Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong, I still love the guy, but this back half of the season hasn't been all that inspiring (compared to many of his big efforts) and unless I missed it, discussion of this weekend's race was almost zero.

I was just trying to get a sense check as I find myself less interested in his updates/results if I don't have hope that they will lead to something more exciting. It's not fair to compare him to a younger version of himself, but the Lionel magic, for me, was always the chance that he was going transcend his "amateur" mistakes and become dominant.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's a downturn in popularity.

It's championship season and he didn't do Nice so the buzz isn't around the events he was in.

He did do 70.3 worlds of course, but with that DQ was very much in the discussion as far as results and being DQ'ed were concerned.

With Nice, the women's race in Kona and the Grand Finale in WTCS racing, I think most people were focusing on those events.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I still love the guy, but this back half of the season hasn't been all that inspiring (compared to many of his big efforts) and unless I missed it, discussion of this weekend's race was almost zero.

I was just trying to get a sense check as I find myself less interested in his updates/results if I don't have hope that they will lead to something more exciting. It's not fair to compare him to a younger version of himself, but the Lionel magic, for me, was always the chance that he was going transcend his "amateur" mistakes and become dominant.

You saying the pivot to burgers, OJ, and Chocolate milk isn't enough to keep you engaged?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he is performing just as well and as consistent as ever. Three years ago, there were about six guys better than him. Now it's more like twenty so he is going to have a harder time avoiding all the guys unless he really only goes against c level fields.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His bike is much worse. Run might be a little better. Swim is a mixed bag.

I wouldn't say his performance is the same as ever overall. He's definitely gone down hill overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 30th place PTO German athlete came and mopped the floor with these guys. I wonder how many more European's will set up camp in the U.S. and take advantage of these soft fields.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [buzzsaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You will not see me on a race course again until I have something better to show you."

Classic Lionel!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read that on Instagram. Sort of feel for him a little now. Even financially - not had a win bonus all year? Got to hurt?

One of my favourites to watch and follow and he sure does bring audiences to the TV (me included)

The fields are just too good now and unless (as Cam Wurf said) you have some xfactor to bring to the game - it’s gonna be almost impossible to win anything for him now on the top tier events - plus age isn’t on his side.

It’s crazy to think how long ago the duel with Frendo was and how big that event was, compared to now.

Regards, Richard
3D Bits and Pieces - https://www.printables.com/@thetrickster_793480
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [buzzsaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzzsaw wrote:
The 30th place PTO German athlete came and mopped the floor with these guys. I wonder how many more European's will set up camp in the U.S. and take advantage of these soft fields.

I think that is underselling a little, Mika has been injured most of the year after a bad bike crash, and before that was 4th at the 70.3 worlds. He's a very good athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
With another mediocre result, and this thread being relatively quiet after another Lionel race, has he lost fan interest?

Perhaps it just mirrors my own changing interests, but it seems to me as the odds of LS making any great improvements dwindles, so has his fan base.

Is it just me, or has there been a notable downturn in his popularity?

if you ever have the chance to see lionel race in-person, you quickly realize there isn't a downturn in popularity for the guy. I was at PTO Milwaukee, the who's who of triathlon was there. Lionel was clearly the favorite (Jan probably equal given his pending retirement).

“The answer is hard work. What are you doing on Christmas Eve? Are you riding your bike? January 1st – are you riding your bike?”- Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like he's been working with wrong guys on the bike. He came out of the water late and he only had Foley to work with so he lost touch with Mika and Laundry big time. I bet he's damn tired after Michigan and don't forget that he has a new born baby so I'm pretty sure it's been affects his training, travelling and performance.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:

I wouldn't say his performance is the same as ever overall. He's definitely gone down hill overall.

I'd put it differently. On the bike, the top guys have stepped things up. Mika was obviously very dialed aero wise. Helmet, bottle in the suit, hands....he had taken care of all the details. Lionel is where these guys were 3 years ago. He used to be able to out muscle them, they are now out smarting him.

It is actually quite simple. On the bike you can't be competitive at this level without applying the level of detail your competition is. Period
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:

Couldn't disagree more.

Probably what he is saying in his YT channel, but I objectively, times are getting faster. He seems to be pushing his usual 330-350 W on 70.3 and he has not done any improvements with his bike position. The other 15-20 guys are simply faster athletes than him.

On the bright side, he ditched the LG bike for Canyon trying to match Jan as he thought it was between him and Jan (it never really was). With over 20 guys biking better than him on like ten different bike brands, he does not need to spend any time chasing holy grail bike equipment but working on getting more speed for his wattage.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel being Lionel......Same shit different day.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know he’s working with Jerry for his swimming but who else is he surrounding himself with? Some of you insiders must know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i made it 30 seconds before i got tired of the "professional youtuber" thing again. i'll try again later because i'm still a fan, but . . . c'mon, lionel.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I share the sentiment and Lionel fatigue in general, but I made it to the end and he said he was "done talking" and not going to sound like a broken record anymore.

I thought I was going to unsubscribe and stuff, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Well, I share the sentiment and Lionel fatigue in general, but I made it to the end and he said he was "done talking" and not going to sound like a broken record anymore.

I thought I was going to unsubscribe and stuff, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt.

so you're saying that this time is different?
this time he's really going to change?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well but by now that's what Lionel is... professional youtuber.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
kajet wrote:

so you're saying that this time is different?
this time he's really going to change?

Not *change* maybe, but there's a distinct possibility he'll stop saying "I know what my problem is, it's this and it's completely different from what I said a month ago:". Which is a huge part of the broken record factor.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
I know he’s working with Jerry for his swimming but who else is he surrounding himself with? Some of you insiders must know.

I get two things from the video.

1. The narrative about his future is slowly changing. He has mentioned coaching before and he mentions again here. He talks about wanting to work with Athletes who believe they can win and he wants to be around that energy for the rest of his life. Trevor Foley must be a big part of that.

2. He wants to improve things before he races again. I think this is a mistake - you improve by training AND racing - but whatever - that is the narrative that we have heard before. The bit where he says his mum sent him the boulder video from 2018 and its literally the same video is pretty telling.

I think we see him progressing to pull his own squad together over the next few seasons and he moves away from racing. I really hope so - he has some attributes that would make him a great squad coach.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
I think we see him progressing to pull his own squad together over the next few seasons and he moves away from racing. I really hope so - he has some attributes that would make him a great squad coach.

That may be, but Lionel seems like the last guy you'd want planning your training. I could see his strengths being complicated by someone with more coaching knowledge, maybe being more behind the scenes planning vs Lionel's direct engagement with athletes, but I don't see Lionel doing that. Lionel's a great dude but I can't imagine hiring him as a coach.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LS would be great for developing athletes to learn from his experience. But the actual day to day "grind" coaching, I don't know that he has the patience for that. He could be likely really good at athlete manager much more than an day to day coach, imo. He most certainly will create the LS "squad" and make a ton of money from AG athletes willing to pay $200 a month to be "coached" by LS (even if he's not the one doing the actual coaching). Dozens of high profile athletes turn coaches do that, and most actually do very little actual "coaching". Most are more of the figurehead of the organization and hire other coaches to do the weekly coaching planning. They then only coach the hand picked athletes they want to or who pay the premium money to get coached by.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 2, 23 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the end of the day to finish in the top 3 or even 10 is great and we would all love to do that, He should stop being a sore loser and expect things have moved forward and move forward too and enjoy racing and get the best place he can

If have had not flipped his training and ideas every year he would have been in a much better place

Do you think he would be a good coach?
it would be possible that he would change the training method all the time too

he is still a cool guy and a great triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [jonnyboy1000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyboy1000 wrote:
and enjoy racing /quote]

I think for the most driven athletes to enjoy racing they have to win. Its the mind set needed to get to the top in the first place, and once you stop winning it stops being fun.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply

Prev Next