Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People keep saying things like the new bikes are "unspectacular evolution rather than revolution." What exactly are you expecting or looking for? I'm genuinely curious?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [mccormas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mccormas wrote:
People keep saying things like the new bikes are "unspectacular evolution rather than revolution." What exactly are you expecting or looking for? I'm genuinely curious?

At least with Cervelos PX or P5 there was a genuine difference in philosophy and form between them. The SC looks a little safe - particulary as we had to wait so long for it. With all the expertise out there in aerodynamics in many industries, is this really the end game of the evolution of the triathlon bike ? I was hoping for a bit more work in the 'rider on' developments, maybe some work on surface textures, adjustable wings and tuneability and some real boundary pushing. Not only this, is this another bike optimised for and basing its gains based on the Kona course ? - an event that many of us won't be heading to. Maybe this really is as far as bike development goes. I guess that with no UCI rules to worry about, I was hoping for more.

All this isn't to say this is a bad bike - it's not. However, its asking a lot for us to rush to buy a bike that appears expensive and will look decidedly bland in the transition racks.
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Nov 18, 21 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
It look solid enough. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the proprietary extension area. The cheeky attempt to claim a 15w gain is a little underhand (thanks for discussing that Dan). All in all, it looks like a well made but unspectacular evolution rather than revolution. I guess that's really all we could hope for. What are the differences between the SL and SLR versions though ?

To counter what Dan said in his article, I'd argue this isn't really the last one of the big brands to launch a disc braked bike - Giant are yet to show their replacement for their Trinity.

(p.s. Just to correct Dan, the isospeed system isn't like - or does the same job as a carbon plated shoe is. Either way, I'm wondering what measurable advantages the isospeed damper system provides in reality.)

first, thank you for the reading what we have on the front page, it's here for those who don't know we have a front page. i could absolutely see anybody taking issue with that statement i made about IsoSpeed. i take issue with my own statement. but the more i think about it, the more defenses come to mind to argue in favor of that analogy.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good article, I reached out to my favorite LBS to get them to order one of the D/A models with the RSL75 wheels. Heavens knows when they will arrive, but my current Speedconcept will cover training/racing until then.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curious how some trek sponsored triathletes got aftermarket aero extensions installed.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KA-CHING!!!

The good news is that it does have disc brakes and a threaded bottom bracket.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/speed-concept/

Last edited by: Fredo_Adagio: Nov 18, 21 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
It look solid enough. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the proprietary extension area. The cheeky attempt to claim a 15w gain is a little underhand (thanks for discussing that Dan). All in all, it looks like a well made but unspectacular evolution rather than revolution. I guess that's really all we could hope for. What are the differences between the SL and SLR versions though ?

To counter what Dan said in his article, I'd argue this isn't really the last one of the big brands to launch a disc braked bike - Giant are yet to show their replacement for their Trinity.

(p.s. Just to correct Dan, the isospeed system isn't like - or does the same job as a carbon plated shoe is. Either way, I'm wondering what measurable advantages the isospeed damper system provides in reality.)

first, thank you for the reading what we have on the front page, it's here for those who don't know we have a front page. i could absolutely see anybody taking issue with that statement i made about IsoSpeed. i take issue with my own statement. but the more i think about it, the more defenses come to mind to argue in favor of that analogy.

Well, a carbon plated shoe advantages are not about damping but lets not split hairs. I was hoping you'd mention the 1990's softrides ;-)

Just picking up the earlier point, I'm also surprised more of an attempt hasn't been made to the shroud the front caliper. Scott seemed to be the only brand that worked on that so far. Overheating isn't going to be an issue that is braked as rarely as this will likely be.

p.s. As was picked up by a high profile figure in the game that I was just chatting to elsewhere, the graph that Trek put on its website to show its aero gain really is very very poor. It's that kind of error that undercuts a brand.
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Nov 18, 21 8:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets talk about the price of the new SC and how its priced out of most peoples range except for most dentist.. Triathlon needs to have competitive affordable try bikes to attract new people.
Last edited by: surfNJmatt: Nov 18, 21 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [fatguytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fatguytri wrote:
Any intel on whether the new SC will be available as frame-only?

Maybe this is a silly question - but is it clear to everyone that the "frameset" option includes the base bar/aero extensions? The photo on the website does not include the base bar/extensions. Seems it would be strange to exclude them but I'm paranoid...
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:

YAY https://www.trekbikes.com/...colorCode=grey_black

no custom Project one?

Project One is on the way - just finalizing the uploads!

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iliketri wrote:
curious how some trek sponsored triathletes got aftermarket aero extensions installed.

It's TBD, but we have been working on a extension plug-in for riders to use their own choice of extensions if they prefer the comfort of others over the stock. However, our extensions were specifically designed to cut wind using a D-shaped design which streamlines airflow from the rider's arms.

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch - do you have a fit chart or calculator you can share? I am trying to figure out the exact setup to order particularly with the front end.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:

If you're unfamiliar or have not used our IsoSpeed system in bikes like the Domane, IsoSpeed is designed to reduce muscle fatigue. This is pretty key for a triathlete who plans to shift to their run after riding their bike - you want your legs to be fresh. IsoSpeed will help to keep the vibrations down that echo to your leg muscles.

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering the price, its a shame that a good few hundred $$$ of carbon will go straight in to the bin (or at least a box on a shelf somewhere)

Now that there are so many custom and semi-custom aerobar options, I expect a lot...if not most people who buy this bike will swap them out straight away. It would be helpful if there was a universal mounting option so that you can easily swap your sexy custom bars from bike to bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
UK Gearmuncher wrote:

If you're unfamiliar or have not used our IsoSpeed system in bikes like the Domane, IsoSpeed is designed to reduce muscle fatigue. This is pretty key for a triathlete who plans to shift to their run after riding their bike - you want your legs to be fresh. IsoSpeed will help to keep the vibrations down that echo to your leg muscles.

Yep, Trek mentioned on their website about some testing of this. Bearing in mind this is a novelty for tri bikes, will any of this data be shared ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Mitch - do you have a fit chart or calculator you can share? I am trying to figure out the exact setup to order particularly with the front end.

Hey Steve! We're going to have an online fit calculator that will be live soon. In the meantime, I'm working on obtaining "hard copy" documents to keep on file for any questions should someone reach out to me that can't access it. I'll assist with fits in the Fit Assistance Thread (aka Official Speed Concept Thread) as Dan linked in his article.

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Nov 18, 21 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
the isospeed system isn't like - or does the same job as a carbon plated shoe is. Either way, I'm wondering what measurable advantages the isospeed damper system provides in reality.

I have both a P5 and a Madone. I can tell you the first time I got on the Madone with its top tube and seat tube iso speed, I had an oh shit moment, in a good way. I am continually blown away how the Modone is both the most comfortable and most responsive bike I've ever owned on imperfect pavement. It's so smooth. If I hadn't ridden it myself, I'd call BS on all the Iso speed comfort claims. If the SC performs half as well as the Madone from an isolation standpoint, I can see it allowing the rider to maintain comfort for a much longer time, allowing for better application of power over time. Not your quantitative answer, but I think the qualitative leads to the eventual quantitative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
UK Gearmuncher wrote:

Yep, Trek mentioned on their website about some testing of this. Bearing in mind this is a novelty for tri bikes, will any of this data be shared ?

Unsure about data for the SC, but we have data plots around the Domane and Madone that have been made public. The most recent being the Madone which uses a similar leverage system as the Speed Concept, but we changed the pivot location on the SC to be more forward to be optimized for a triathlete's weight bias.

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, two plots, is it faster than the old P5?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch

Interested in the frame, it does not look like the frame only option comes with the aerobars? Is that correct? I am hoping that it does and I am just missing it?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:

p.s. As was picked up by a high profile figure in the game that I was just chatting to elsewhere, the graph that Trek put on its website to show its aero gain really is very very poor. It's that kind of error that undercuts a brand.

Do you mean a graph with no gradations or units on the vertical scale...ummm, yeah...LOL

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [velogator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velogator wrote:
Hey Mitch

Interested in the frame, it does not look like the frame only option comes with the aerobars? Is that correct? I am hoping that it does and I am just missing it?

Thanks

Same question here!
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreif wrote:
OK, two plots, is it faster than the old P5?

As I hinted earlier (and as Tom A has also spotted), this poor graph is awful (the lack of a properly labelled vertical axis being the main issue) and really undermines a brand if you're trying to give the impression that some level of science has been involved. It really undermines a brand because it suggests the marketing dpt. are in charge of the science and that instantly makes me lose confidence in them. I thought Trek were above this nonsense after the decent white paper they put out when the original speed concepts were launched years ago.
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Nov 18, 21 9:22
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, agreed. The engineer in me is also screaming at the monitor.
Quote Reply

Prev Next