Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few thoughts while I have a moment between clients...

It's a fine bike, but I don't believe it to be a home run right out of the box. I do, however, believe it can get better with time. Proprietary extensions with one option for shape is a sin, and a clear disconnect between the designers of this bike and end user, as is the lack of more and easier tilt adjustment. This should have been a lesson learned from the previous SC. To their credit, this mistake was recognized very quickly, and a fix is likely on the way sooner rather than later. There's actually a picture of a bike with the fix already installed (for extensions, I mean) on this very thread.

As an end user, I think this bike works better with Di2 rather than E-Tap solely because you can unplug the shifters at the end of the extension. Much easier to take apart that way and adjust. Sram should fix this oversight. Allow the user to unplug at the bar end shifter.

This bike is primed for custom extensions, and I would expect to see many Trek sponsored athletes on custom very soon. ;-)

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
As an end user, I think this bike works better with Di2 rather than E-Tap solely because you can unplug the shifters at the end of the extension. Much easier to take apart that way and adjust. Sram should fix this oversight. Allow the user to unplug at the bar end shifter.

Appreciate your insight Jim.

Don't you think the shifter issue (quoted above) is an issue on ALL Tri/TT bikes? It doesn't seem necessarily specific to this new bike.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure why there are no axis labels on that graph. Here is one that is better detailed for all to view.

This compares 2014 SC with an Elite downtube bottle, a BTA bottle, and a behind the saddle bottle vs a 2022 SC with the aero downtube bottle, a BTA bottle, and a behind the saddle bottle. Both bikes tested with 60mm deep rims with the same physical tube/tire.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Nov 18, 21 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [velogator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velogator wrote:
Hey Mitch

Interested in the frame, it does not look like the frame only option comes with the aerobars? Is that correct? I am hoping that it does and I am just missing it?

Thanks

Frameset will be sans-cockpit.

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Not sure why there are not axis labels on that graph. Here is one that is better detailed for all to view.

This compares 2014 SC with an Elite downtube bottle, a BTA bottle, and a behind the saddle bottle vs a 2022 SC with the aero downtube bottle, a BTA bottle, and a behind the saddle bottle. Both bikes tested with 60mm deep rims with the same physical tube/tire.

Thanks...better tell the website guys ;-)

I'm assuming that's with "Manny" on board as well? (just based on the relatively high CdA values)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Not sure why there are not axis labels on that graph. Here is one that is better detailed for all to view.

I'm assuming that's with "Manny" on board as well? (just based on the relatively high CdA values)

Already on it!

And you betcha, Manny was on the bike and pedaling it - lucky fella got to be one of the first "people" to ride it. Speaking of Manny... we had the wheels spinning at road speed and tested these on the same day with back-to-back runs. Manny’s position is monitored with three fixed cameras placed around the wind tunnel using an image overlay so we can make sure he doesn’t move when we swap bikes. Also, fun fact, the test was done at the National Institute for Aviation Research at Wichita State University (thanks WSU!).

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Nov 18, 21 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:

Already on it!

And you betcha, Manny was on the bike and pedaling it - lucky fella got to be one of the first "people" to ride it. Speaking of Manny... we had the wheels spinning at road speed and tested these on the same day with back-to-back runs. Manny’s position is monitored with three fixed cameras placed around the wind tunnel using an image overlay so we can make sure he doesn’t move when we swap bikes. Also, fun fact, the test was done at the National Institute for Aviation Research at Wichita State University (thanks WSU!).

Thanks for the details.

Manny doesn't seem to be particularly aero IMHO at low yaw (better helmet, maybe?)...although, he does appear to "sail" decently well...not as well as "Foam Dave" though ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:

Already on it!

Thanks for the extra details and graph Mitch. Appreciated.

Are you able to let us know if there is a SLR and SL version available and whether the UCI legal version that the worldtour pro's are using will be available ?
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Nov 18, 21 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

It's a fine bike, but I don't believe it to be a home run right out of the box. I do, however, believe it can get better with time. Proprietary extensions with one option for shape is a sin, and a clear disconnect between the designers of this bike and end user, as is the lack of more and easier tilt adjustment. This should have been a lesson learned from the previous SC. To their credit, this mistake was recognized very quickly, and a fix is likely on the way sooner rather than later. There's actually a picture of a bike with the fix already installed (for extensions, I mean) on this very thread.

This bike is primed for custom extensions, and I would expect to see many Trek sponsored athletes on custom very soon. ;-)

in my discussions with the engineers i was pretty sure i saw something about a range of pad lengths. but i went back and looked for it, and looked at all the photos taken by trek of this bike, and couldn't find them. so maybe i dreamed it.

the front end is pretty solid. ben deal pointed out the M4 bolts that affix the pad and, yeah, that was a minor miss. shoulda been M5. but if you look at this pic - i took the finish piece off to expose the bolts underneath to show you the two ways you execute length adjustment - the pad sits partly on the extension. the pad is supported by the extension, not just those transverse tabs with holes in them, and you could certainly, easily, make a longer forearm for the armrest if you made it so that the medial side of that armrest cradle rested on the distal (near) side of the extension.

the motif of this bar, it's a very fancy, very nice version of how the profile subsonic adjusts. that main support structure - excluding the extensions - is very solid, and could support a nice aftermarket armrest. it wouldn't be like the speedbar. it could be a solid mass that spans the whole area.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there going to be a white paper? Also do you have more info on what wheels were used for the aero comparison and pictures of how the bikes were setup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:

Already on it!

Are you able to let us know if there is a SLR and SL version available and whether the UCI legal version that the worldtour pro's are using will be available ?

There will just be an SLR model, but there will be another TT model that is pretty stripped down in the future. This leads into the UCI legal components; you would only need to change the base bar in the 2022 Speed Concept to adhere to UCI regulations. That same base bar will come on the TT model trim we'll see down the road.

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
Is there going to be a white paper? Also do you have more info on what wheels were used for the aero comparison and pictures of how the bikes were setup?

No white paper for this model.

Wheels used in testing were XXX 6s with 25c R3 tires for the 2014 Speed Concept and RSL 62s with 25c R3 tires for the 2022 Speed Concept.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.b it’s really disappointing that there’s no white paper. If I recall correctly there’s been one on every gf bike since the TTx. I’ll wait for Erosports to do their comparison.
Last edited by: Cajer: Nov 18, 21 11:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just had my dealer run through a bunch of scenarios building the bike. Lead times ranged from 11 days to 180+ depending on the options selected.

Hoping the 11 days is true.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, if they want to make longer pads, they have to conform to the shape of the hydration as it gets in the way a bit once the front end of the pad moves too far forward. Not tough for them to do, I'm sure.

I think Speedbar, Speeco, and others are licking their chops to make custom extensions for this bike (including pedestals), and I do believe there's going to be a growing market for custom front ends moving forward. I don't think that's something a brand like Trek wants to delve into unless it's a sponsored rider. I'm being a little disingenuous and self-serving in this area, though, but I'll talk to you about that offline.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My order with one of the stock paint jobs (found one I quite liked) D/A 12, and the 75 wheels was listed as 11 days. We will see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A custom front end seems like the ticket, as you can’t mantis very much with the stock front end. Especially as I showed great gains going mantis when testing with you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:

Already on it!

There will just be an SLR model, but there will be another TT model that is pretty stripped down in the future. This leads into the UCI legal components; you would only need to change the base bar in the 2022 Speed Concept to adhere to UCI regulations. That same base bar will come on the TT model trim we'll see down the road.

So the TT version will still retain the Isospeed mechanism ?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Appreciate your insight Jim.

Don't you think the shifter issue (quoted above) is an issue on ALL Tri/TT bikes? It doesn't seem necessarily specific to this new bike.

I do, but trust me you want to adjust pedestal height on this bike by removing the wire from the shifter, not inside the basebar. This, obviously, is a very fitter-centric view on my part.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah both etap clicks and DA 165mm cranks cause lead times to shoot up real high.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:

Already on it!

So the TT version will still retain the Isospeed mechanism ?

It would actually not have IsoSpeed - we'll be stripping it down like a hill climbing race car.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea when more info on the TT model will be available? Will it sell as a complete bike or frameset only and will it have any of the other integration (bento, flat kit, etc.)? Thanks for all the info today!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

What is the max tilt as how it comes now? Couldn’t see that or I overlooked. Also a miss are the crank lengths on the ‘standard’ to buy models. 170 to 175 are so ‘00’s ;-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [mccormas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mccormas wrote:
Any idea when more info on the TT model will be available? Will it sell as a complete bike or frameset only and will it have any of the other integration (bento, flat kit, etc.)? Thanks for all the info today!

Still TBD on all those details, but we'll keep you in the know once we have more public facing information in 2022!

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15 degrees as shown in the service manual. You have 0, 7, and 15 degree options.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next