Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is really interesting. Shiv Finder tells me that I could go Small or XS. More specifically, it says I can use a 25mm setback seatpost. If my BB to top of seat is 710mm and BB to seat clamp is 665mm, do you know if there is enough clearance for a bottle? Thanks in advance for the mockup.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [shinacmaha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shinacmaha wrote:
This is really interesting. Shiv Finder tells me that I could go Small or XS. More specifically, it says I can use a 25mm setback seatpost. If my BB to top of seat is 710mm and BB to seat clamp is 665mm, do you know if there is enough clearance for a bottle? Thanks in advance for the mockup.

Hey shinacmaha

You are right at the borderline. On a size SMALL you can utilize the system without modification as long as you use the forward offset (+25mm) seatpost. If you use the Standard 0mm offset post you would have slight interference.

On size XS you can use either post.

As long as your saddle setback and reach are OK with the +25mm post, I would recommend the SMALL. Make sure your dealer knows you will want this post because availability during COVID-19 may be varied
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan wrote in his review that the L size of the new Shiv is really only large and people taller than 6’3 may find the bike too tight. I am between 6’3 and 6’4. I can fit on the bike with my pad X and Y (475 and 690, but I will likely move a bit longer and lower with time) according to Shiv’s specs, but I wonder whether the frame may be too small for me and lacking in handling as a result. It has unusual specs: its front center in L is 627mm which is normal for L/56 and is probably on the short side for me, however its wheelbase is 1031mm which is more XL/58 territory. Any ideas on whether this can be a good bike for me? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the quick response. really appreciate the information and service.... really helpful when deciding b/t options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of questions that I couldn't find on the website.

Do you know if the Shiv Disc can do 140mm brake rotors front and rear? Tim Don in an interview said his were 160mm front and rear for easier universal on course wheel support. However, I'd like to be able to switch out wheels sets that I have.

What is the maximum tire clearance for the Shiv Disc? I've got 28mm on my Tarmac now which is closer to 30mm inflated. Will those fit in the Shiv Disc?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dimm wrote:
Dan wrote in his review that the L size of the new Shiv is really only large and people taller than 6’3 may find the bike too tight. I am between 6’3 and 6’4. I can fit on the bike with my pad X and Y (475 and 690, but I will likely move a bit longer and lower with time) according to Shiv’s specs, but I wonder whether the frame may be too small for me and lacking in handling as a result. It has unusual specs: its front center in L is 627mm which is normal for L/56 and is probably on the short side for me, however its wheelbase is 1031mm which is more XL/58 territory. Any ideas on whether this can be a good bike for me? Thanks.

Hi Dimm

I think the LRG will be an ideal fit for you. Your pad position will basically be centered on the fork and your stack is mid range so you have plenty of room to adjust your fit and handling should be as designed.

Remember the new shiv went to 4 sizes from a previous 5, and the design philosophy largely transitioned to get fit through adjustment in the cockpit and not in the frame. This allows for lower frontal area for most riders and improved aero.

Handling of this bike I would describe as stable, and unless you have a really long reach, it should not be a factor.
Last edited by: GatorRacer: Jul 16, 20 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shinacmaha wrote:

Do you know if the Shiv Disc can do 140mm brake rotors front and rear? Tim Don in an interview said his were 160mm front and rear for easier universal on course wheel support. However, I'd like to be able to switch out wheels sets that I have.

What is the maximum tire clearance for the Shiv Disc? I've got 28mm on my Tarmac now which is closer to 30mm inflated. Will those fit in the Shiv Disc?

Hey shinacmaha,

Yes you can choose your rotor size. Shiv works with 28s and should clear the measured 30 inflated. The clearance "pinch" is at the fuelcell to wheel top-dead-center and not the frame actually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
Dimm wrote:

Hi Dimm

I think the LRG will be an ideal fit for you. Your pad position will basically be centered on the fork and your stack is mid range so you have plenty of room to adjust your fit and handling should be as designed.

Remember the new shiv went to 4 sizes from a previous 5, and the design philosophy largely transitioned to get fit through adjustment in the cockpit and not in the frame. This allows for lower frontal area for most riders and improved aero.

Handling of this bike I would describe as stable, and unless you have a really long reach, it should not be a factor.

Thank you. Very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shinacmaha wrote:

I have both 140 rotors
Last edited by: enricobraglia: Jul 22, 20 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any word on whether there will be new colors released any time soon?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I have a couple of issues with my Shiv Disc Tri and wanted to check if you have the same.

Any of you has a clicking noise while using the Shiv on the smart trainer. I have a clicking noise while I’m on my Tacx Neo 2 and so far I’ve been able to isolate the noise around the rear derailleur, hanger or axle area but not exactly sure what it is.
It only happens sometimes on the hard efforts. It feels like the chain/seat stays flexed a bit (this does not happen with my Venge).
I was thinking of replacing the hanger for a direct drive hanger, but not sure if I should order the wheels manufacturing 374 or 380.

And the other issue is that I found that sweat is able to leak in the frame through the Fuelcell borders even if the container is in place and sweat is pooling at the bottom bracket. This could potentially damage the BB bearings if left with sweat inside. I workaround this by sealing the fuelcell area with plastic for indoor workouts.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:
And the other issue is that I found that sweat is able to leak in the frame through the Fuelcell borders even if the container is in place and sweat is pooling at the bottom bracket. This could potentially damage the BB bearings if left with sweat inside. I workaround this by sealing the fuelcell area with plastic for indoor workouts.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi guillermoD,

There should be a drain hole in the BB to allow for any moisture to evacuate the frame. Can you see if this is clogged?

I dont think you are at risk of the bearings being contaminated because they are elevated within the shell; it would take a significant amount of liquid to fill but I do agree you do not want pooling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a problem for routing my Sram etap shift cable in the base bar. Is it possible to route them? It seem the holes are is small for sram etap cable pins and I had to pass the outside
Last edited by: enricobraglia: Jul 24, 20 5:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks GatorRacer! I found the drain hole, in fact it was still silicone sealed from manufacturing I guess, but no clogged.
It should be fine now.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
enricobraglia wrote:
I have a problem for routing my Sram etap shift cable in the base bar. Is it possible to route them? It seem the holes are is small for sram etap cable pins and I had to pass the outside

Hi enricobraglia,

Yes it is possible, but the size of the SRAM pin definitely makes it tricky. There is a SRAM spec bike so it clearly is possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:

Hi enricobraglia,

Yes it is possible, but the size of the SRAM pin definitely makes it tricky. There is a SRAM spec bike so it clearly is possible.

Thank you GatorRacer ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A follow up question for you GatorRacer in similar fashion...

I noticed that the central tower where wires and hydration hose goes in only has wire ports at the front of the tower. With the included extensions you run wire out side of extension and into center piece.
If you were to use aftermarket aero extensions where di2/SRAM cable exits the rear of the extension, how does one maintain the clean cable routing?

I'm hoping that the tower itself is reversible so that you can run the cable out of the back of the extension and then into the holes on the center piece turned around.
I"m afraid that your only options to drill holes in the aero extensions in front of the tower where the cable go in?
Or is there really no clean option for aftermarket extensions that do not have holes pre molded or drilled in the side of the extensions?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shinacmaha wrote:

I noticed that the central tower where wires and hydration hose goes in only has wire ports at the front of the tower. With the included extensions you run wire out side of extension and into center piece.
If you were to use aftermarket aero extensions where di2/SRAM cable exits the rear of the extension, how does one maintain the clean cable routing?

I'm hoping that the tower itself is reversible so that you can run the cable out of the back of the extension and then into the holes on the center piece turned around.
I"m afraid that your only options to drill holes in the aero extensions in front of the tower where the cable go in?
Or is there really no clean option for aftermarket extensions that do not have holes pre molded or drilled in the side of the extensions?

Thanks

This is correct. If you do not use the provided extensions, then you must route external out the back of the extension...the tower is not reversible. Wiring is designed to enter through the front.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m curious to hear how people are getting along with this bike now that it’s been out for a while.

How is the badder working out? Presumably most would only use it for race days (and no one is racing) but is it leaky?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Everyone!

I would like to ask your opinion. Is it worth to switch from a fully loaded Speci Shiv Pro to the new Shiv disc (expert frame + DA)? Is it worth about 3-4k to upgrade from the older shiv (and selling it) to the new one?

That's a fairly frugal estimate considering that I can get a frameset at 2-2.5k more, a wheelset at 500 more, a dura-ace di2 disc brake groupset about another 500 more than the price I can sell the stuff I have on my current bike. I feel it's not worth the hassle and the disc brake is not that important on a triathlon bike, but sometimes I get squealing from my brakes downhill and the braking power vanishes. That's why I'd like to hear about your opinion! Cheers!

Happy riding!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shinacmaha wrote:

Thanks

With Sync Ergonomics handlebars all the cables pass inside the extensions

[url=https://postimg.cc/bGcRgy4v][/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
today I have installed the rear drinking sacket but I have a lot of problem to drink water, it doesn't arrive well the water at the drinking valve and I have to suck a lot (impossible when I am pedalling hard). What I did wrong installing it? Or is normal?
(sorry for my english I'm italian)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enricobraglia wrote:
today I have installed the rear drinking sacket but I have a lot of problem to drink water, it doesn't arrive well the water at the drinking valve and I have to suck a lot (impossible when I am pedalling hard). What I did wrong installing it? Or is normal?

This is definitely not normal

Check that the bladder did not fold over within the hydration fuel cell. This can sometimes happen especially at the mounting point cutout. The 2nd place to check is to make sure the straw is not kinked behind the nosecone area
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:

This is definitely not normal

Check that the bladder did not fold over within the hydration fuel cell. This can sometimes happen especially at the mounting point cutout. The 2nd place to check is to make sure the straw is not kinked behind the nosecone area

Thank you GatorRacer, it was the second problem in the nosecone. Now it works very well !! What a bike the Shiv disc
Thank you thank you thank you
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you after anything specific? I came from an entry level bike which was enough no question about that but upgraded to the Shiv Disc Expert version. I never thought I woudl actually feel that much of a difference. The saddle was the only thing that did not work for me but the rest was great from my first ride. I only got to race a 70.3 at the start of the year and I was much faster than the year before (but also trained a whole year more I guess).

For the 70.3 I only added the bottle between my arms and that with gels and electrolyte tables was all i needed for the bike. So the bladder was filled with water. I found it very easy to have 2 straws at the front for hydration and nutrition. You don't have to come out of your position at all. For a full IM my strategy woudl change and I woudl fill the bladder with carbs (maurten packs a lot of carbs in there) and have gels and electrolyte tablets. Then I can either have additional bottles at the back or just take water from aid stations.

Overall I find this bike very comfortable and have no issue with it. My bike fitter was extremely stoked on how easy it was to adjust it and for travel it is great as well.

I am only 62kg and when it gets windy I have no issues with bike handling at all. Something I was actually nervous about and very surprised once I rode the bike even with deeper wheels. I would even say that at least it feels like you are going faster (but have nothing to proof you actually do).

I hope this helps!
Quote Reply

Prev Next