Prev Next
Re: aero test Video delisted [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:
marcag wrote:
Pwraddr wrote:
The Notio sensor you mean or?

No. We used a device intented for aero testers last week but there is a device intended for "joe consumer" that he will use. Smaller and easier to use.

No Notios involved. I haven't used one since 2019.

I heard about these versions of an aero testing tool on the time trialling podcast I believe, any estimates when Joe Consumer can buy one? :)

Was that is podcast by any chance?
"#167. Marc Graveline-Current State of Aero Testing Devices"
https://podcasts.apple.com/...4232?i=1000577607308
If so might want to check the name in the title šŸ˜œ

Sure the product being used would be the "Gizmo" that Marc in working on.

@marcag Big thanks for all the great knowledge you give out on various podcasts.
Always a fascinating listen šŸ‘

The device we used on Lionel is the Gizmo.
However there is a smaller, easier to use and much less expensive version intended for people that want to monitor their aero. It is about to go through a pretty intense shakeout with Lionel and some world tour riders and their coaches.
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m just disappointed we didnā€™t get a Brian Stover cameo. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

this is like Star Wars, there is more than one episode you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

this is like Star Wars, there is more than one episode you know.

Now you are speaking my language, may the Force be with you.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Did you guys address his wide knees on the bike and their affect on CdA? I've never actually seen data on it, but it's a floatingy difference between Lionel and other top riders.

No. It's on the list. Problem was the list was getting pretty long.

However we did try the "rolling" side to side. We did a superficial test and saw 3 watts but that really needs to be repeated.
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
It's funny I finally feel like I got to "meet" you with this video.....The best line of the video was the final conversation talking about the theroretically time gains....."This is all scripted".....lol graet banter.

Curious, you seemed to push back on LS's "negative" hands comment suggesting the sweet spot was 0-15* hand position.....Was there ever any thought to go to "negative" and see what the numbers looked like?

I know Lionel want to try going to 0 and maybe negative.

I doubt negative will be good but hey, I don't trust the aero eyeball.

On the other hand, I may stop aero testing completely and become a professional youtuber. My channel saw an infinite increase in popularity going from 0 subscribers to 3. All this with 0 content. Pretty impressive. I am waiting for my royalty cheque. I suspect there is more money in this than aero stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of testing are you based out of Tucson area? Maybe a one off, but if not where do you test? (if you test regular civilians that is).
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Speaking of testing are you based out of Tucson area? Maybe a one off, but if not where do you test? (if you test regular civilians that is).

I am not in Tucson, I am up in the great white North.
But Brian Stover (Desert Dude) is and he tests with the device I use.
Last edited by: marcag: Oct 9, 23 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those two (whose post racing careers did not fall flat...) did not have the immense power of social media and the internet that we see today. I'd argue that LS is more of a household triathlon name than both of those guys, even at their peaks, they probably didn't eclipse the popularity and notoriety of LS.

ā€œThe answer is hard work. What are you doing on Christmas Eve? Are you riding your bike? January 1st ā€“ are you riding your bike?ā€- Lance Armstrong
Last edited by: ChrisBorgerding: Oct 9, 23 7:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celebrity endorsement. I have tested 2X with Marc and Brian. In my last test I went from .23 to .21. YRMV. Coincidently, my bars are tilted 15 degrees.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Oct 9, 23 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another great, fun and informative video from Lionel. I was about to start a indoor training ride, opened Youtube and voila, this video showed up. What a treat!! There is a couple of things LS is missing when he talks about 2016-2017 era performance. He was younger and more masculine than now. He just brute forced through his bike leg back then. It's better late than never, so I'm glad he's finding all these little things. I don't like that ugly POC helmet that Mika has been using, but have no problem with it if LS can ride faster wearing it. POC should contact him and sponsor him like right now. Here's your chance to dominate the aero helmet market. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Another great, fun and informative video from Lionel. I was about to start a indoor training ride, opened Youtube and voila, this video showed up. What a treat!! There is a couple of things LS is missing when he talks about 2016-2017 era performance. He was younger and more masculine than now. He just brute forced through his bike leg back then. It's better late than never, so I'm glad he's finding all these little things. I don't like that ugly POC helmet that Mika has been using, but have no problem with it if LS can ride faster wearing it. POC should contact him and sponsor him like right now. Here's your chance to dominate the aero helmet market. :-)

He commented that even if it was break even, he found it more vented, less noisy and better visibility. But I think he wants to test other helmets. He just happened to have that one there.

I think he realizes, as all pros should, that you pick the fastest helmet and you sell the real estate on it to a non helmet sponsor.
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Celebrity endorsement. I have tested 2X with Marc and Brian. In my last test I went from .23 to .21. YRMV. Coincidently, my bars are tilted 15 degrees.

Where did they do the testing please?
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Bryan (BryanCD) was tested twice. The first time I was present and was showing Brian (Desert dude) how to operate the device. Brian later tested Bryan on his own although I did review results with him. Both times were done in Tucson, but Brian (the tester) does travel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does one get ahold of Brian for a consult? I too would want my CDA below as hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DM on here or on IG!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
How does one get ahold of Brian for a consult? I too would want my CDA below as hell.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ername=desert%20dude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Video was good, follow with Marc even better. Thanks for the further detail. Iā€™ve always been a big believer in this, but pretty sure this will be eye opening for some! Will be interesting to see if Sam and Trevor will do the same.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
There is a couple of things LS is missing when he talks about 2016-2017 era performance. He was younger and more masculine than now.

Did I miss the video where he announced he was transitioning?
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
s13tx wrote:
There is a couple of things LS is missing when he talks about 2016-2017 era performance. He was younger and more masculine than now.

Well, even if he did he'd still likely get run down by Sodaro in Kona...
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How easy or relevant would it be for the average age grouper (like me) to replicate some of this testing but without the fancy equipment? It was eye opening to see how what seemed like a simple change made such a difference (arm position) and whether you could find something similar but in a less scientifically accurate way.

I'm thinking i could head to a 2km stretch near me, take my 2 bikes (TT vs aero road with aero bars), do a set of out and backs with each at a specific power level, check the times, hopefully one is faster than another, do another session with the winning bike and different hand positions, another session (winning bike and winning hand position) with different helmets, another session with race gear on (tri suit. disc cover, wax chain etc)

Has anyone done anything like that and found notable differences or would there likely be 1 or 2 seconds difference per test which without the very specific data behind it would be difficult to justify changes (maybe a car went past me on one of the runs and altered my time slightly)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
s13tx wrote:

He commented that even if it was break even, he found it more vented, less noisy and better visibility. But I think he wants to test other helmets. He just happened to have that one there.

I think he realizes, as all pros should, that you pick the fastest helmet and you sell the real estate on it to a non helmet sponsor.

Definitely agree. For the stuff that is so individual to performance, like TT helmets & maybe even running shoes.
Makes far more sense to test and then use what is best for you. Than just go with a sponsor for a bit of cash.

Remember at the start of the super shoes arms race, when Nike was the only optoin.
Athletes sponsored by other companies would use mark pens to hide the Nike logo

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
s13tx wrote:

You did miss the part where he got ride of the 'tache.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

I'm going to be testing in Australia in early January in NSW and ACT, can go elsewhere in the country. Have 6-7 slots still open if anyone is interested. Right now all the testing is in NSW and ACT. Would love to go back to WA (I heart Perth) but need a number of people to make it worthwhile.

I can test in Tucson anytime. Since the Gizmo is small I can fly anywhere to test. PM or email, both are in my profile

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 10, 23 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: aero test Video delisted [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

I'm going to be testing in Australia in early January in NSW and ACT, can go elsewhere in the country. Have 6-7 slots still open if anyone is interested. Right now all the testing is in NSW and ACT. Would love to go back to WA (I heart Perth) but need a number of people to make it worthwhile.

I can test in Tucson anytime. Since the Gizmo is small I can fly anywhere to test. PM or email, both are in my profile

WOW that sounds GREAT!

I would love to have a custom aero testing by myself but canā€™t pay for the airfare, hotel and the testing etc

Would be great if we could get a group in one place

Anyone up for Central FL or Upstate SC?

Maybe you could have a ā€˜signup sheet for larger cities?

Just an idea. If you are not interested I understand
Quote Reply

Prev Next