Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [jonnyboy1000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyboy1000 wrote:
At the end of the day to finish in the top 3 or even 10 is great and we would all love to do that, He should stop being a sore loser and expect things have moved forward and move forward too and enjoy racing and get the best place he can

If have had not flipped his training and ideas every year he would have been in a much better place

Do you think he would be a good coach?
it would be possible that he would change the training method all the time too

he is still a cool guy and a great triathlete

I actually question if his flip-flopping on training really makes a measurable difference in his outcomes. Sure, he trains with different modes all the time, but they're all basically the same. Huge volume, fair about of intensity, balanced workload between SBR. Changing from a IM paced long tempo to shorter LT2 thresholds isn't a huge swing. He's keeping 95% of the training the same.

Except his bizarre period of swim training with no regard for technique. That seemed ill advised.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Lionel being Lionel......Same shit different day.

Great video as usual. I like the fact that he shares what was going through his mind during the race. He's just like us someone busting his ass to get better. As a big fan, I will seat back, watch and cheer him.
Do you guys remember that video? He was on the bike trainer and crying and screaming? I think he was on LG bike back then. Anyway, his bike performance was the best around that time. If he doesn't have that mind set, he can NOT be the best biker anymore. He was raw, hungry and crazy back then. He's getting old and mature, so he's bit different now.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may have been asked and answered earlier, but why was he on his old Speedmax? I don’t understand this flip-flopping of equipment from race to race.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Augusta course is hilly with 1900 ft of elevation so maybe it’s easier for him to climb with that bike? It’s just my guess.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love Lionel's energy and willingness to share. But who in the hell would allow him to be their coach? What has made LS fun is the fact that he has some good results while being a basket case with his own training.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
applenutt wrote:
Love Lionel's energy and willingness to share. But who in the hell would allow him to be their coach? What has made LS fun is the fact that he has some good results while being a basket case with his own training.

I'd guess the instant Lionel says he's ready to start taking applications for people to coach @ $200-500/month he'd have 50-100 of them.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is sitting on a gold mine, but as I said, he'll hand pick the few he wants to coach (the $500 + AG athletes), and the rest will be coached by satelitte coaches while maybe getting an email or text a week from LS giving them a thumbs up to the training. But yeah he's going to do very very well for himself.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
applenutt wrote:

I’ve learned good swimmers who’s been swimming since they were young can’t teach shit because the don’t know the struggle. People who started swimming late and improved know exactly what needs to be done so I can definitely sign up for his swim camp. He’s just slower than other world class pros. He’s still a damn good swimmer to me.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
applenutt wrote:

I'd guess the instant Lionel says he's ready to start taking applications for people to coach @ $200-500/month he'd have 50-100 of them.

Lionel could charge $1,000+ a month and people would still line up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So once the fanboy feeling wears off...but agree that many will want LS to coach them simply bc they want to be in contact with LS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
applenutt wrote:

I’ve learned good swimmers who’s been swimming since they were young can’t teach shit because the don’t know the struggle. People who started swimming late and improved know exactly what needs to be done so I can definitely sign up for his swim camp. He’s just slower than other world class pros. He’s still a damn good swimmer to me.

This is simply not true. Some lifelong swimmers are great at coaching and some aren't. Same way some great athletes are great coaches and some aren't.

I think LS would make tons of money coaching because he has a huge fan base that blindly listen and follow him everywhere and these folks would gladly give their money simply to brag that "Lione is coaching me". This will work for a few years, but I just don't see him being successful long term. He would need some humbleness and patience to learn how to successfully coach likely working under an experienced coach. But given how he has handled all his coach-athlete relationships as an athlete, I am not sure being on the other side will be any different.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
s13tx wrote:
applenutt wrote:

This is simply not true. Some lifelong swimmers are great at coaching and some aren't. Same way some great athletes are great coaches and some aren't.

I think LS would make tons of money coaching because he has a huge fan base that blindly listen and follow him everywhere and these folks would gladly give their money simply to brag that "Lione is coaching me". This will work for a few years, but I just don't see him being successful long term. He would need some humbleness and patience to learn how to successfully coach likely working under an experienced coach. But given how he has handled all his coach-athlete relationships as an athlete, I am not sure being on the other side will be any different.

As others said, he doesn't really need to coach. Gets some junior coaches to do the actual work and he just does some relationship work with the athletes and keeps YT going. A few zoom calls, some emails/texts and they get the LS experience. And don't forget doing some training camps. People will pay premium to train in a camp with him.
As for making tons of money, that all depends on your definition of "tons"
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
s13tx wrote:
applenutt wrote:

Thousands are pissing their money away on Triathlon Taren's platform so why couldn't he be successful long term, unlike Taren he's no charlatan.

But having seen him withdraw from Social media and the discord that he started that is incredibly active. I don't really see him in a front facing job, he's a lot more quiet and reserved than he makes himself out to be from his snapshots.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
something about that post you responded to seems a bit personal and seems as though it would not be made about life run or bikers.

some life long swimmers are great at setting good conditioning sets and wouldn't tell you a single thing about your technique. some life long swimmers are great at teaching technique and stroke but the conditioning sets are too soft.

but on the other foot some people are just not very coachable and haven't found a connection with a coach they like
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
[..]1. The narrative about his future is slowly changing. He has mentioned coaching before and he mentions again here. He talks about wanting to work with Athletes who believe they can win and he wants to be around that energy for the rest of his life. Trevor Foley must be a big part of that. [..].

This is never going to happen. There is nothing about LS that is attractive for upcoming pros as it relates to performance. LS will make a killing in the AG ranks through his brand and with the help of assistant coaches, but he will never coach a top tier pro, there are just too many people much better at this than he could ever be.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LS has 1 huge asset for young pro's. He understands and capitalized on that it's more than just performance. For many developing pro's that can be a huge lesson in how to make it in the sport. I wouldn't necessarily think LS is going to be a good coach in the aspect of day to day grinding, but again the mentor/managarial role he imo would crush it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly this. Totally agree. How to build a brand, be sustainable.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
earthling wrote:
[..]1. The narrative about his future is slowly changing. He has mentioned coaching before and he mentions again here. He talks about wanting to work with Athletes who believe they can win and he wants to be around that energy for the rest of his life. Trevor Foley must be a big part of that. [..].

This is never going to happen. There is nothing about LS that is attractive for upcoming pros as it relates to performance. LS will make a killing in the AG ranks through his brand and with the help of assistant coaches, but he will never coach a top tier pro, there are just too many people much better at this than he could ever be.

Well there's one thing he brings to upcoming pros that is arguably more important than performance. A suboptimal coach with millions of followers and the potential to lift you to (triathlon) stardom. I'd take that trade. See Ari Klau and Trevor Foley for two athletes whose media presence skyrocketed after just training with the guy.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure, he can help people become successful doing what they love, and help grow the sport. But he's never going to be the one coaching up the next great athlete so they can deliver their best results. If you're going to be the best, stardom will follow. If you're going to be top 10-25, you need to differentiate. I guess that's a coaching role, but I'd be inclined to use mentorship instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
For sure, he can help people become successful doing what they love, and help grow the sport. But he's never going to be the one coaching up the next great athlete so they can deliver their best results. If you're going to be the best, stardom will follow. If you're going to be top 10-25, you need to differentiate. I guess that's a coaching role, but I'd be inclined to use mentorship instead.

I'm increasingly less sold on meaningful differences between coaches/training philosophies. 95% of it is exactly the same. Huge volume, roughly the same SBR ratio, intensity around 80/20, higher for swimming, lower for running, and training with people who push you. At the amateur level it makes sense to have someone ingrain these philosophies, but at the elite level everyone already knows this stuff, and more importantly knows their bodies and when to push or back off.

Look at the Norwegian approach. A revolutionary training protocol, and the big difference is you train slightly less intense for slightly longer.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is why the LS "squad" could work where you bring together a group of athletes who may stay self coached / coached by LS / coached by others and just simply train together. Sure some days they are doing the same set, and other times they are just out there together. That's a growing trend of just living and training together for athletes and racing as a "brand"; regardless if your coached by the same coach or not.

I'm pretty sure that's what is happening at "The Real Squad" now. Still the biggest issue with "squad" training is turning it into racing in training; that's when stupid comes into play more often than not.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 3, 23 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on that idea. I'd be open to the argument that who you train with is more important than who coaches you. Compiling that into a social media brand is a smart move for all involved. Just please keep Talbot to make the videos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. & I think Lionel would make a good coach. I know he goes back & forth in his videos about training philosophies but that's just a small part of what we see. Minus this year, he's been ranked in the top-10 in the world the last 8 years. Countless 70.3 wins. 2nd twice at 140.6 World Champs. He's done well at plenty of other 140.6 races. You can't do those things & not know what you're doing. Lionel would do well coaching/mentoring guys like him who are close to the very top of the sport & are willing to give everything to get better.

I hope he's just being too hard on himself/leaning into his persona with the last video. I get that he doesn't want a 3rd place at 70.3 Augusta but Noodt & Laundry are both legit. No reason not to hop into some late season races. He's still plenty competitive. I wonder if it's just some of the frustration coming out about 70.3 Worlds. Would've been nice to see a real result for him there + he's probably thinking he could have done some damage in Nice. Kona has always been tough for him but I feel like he's been good in dry heat.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Totally agree. & I think Lionel would make a good coach. I know he goes back & forth in his videos about training philosophies but that's just a small part of what we see. Minus this year, he's been ranked in the top-10 in the world the last 8 years. Countless 70.3 wins. 2nd twice at 140.6 World Champs. He's done well at plenty of other 140.6 races. You can't do those things & not know what you're doing. Lionel would do well coaching/mentoring guys like him who are close to the very top of the sport & are willing to give everything to get better.

I hope he's just being too hard on himself/leaning into his persona with the last video. I get that he doesn't want a 3rd place at 70.3 Augusta but Noodt & Laundry are both legit. No reason not to hop into some late season races. He's still plenty competitive. I wonder if it's just some of the frustration coming out about 70.3 Worlds. Would've been nice to see a real result for him there + he's probably thinking he could have done some damage in Nice. Kona has always been tough for him but I feel like he's been good in dry heat.

I think it's quite simple. Lionel is running well. He is pushing good watts. His swim is, well..... we know what it is.

I think he realizes had he stayed with Gerry he would be way ahead. I think he realizes he wasted a lot of time. But at the end of the day HE pays for it, nobody else

He sees he's losing time because he is not aero. The guys talk to each other. He knows what Mika and Jackson were pushing as well as every other pro he has raced recently.

He refuses to call himself an athlete which I personally believe is ridiculous, so he puts himself down by saying he is a pro youtuber.

He can fix the aero. I think that's the easier part.

The swim, well, that is a whole other story. But if anyone can help him it's Gerry Rodriguez.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Well there's one thing he brings to upcoming pros that is arguably more important than performance. A suboptimal coach with millions of followers and the potential to lift you to (triathlon) stardom. I'd take that trade. See Ari Klau and Trevor Foley for two athletes whose media presence skyrocketed after just training with the guy.

I was thinking the same thing, but how does this work as a business model? Does he charge the up and coming pros for being part of his squad (they're broke)? Or does he use this fresh blood to broadcast a sort of a reality show and monetize his social media presence to a larger degree - probably by offering products like webinars, books ("100 Training Prescriptions in 100 weeks"), etc.?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Oct 3, 23 12:15
Quote Reply

Prev Next