max intervals

Hahaha, I was also mildly confused about that. Just like myself i just really think he cant stick to a training plan :)
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
earthling wrote:
WTF has happened to his hair??? Calling 1980 - come in 1980...........

you clearly weren't a swimmer in high school. Chlorine-burned hair is all the rage.

I was not a high school swimmer and neither was Lionel! He has managed to get the chlorine burned hair look down to an art form though. Chapeau.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
WTCS podium is very good money and to do it 5 ish times a year + the GF is even more. Then the end of year bonus. The main issue with WTCS is that it's so podium heavy that being 12th in the world means your not even getting $3k for a race result. To be 12th or 16th in the world and you make less than $30k for the entire year....And of course for 1 generation of WTCS athletes, anytime AB/Gomez/JB raced you were pretty much not going to podium. I wish I remember their stats, I think they had a 90% chance of podium if they entered....Like that's just beyond stupid good.

Are you talking prize money (and year end bonus) only? Because that's not the sole source of income for WTCS athletes. Even without mentioning the Super League, if they want to switch to the LD scene, they must prepare to lose their national federation support which can be massive in some countries.
I'm not sure but I'm willing to bet a French athlete who is 12th in the world makes a lot more than 30k for a year if you combine direct cash with services he would pay for if he was not supported by his NF. Hell, they are even funded by their city council and/or county council. 10 years ago, in an interview with the most prominent national newspaper, Vincent Luis said a French athlete ranked 20th in the world would earn between €3k and €5k per month. He didn't mention the free services provided by the NF, and the Super League didn't exist in those days.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [tof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm talking prize purse only (individual federation support is not always easily accessible information). Federation support varies widely from federation to federation and even then it's usually tiered in terms of podium talent vs non-podium talent. I remember in 2016 Joe Maloy finished ranked 16th in the world and made $12k in prize money for that year. That's almost 10 years ago, but the prize structure at WTCS hasn't changed since pre Rio.

On the whole federation support covers your basic coaching stipend, some of your food, rent and likely most of your WTCS travel. More athletes at that level have "meh" federation support than massive support that goes to the podium favorites, etc. Yes it's obviously still some support than LC athletes for most federations; and of course we are talking about a non-revenue sport, so like it's not as if federations are hoarding money to put their WTCS in bad spots. Generally these federations don't really have all that money in a sport like tri to begin with.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 16, 24 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I never got to deep in the interview/discussion part other than "I started with IRONMAN and I will end with IRONMAN" - but got the gist of that (more in a second)

But that opening collage of video of Lionel over the last few years meshed with the music was really well done - some of the best work that Talbot has done. Impressive stuff!

As others have said - Lionel being Lionel. He will go down as the warrior that he is, battling right to the very end. It's the end that he wanted, if this is the end of the road racing at this level for him - a big final swing at the IMWC in it's ancestral home in Kona! Remember, this is now a once every other year thing now! I don't think Nice would be a good course for Lionel

As I have said for some time now, the win for Lionel and his Sponsors is the views and eyeballs on the Social Media Channels. In less than 2 days that recent video has over 64,000 views on YouTube! I remember, when Lionel went for the Hour Record. I was Hosting it on the Live Stream in the Mattamy National Cycling Center in Milton, Ontario, and Talbot texted me, while I was Commentating it all, and said that we had over 15,000 people watching Lionel, LIVE - go around and around and around a velodrome for an hour! What other Triathlete would pull in these kind of numbers - perhaps ONLY Jan?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love him (which i do), or love him less, Lionel is GREAT for the sport.

I hope he finds the right path for him to succeed at Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [deantrives] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Trust me. I know.

I have done a few Public One-on-One interviews with Lionel over the years, and when I look out into the audience, I can literally see people on the edge of their seats, leaning in and absorbing EVERY word that Lionel was saying. If he said' "go out in the lobby of this hotel and do 20 upside-down handstand push ups, because it will make you faster" Everyone in the audience would have done it! :-)

He's that rare super-elite level athlete who has come down from the mountain and walks among the mortals, making that direct connection with them!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Trust me. I know.

I have done a few Public One-on-One interviews with Lionel over the years, and when I look out into the audience, I can literally see people on the edge of their seats, leaning in and absorbing EVERY word that Lionel was saying. If he said' "go out in the lobby of this hotel and do 20 upside-down handstand push ups, because it will make you faster" Everyone in the audience would have done it! :-)

He's that rare super-elite level athlete who has come down from the mountain and walks among the mortals, making that direct connection with them!

Another chance you can make direct connection with him. He asked fans what video content they want in his Instagram, so go there and post!!!

One more thing. Lionel should do shoe test and find what's best for him. So many new ones came out and I think he can find something better than Asics. Molly Seidel went to Puma lab and did some extensive testing and I want to see that happening with LS too. Alphafly 3, Rebellion Pro 2, Rocket X 2, Fast-R, Adios Pro 3, Vaporfly 3, Echo 3... so many options are available out there now. Since he doesn't have a shoe sponsor, he should definitely look into what's best for him.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rotocol%3F_P8073463/
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I vote for wind tunnel stuff
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any update on that? Talbot replied on an instagram comment that he couldn’t go the Canyon one as it wasn’t ready but that he would go to one in the US on his own expense…
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Nillsvdb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nillsvdb wrote:
Any update on that? Talbot replied on an instagram comment that he couldn’t go the Canyon one as it wasn’t ready but that he would go to one in the US on his own expense…

Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon should be paying for that................

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope Talbot was there with you.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:

No, unfortunately not. Good session with Lionel lots of position testing, good clothing tests, a wide range of helmets and hydration.

More important IMO, very good correlation to road testing.

I suspect Lionel will share details some way.
Last edited by: marcag: Jan 30, 24 17:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many positions? :)

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Canyon should be paying for that................

Maybe they are.

He also mentioned previously they offered many times for him to fly to Germany and do extensive testing, but he declined.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
How many positions? :)

14 runs related to position
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:

Talbot's wife just gave birth to their first child so he's at home.
Quote Reply

Prev Next