Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate putting some further numbers to it. Any reason your model shows such a significant difference compared to Trek's numbers?

I'd also be curious what the difference would be if you incorporated some of the changes to the old SC. For instance, add a giant aero water bottle instead of the small Elite bottle, throw on some Vision TFE or Drag2Zero ergo extensions, and swap to aero optimized wheels that work best with the old fork and frame.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Well...not everything...they "unhid" the braking systems ;-)

I was leaving it unsaid that they had to hide everything else to make up for un-hiding the calipers.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Lets talk about the price of the new SC and how its priced out of most peoples range except for most dentist.. Triathlon needs to have competitive affordable try bikes to attract new people.

That is worth discussion. I just checked the U.S. "big 3" of Specialized, Trek, and Cannondale, and they've all completely abandoned all but the top end for tri/TT bikes. The updated Specialized Shiv is now years old and they've yet to trickle it down to below $9K. The disc SuperSlice still isn't for sale at all, which may be a whole other story.

Hopefully Trek is just profit-taking on an initial release and comes out with some affordable builds next year or something.

At least Cervelo and Canyon are still interested in the <$4K triathlete/TTer, both with really sharp looking 105 builds.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 18, 21 16:29
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [mccormas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mccormas wrote:
I appreciate putting some further numbers to it. Any reason your model shows such a significant difference compared to Trek's numbers?

I'm only using the aero data - they are adding in the effect of tyre CRR. Plus my model isn't using a simplistic weighted average yaw (I don't know that they are, just that it's common)

Quote:
I'd also be curious what the difference would be if you incorporated some of the changes to the old SC. For instance, add a giant aero water bottle instead of the small Elite bottle, throw on some Vision TFE or Drag2Zero ergo extensions, and swap to aero optimized wheels that work best with the old fork and frame.

Some of your options will make the SC2 worse. D2Z could go either way.
We could only know that, for an individual, with testing on that individual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
mccormas wrote:

I'm only using the aero data - they are adding in the effect of tyre CRR. Plus my model isn't using a simplistic weighted average yaw (I don't know that they are, just that it's common)

Quote:

That makes sense on the difference in savings. I guess that also shows you can achieve a majority of the savings by wheel and tire choice. Regarding the D2Z extensions being an unknown without testing and vary on a rider-by-rider basis, could you assume the same about their claims with their new extension shape and design. I thought I remembered them saying the shape provided the same benefit that other similar type extensions do by providing an extended aero profile in front of the forearm.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [mccormas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad I had my "Life Alert" on me when I saw $8800 for bike with a Rival group set.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Nov 18, 21 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:

Well...not everything...they "unhid" the braking systems ;-)

I was leaving it unsaid that they had to hide everything else to make up for un-hiding the calipers.

...and the braking surfaces!

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if you build a bike by yourself (which I did with my 2019 SC) you can save a lot of money.
Sc 2022 Frame 4500
DA di2 Groupset 2500
Wheels 1500
Saddle 200
Cockpit 500 ?

So my build is around $9000.. cheaper thsn $14500 MSRP.
Well the new bike didn’t really impress me, so I will keep my current speed concept few more yesrs until I see something on a market which Will really interest me.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
So if you build a bike by yourself (which I did with my 2019 SC) you can save a lot of money.
Sc 2022 Frame 4500
DA di2 Groupset 2500
Wheels 1500
Saddle 200
Cockpit 500 ?

Well the new bike didn’t really impress me, so I will keep my current speed concept few more yesrs until I see something on a market which Will really interest me.

I like the look of the new SC, but I can't afford the spike (anticipated) in price. I really like the look of the Gen 2 SC and it's still a top level bike. I think we all need to remember that we still have to pedal these bikes. I can't imagine the 10k price will increase our speeds nearly what we want it to.

I'm with you, I'll wait another 2 to 3 years and consider getting it when the prices drop. Otherwise, I'll look for a used one. I still personally don't get the "need" for disc brakes on a TT bike.

Honestly, I would love to have the money for TREK to build me a custom Gen 2 version with the 800 level carbon.

I'm curious about the isospeed, but wonder if that will have complications as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any info on weight of the bike?!
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Any info on weight of the bike?!

What ya wanna know? Weight data is all on http://www.trekbikes.com/speed-concept currently, but if you don't see something, let me know!

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Sc 2022 Frame 4500
DA di2 Groupset 2500
Wheels 1500
Saddle 200
Cockpit 500 ?

The frame is $5k. And that doesn’t include the front end which is probably another $700-1200.

You aren’t exactly comparing apples to apples here. Thar sc price tag ($13500) comes with da 9200/red axs and Aeolus RSL wheels. You aren’t getting DA 9200 or red axs for $2500. 9100… I can see. Same goes for the wheels.

That’s not to say building up a frame isn’t a good idea. If you are willing and want to take the time source used or older model components, I think it makes sense and a great way to save some money.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
mccormas wrote:

Quote:

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m still not feeling ready to pay more for a TT bike than for a Ducati.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously. The mind boggles how a Ducati can be cheaper, yet here we are.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [The Red Baron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at the Cyclologic event last night.

First off the bikes are beautiful in person. Trek still has the best in paint design. They are obviously well thought out.

The RSL75 was amazing. Optimized for 26-28mm. I couldn’t believe how wide it felt.

People were talking about IsoSpeed. The comments from the pros were that us was instantly noticeable from riding gen2. That it was really amazing. They did have 2 local guys ride the bike to get some real world testing. I was talking to one of them before the event and he said the day he test rode it, he sold his other TT bike. He took it out on the Beeline and could hardly feel the normal bumps. 2nd guy said the same thing. He rode it, called a guy who wanted to buy his TT already, and sold it.

They had a Di2 ultegra 12sp build on display. Wow that is a nice group set. The FD is almost gone it’s so small. They hydro brake levers are as well.

The one thing I did ask is about swapping rotor size. 160 is standard but you can go 140.

Last thing…. Ben and TO are both jealous of Holly’s Crome blue bike. Lol

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The BTA bottle is convenient, but those armrests are just SO damn wide..!!!
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THeir feedback on IosSpeed is my exact same impressions when I got my Madone. Simply amazing, and I'm not one to throw that word around lightly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When T.O. makes it to Kona he will get what he wants ;)

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch,

My closest shop is working on my order for me, but I haven’t been asked about pursuit bar or pedestal configurations. Is that something I should call and clarify?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was also at the event last night, and want to echo the paint comments. "First Light," the paint job from the Olympics, looks AMAZING in person. the deepness of the red at the bottom is intense, and the amount of clear coat is crazy. Really stunning!

The biggest downsides I noticed, aside from the price:
  1. The flat storage is tiny, which Dan mentioned in his article. I'm not on tubeless yet, but I'd be a little wary of using this bike for long course with regular clinchers, because you're not going to have room for a second tube or second CO2. You'd probably want a saddlebag for training just for the peace of mind of the extra spares. Perhaps I am just overly risk averse?
  2. The aero frame bottle is fairly small. It's probably perfect if you use as designed, and carry concentrated liquid (nutrition or electrolytes) and add plain water with it to the BTA bottle. But if you don't use a concentrated bottle, then it doesn't seem big enough to be useful from a hydration standpoint.

Aside from those things, and the price (no getting around that!), it looks like a fantastic bike. The top tube storage looks great. It would have been awesome if they had loaded a few of the bikes up with gu or shot blocks or something to demonstrate how much it could carry, but it appears to be a ton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch, I don't think I have seen it. Are there built-in options for an upfront garmin mount? I'd imagine tri-bar mounts designed for round bars won't work on the bike.

Also, I haven't been up to date on P1 paint options. Is Vapor Coat no longer available?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a computer mount in project one under accessories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there an option in the p1 order to select 140 or 160 rotors? I did mine over the phone and the shop never mentioned it.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [agbtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agbtri wrote:
Hey Mitch,

My closest shop is working on my order for me, but I haven’t been asked about pursuit bar or pedestal configurations. Is that something I should call and clarify?

Thanks!

Check out the service manual

https://retailerassetsprd.blob.core.windows.net/...ZzABYHTFInUlT%2Fo%3D

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next