Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pics of your tri bike [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pwai wrote:
I love it !! Awesome job. I bet it’s as fast as it can get.
Can I ask what is the cockpit, and these extensions? And that center-pull front brake looks very nice, is it a TRP?
The front brake is actually a Campagnolo branded rear center pull, but probably made by TRP. The extensions are old Profile Design "Sonic Stryke" carbon bars, the base bar is Chinese (Alliexpress), and the stem was from ebay - and required a little drilling, a little filling, and a lot of cursing to get the hidden rear brake cable through.

I know the Thread is "Pics of your Tri Bike", but this is really setup for TT's. Front chainring is 56T, rear cassette is 12-23. I'm 76 years old and primarily contest the 5K and 10K TT's in the Local/State/National Senior Games.
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What cadence you spinning that 56t at 76 years old?

That’s a lotta chainring. To center the chainline at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

You're correct - it's to center the chainline - plus I'm ready for that 20mph tailwind! :)
Don't forget, my smallest rear cog is 12T, not the more common 11t which, IMHO, is not efficient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New bike this year, I really like having disc brakes big difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

You're correct - it's to center the chainline - plus I'm ready for that 20mph tailwind! :)
Don't forget, my smallest rear cog is 12T, not the more common 11t which, IMHO, is not efficient.

Plus it is intimidating. Haha.

Our bi monthly club TT is a bit hilly, so I can hit 40mph downhill and keep putting a little something in the pedals. I often catch the 2min rider just as the downhill ends and uphill starts again. They are usually coasting at like 30 mph or something and I fly by and half up the next hill on momentum past them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

Our bi monthly club TT is a bit hilly, so I can hit 40mph downhill and keep putting a little something in the pedals. I often catch the 2min rider just as the downhill ends and uphill starts again. They are usually coasting at like 30 mph or something and I fly by and half up the next hill on momentum past them.

Yup, intimidating!

I'm in Florida - pancake flat - so in the 10K I'll usually catch my 30 sec and 1 min person, who are in lower age groups (I'm usually the first rider out in the 75-79 year old group). It's not that I'm superman, it's just that I've been riding/racing since 1971, and have a lot of miles on my legs. I just do TT's now, the old bones don't like crashes any more.

Honestly, I find the speed addicting. I really wish the sport wasn't so expensive (to be really competitive), so it would attract more people. My bike was cobbled together on a budget - I realize a lot of people can't do that. $10K+ for a bicycle, for someone like me that has 4 children and 5 grand children, is IMHO borderline madness. :)
Last edited by: Hanginon: Nov 11, 22 5:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your longevity!

I am in FL as well

Where do you do timetrials?

The airport near Orlando?

Do you know of any longer TTs 25 mile +?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Hanginon wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

I remember doing a race ~30 years ago, and Paula Newby Fraser showed up with her 24" wheel Felt. People were freaking out over the huge chainring she had on that, wondering how she could push a gear that big, not realizing her gearing was about the same as everyone else's...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have another one?
Scott Plasma 4

See your bike fit. https://bikefitr.appspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Congrats on your longevity!

I am in FL as well

Where do you do timetrials?

The airport near Orlando?

Do you know of any longer TTs 25 mile +?

I know of only two TT series in Florida -

https://stevenperezluha.com/2022-florida-polytechnic-time-trial-series/
and
https://floridaseniorgames.com/cycling/
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri bike not tri bike. My winter project now that we have an interior velodrome a little ways away from here.
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful setup

Narrow cranks?

What else you have on there?

Will you fill in the area where the water bottle goes?
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was a cheap build.

No narrow cranks. I did not want to go all in just yet as this might still end up as a tri build for sale down the road. So I have a trimax megaexo on there at 145mm q. The 52t sprocket is on the inside. I had to machine the inward side holes 1mm down to sink the bolts a bit, and grind down the bolts taper by 0.5mm as well. With everything tightened down and a single bb wave washer on the drive side the bolts are clearing the chainstay by 1mm, but I have an arrow straight chainline.

The wheels are my tri race wheels, clinchers with VF Record rubbers. I chose my disc with a flip flop hub in case I ever did something like this and I also purchased the fixed gear conversion axle at the time.

The bars are a bit of a 3T Aura Pro copy. I'm a big fan of budget carbon, from the right sources. The end plugs are actually from a Fourrier extensions bridge which I like to use as a pinkie hook for a very relaxed grip.

I'm on a 1/8 cog and chain right now, but I will be switching to 3/32 as it is more efficient and just as durable for most chains.

I'm not going to fill in the bottle area as I want to be able to return the frame to its original state and remain UCI compliant.
Last edited by: Runorama: Dec 21, 22 18:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool

Thank you for the detailed reply

Best of luck with your new pursuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice bike! What from wheel are you using? It looks like a wheel from Revolver (UK) but I heard there are open mold ones available directly from China. Any recommendations for that?
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [XanderTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the open mold version. Very happy with it
Quote Reply
Post deleted by jsteck22 [ In reply to ]
Re: Pics of your tri bike [jsteck22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Attached
Last edited by: IamSpartacus: Dec 22, 22 5:04
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gorgeous. Actually really stunning. I'm sure you are loving it!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep loving her. Minor complaints the paint seems thin and easy to scratch, water bottle not too secure and it’s actually a bit higher by a few mm on the front end than previous speed concept so fit is finicky if you want it to be. But all in all rides much smoother than gen 2, and is more comfy. A lot lighter too
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my Ron Aeron X on a BF deal early December and my tri spoke (same one as @realbdeal) arrived last week. Love how it looks!

No chain and cassette on there, quickly pulled the bike off of the trainer to fit both wheels for the picture.
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BOSS! Love that derailleur cable like you love your fitness please 🙏
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [Yutaka Sonik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yutaka Sonik wrote:
BOSS! Love that derailleur cable like you love your fitness please 🙏

Haha sorry about that, the derailleur was pulled back still to get the rear wheel in.
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, sweet bike though and congrats on the Ron wheel! I’ve been on the fence for a disc of the Ron-premier-lightbike-caden-Cadex variation for like 18 months now.

PS - your elite bottle is in the vertical position? Is that for ergonomic reasons?
Quote Reply
Re: Pics of your tri bike [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently updated the front end: stiffer stem, cut the steerer and removed spacers, added pedestals to the extensions, and installed TriRig Scoops. A little bit faster, and a lot more comfy...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply

Prev Next