Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [maarten.claes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The link doesn't work anymore.

I am a bit struggling right now to reconnect it on mine...
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has any used an aftermarket aero extensions yet? Something like the Drag2Zero Ergo Hi-Rise. Just wondering if they function well with the base bar and the 10-degree pad shim (or after market shims)
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [iainbanks1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iainbanks1 wrote:
Has any used an aftermarket aero extensions yet? Something like the Drag2Zero Ergo Hi-Rise. Just wondering if they function well with the base bar and the 10-degree pad shim (or after market shims)

Hey iainbanks1

They will of course fit and work, but they drastically reduce the fit range due to short straight section on the tubing. If your reach is within that narrow range they can work just fine.

The Ride Sync extensions offer a similar rise without as much compromise to the reach adjustment if you are not 100% dialed with your fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:

PS We will not redesign for 2020 ;)

Hello GatorRacer
May I just suggest for 2021, new basebar wings. We are 6 in my squad to own a Shiv Disc and 5 of us are touching the basebar with the knees when standing on the pedals (and I am not talking about a pure sprint, just a common "relaunch" or steep section where you need to go off the saddle).
I don't know if others here have also to complain about it but for us, it is really a shame as this bike (especially when you train in a hilly area) is otherwise close to perfect.
I tried to attach a picture with quick draw of what I am meaning (a design directly more forward after the tilting bolt to offer clearance for the knees).

Thanks for the reply.
Last edited by: NTQ237: Nov 6, 20 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [NTQ237] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NTQ237 wrote:
GatorRacer wrote:

Hello GatorRacer
May I just suggest for 2021, new basebar wings. We are 6 in my squad to own a Shiv Disc and 5 of us are touching the basebar with the knees when standing on the pedals (and I am not talking about a pure sprint, just a common "relaunch" or steep section where you need to go off the saddle).
I don't know if others here have also to complain about it but for us, it is really a shame as this bike (especially when you train in a hilly area) is otherwise close to perfect.
I tried to attach a picture with quick draw of what I am meaning (a design directly more forward after the tilting bolt to offer clearance for the knees).

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for your feedback. I understand that this can be an issue for some people...I know this is not an option for most, but would you fit on the next size up (longer)?

While we dont wish for knee clearance to be a problem, we expect nearly all riding to be while seated for aero purposes.

I am sorry you are dealing with this and I will make sure it is noted to our product team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, GatorRacer. Appreciate a lot.
Actually the Size Finder was suggesting me a S and I went for the Medium (1m80 with 578mm saddle height) with in mind the trouble of my friends with their knee clearance (one measuring 1m75 having to change his S directly).
Indeed, on the L, I might would be better even I would have the mandatory use of the 25mm forward seatpost (I already use) and no more spacer under the armpadplate. But if I have with my 86cm inseam /1m80 height to go on L size, I wonder how can big guys fit on this jewel (I repeat that apart of that, I love it, coming from Marquise Disc, Marquise, P5, TSC,.. all on M or 54).

No definetely the best solution is just building new wings for the base bar to buy as an upgrade ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears, unless I’m mistaken, that the Shiv has just had a price jump in the UK at least. Is this the same everywhere? I think the standard Shiv used to be £10.5K with the remaining stock of the Ltd version £11K, but now the 2021 Shiv is £11.5K.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [DhobiWanKenobi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SL7 models have had a price increase too I noticed this morning ... +800 euros (BE)..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NTQ237 wrote:
GatorRacer wrote:

Hello GatorRacer

Thanks for the reply.

I have to agree with this. I want to buy this bike - I really do. I love something that looks a little different to the norm and has had the hard yards spent on it. However, I test rode one and currently rejected it based purely on the basebar design (and I have owned every tri/tt Specialized made).

1) The bike itself is great but that basebar is too deep rearwards for my liking. I need a bike that is better suited to occasional out of the saddle activity (for what this bike now costs). I know aero is king but this is the only bike I've had this problem with and I don't want compromises like this at this price point.

2) When you look at other bikes (like the new Scott plasma 6 or cervelo's P5d), I have to wonder what aero penalty the Shiv's folding wings have. It's extremely fat and I do wonder if the form was compromised too much as the expense of obtaining the travelling ability. Not all of want or need the folding wings so I'd like to see a one piece aftermarket alternative that is more aero. At this price point, we have to see something close to perfection.
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Nov 14, 20 1:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are mentioning "There is a custom extension based mount that allows a bottle cage between the arms or a computer mount."- Where would you get this mount from?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Tomaz021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tomaz021 wrote:
You are mentioning "There is a custom extension based mount that allows a bottle cage between the arms or a computer mount."- Where would you get this mount from?

Hey Tomaz021,

It’s included with the SWorks version only. You can see if your local dealer can order one
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm searching this seatpost for my Shiv, it has zero offset, I can't find it. Could you link me a webshop where to buy it? TXS

https://www.triathlete.com/gear/bike/kona-pro-bike-lucy-charles-barclays-specialized-shiv/
Last edited by: enricobraglia: Dec 8, 20 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has a zero offset but ... it is weirdly named for this bike : the 25mm forward. It put a mess with many european retailers asking for a 0 offset (like the one of LC on your link) receiving a 25mm rearward one. And eventually the one you are looking is named 25mm forward or something like that. I gonna check tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NTQ237 wrote:
It has a zero offset but ... it is weirdly named for this bike : the 25mm forward. It put a mess with many european retailers asking for a 0 offset (like the one of LC on your link) receiving a 25mm rearward one. And eventually the one you are looking is named 25mm forward or something like that. I gonna check tomorrow.

It's strange, in Specialized website there is only one seatpost and they say 0/25° offset ...

https://www.specialized.com/it/it/reggisella-shiv-disc-carbon/p/174197?color=278162-174197&searchText=28119-3600

Thank you ;)
Last edited by: enricobraglia: Dec 8, 20 14:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NTQ237 wrote:

Hi NTQ237 and enricobraglia

I see your concerns of confusion. The SHIV Disc has 2 offsets available. Spec is 0mm offset, which LOOKS like a traditional -20mm offset or so, because the Seat Post head is hung off the back of the post body.

Aftermarket, the +25mm seat post is available for those who need it for fit, or in some cases where the saddle height is so low, the standard post interferes with the hydration system.

The +25mm post, LOOKS like a traditional 0mm offset post (directly on top of the tube), but it is not. The reason for this, is that the bike's seat tube is moved forward relative to the axis of the BB, to allow additional room for the hydration system.

Unfortunately the picture on that Italian website is incorrect
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ref you are looking for is 28119-3605 ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
NTQ237 wrote:

Hi NTQ237 and enricobraglia

I see your concerns of confusion. The SHIV Disc has 2 offsets available. Spec is 0mm offset, which LOOKS like a traditional -20mm offset or so, because the Seat Post head is hung off the back of the post body.

Aftermarket, the +25mm seat post is available for those who need it for fit, or in some cases where the saddle height is so low, the standard post interferes with the hydration system.

The +25mm post, LOOKS like a traditional 0mm offset post (directly on top of the tube), but it is not. The reason for this, is that the bike's seat tube is moved forward relative to the axis of the BB, to allow additional room for the hydration system.

Unfortunately the picture on that Italian website is incorrect

now it's all clear thank you GatorRacer ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NTQ237 wrote:

thank you very much ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enricobraglia wrote:
NTQ237 wrote:

thank you very much ;)

Piacere ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am interested in a shiv disc and need your help !

Here I went through the forum and it turns out that I have to make a choice between the size XS and S.
Normally you advise to take the size S and after several discussions with owners and despite a postural study which recommends the size S screw compared to the XS, looking at the manual and talking to someone who owns a SHIV in size S, I'm not sure the saddle extension is adequate with my measurements and the rear foil.
I measure 1.68cm with 82cm inseam and my saddle exit is 72cm.

When I check at the specific geometry:
- The seat post length is 350mm in both XS and S size
- The seat tube length is 490mm in XS size and 522mm in S size.

In the manual, it was mentioned that the reservoir may limit the seatpost insertion and the minimum insertion of seat post is 75mm and the maximum is 200mm.

So if I calculate the saddle extension on the two frame sizes, we get to this :
- the maximum saddle extension for the XS is : 490 + 275 (seat post length - minimum insertion) = 765mm
- the minimum saddle extension for the S is : 522 + 150 (seat post length - maximum insertion) = 672mm

But the problem is that these measurements do not take into account the height of my saddle (Prologo T-Gale) from the rails = 50mm.

So if I add my saddle height at the previous dimensions, I get this :
- the maximum saddle extension for the XS is : 765 + 50 = 815mm
- the minimum saddle extension for the S is : 672 + 50 = 722mm (so bigger for my own saddle height)

Which would mean that Specialized (and my postural study) advise me an S frame where I could not put my correct saddle height unless I cut the rear foil ? Are you agree with my calcul ?

So If I am not wrong, I therefore have no choice to take a size XS (or go to S size and change my saddle).
Last edited by: Ted0ne: Dec 16, 20 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Ted0ne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ted0ne wrote:
Hi,

I am interested in a shiv disc and need your help !

Here I went through the forum and it turns out that I have to make a choice between the size XS and S.
Normally you advise to take the size S and after several discussions with owners and despite a postural study which recommends the size S screw compared to the XS, looking at the manual and talking to someone who owns a SHIV in size S, I'm not sure the saddle extension is adequate with my measurements and the rear foil.
I measure 1.68cm with 82cm inseam and my saddle exit is 72cm.

When I check at the specific geometry:
- The seat post length is 350mm in both XS and S size
- The seat tube length is 490mm in XS size and 522mm in S size.

In the manual, it was mentioned that the reservoir may limit the seatpost insertion and the minimum insertion of seat post is 75mm and the maximum is 200mm.

So if I calculate the saddle extension on the two frame sizes, we get to this :
- the maximum saddle extension for the XS is : 490 + 275 (seat post length - minimum insertion) = 765mm
- the minimum saddle extension for the S is : 522 + 150 (seat post length - maximum insertion) = 672mm

But the problem is that these measurements do not take into account the height of my saddle (Prologo T-Gale) from the rails = 50mm.

So if I add my saddle height at the previous dimensions, I get this :
- the maximum saddle extension for the XS is : 765 + 50 = 815mm
- the minimum saddle extension for the S is : 672 + 50 = 722mm (so bigger for my own saddle height)

Which would mean that Specialized (and my postural study) advise me an S frame where I could not put my correct saddle height unless I cut the rear foil ? Are you agree with my calcul ?

So If I am not wrong, I therefore have no choice to take a size XS (or go to S size and change my saddle).

Hey Ted0ne

Nice thorough review!

You are correct that the min saddle height for the SM is 723mm (based on a POWER Saddle). If you use the +25mm offset post (available at your dealer) you gain an additional ~43mm of seat post depth, allowing you to go down to a minimum of 683mm.

You would need to make sure the +25 post is OK with your saddle setback & reach, but if so, then I recommend you go with a SM and cut your Seat Post ~10mm and then you will have no issues.

If you do not want to cut your post, or you do not want to go with a Forward offset Seat Post, then your options are to find a saddle with a rail height that is a bit lower, adjust your crank arm length to sit higher, or go with an XS...Since we are only talking a few MMs here i think its easy to find a way to make SM work

I
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@GatorRacer Many thanks for your answer !

So it will be better to go to the S size even if I will be in the "small settings" of this size rather than the XS which could perhaps favor a more aerodynamic position with my size ?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Ted0ne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ted0ne wrote:
@GatorRacer Many thanks for your answer !

So it will be better to go to the S size even if I will be in the "small settings" of this size rather than the XS which could perhaps favor a more aerodynamic position with my size ?

Well thats a different story...I assumed your fit coordinates you asked for would be the same for both bikes.

Usually saddle height is "fixed". If you can get lower on the XS for some reason then it may be more aero but you havent provided and cockpit fit info and this is unlikely.

The stack on the XS and SM is the same and this is what would impact aerodynamics...the reach is different between the SM and XS, but this doesnt have much effect unless your body cant get to the coordinates you need (i.e. too short could cause you to arch your back and this increase your frontal area)

The decision between XS and SM on the SHIV DIsc is almost always the saddle height since the stack is the same between them and the reach adjustment on this bike is huge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@GatorRacer Thanks you again for your detailed explanation !
I will go for the S size ;)
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.5L is a good amount. (That is, until you run out.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next