Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
The existing sc is under $5k which includes mechanical Ultegra, 500 oclv carbon layup that isn’t their top of the line, aluminum seatpost, and some pretty shitty wheels.

Man, I bet you’re a blast to be around at parties!

The current $4200 base bike with the $500 Project One upgrade is a screaming aero bargain; a $1500 set of Hed Jet+ wheels away from standing toe-to-toe, aero-wise, with any tri bike at any price. Hell, a $100 areo-jacket rear wheel cover for the rear with the not-nearly-as-awful-as-some-wheel-snobs-say stock front wheel gets you in the ballpark. It will be sad to see that go away.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Sep 18, 21 22:05
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
stevej wrote:
The existing sc is under $5k which includes mechanical Ultegra, 500 oclv carbon layup that isn’t their top of the line, aluminum seatpost, and some pretty shitty wheels.

Man, I bet you’re a blast to be around at parties!

The current $4200 base bike with the $500 Project One upgrade is a screaming aero bargain; a $1500 set of Hed Jet+ wheels away from standing toe-to-toe, aero-wise, with any tri bike at any price. Hell, a $100 areo-jacket rear wheel cover for the rear with the not-nearly-as-awful-as-some-wheel-snobs-say stock front wheel gets you in the ballpark. It will be sad to see that go away.

Fully agree it’s a bargain. It’s probably the best bike money can buy right now. My overall point (and apologies if I came across as being a dick), is that folks are comparing prices on an entry level bike (current sc) to a top of the line bike (new speed concept slr). It’s like comparing an entry level shiv to an s-works shiv with etap axs and roval clx wheels. We shouldn’t be surprised when the new trek comes with a 12,500-13k price point. Is it worth that? Only the individual buying it can make that decision but my bet is that there will be a lot of orders placed within the first week of it being available. We may eventually see lower end options offered but it will be at least a year and it will depend on market decisions. We all know there is more demand in road, gravel, mountain, and e-bikes than Tri.

I do hope they keep the current offering. The trek website has the frame option up as a 2022 bike so that tells me the frame will be at least available.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [MikeTri86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeTri86 wrote:
stevej wrote:

The new bike is probably going to be offered in higher end components (sram AXS, di2), 800 oclv (similar to the madone/emonda), and much nicer wheels. While the price won’t be for everyone, it shouldn’t be surprising when you compare it to the current offering.

Don't be surprised if they use OCLV 600 which in the schemes of things means very little.
The new bike will likely still be heavier due to the larger tubes and ISO speed.
The new frame is expected to cost more than the current bike costs as a complete bike.
Your focus like for my own personal purchasing decision is based on performance however there needs to be a buy in point that a reasonable number of people can purchase.
I think Trek will squeeze out a large percentage with this disc version.

My guess will be di2 Ultegra rather than mechanical and the Bontrager aeolus comp wheels which look better than the current ones on the rim speed concept but aren't that much better.
I expect a $1500 boost in parts but a bike that will cost 2-3 times at least more than the current one.

I think it's hard for anyone to be able to justify the continual growth in prices on bikes these days.

Agree with a lot of what you said here.

I think you will see Aeolus RSL wheels on the new bike with that 12,500-13k price point. Lower end options (if available) would come with Aeolus pro or comp

Quick edit: this is all moot as I’m told the only way to order will be through project one. So folks are going to customize the bike however they want based on their needs. I’ve personally always done a p1 with lower end wheels for training as I’ve had race wheels ready to go.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Sep 19, 21 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek charge a P1 fee just for selecting a lower level part.
Fingers crossed if they do choose to make all of them P1 only that they don’t charge extra
Last edited by: MikeTri86: Sep 19, 21 5:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m sure the price will come down once the SC7.5 equivalent version comes out. My 2014 was an insane deal at 3000k when I got it back in 2015. I know later on they started shipping them with the uci legal fork and bars which sucked but it was still the fastest bike you could buy at that ridiculous price. I’m pretty sure the 2014 with a good set of wheels if probably faster than the new disc brake version so I see no reason to upgrade but would of course consider buying one if I had to get a new bike. I hope the fit range is as good or better. It was one of a handful of bikes that you could still go long and low.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
I’m sure the price will come down once the SC7.5 equivalent version comes out.

Let’s hope that happens. There’s a bit of concern since it’s apparently only being launched at an “SLR 9.9” level, and we’ve seen two competitive brands (Cannondale & Specialized) launch high end disc brake tri/TT bikes without ever addressing the more affordable end of the spectrum with subsequent offerings. The C-dale Superslice Disc Ultegra Mechanical with alloy training wheels that didn’t even pretend to be aero was $2500 more than an SC. And the Shiv Disc frameset still costs $800 more than a complete Speed Concept.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the bright side - you'll likely have until at least 2023 to save up your money!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Confirmed that’s a decoupler in the rear? I’ve been wanting dampening on a TT bike for sometime - I think TT bikes can be ridden faster with some give due to less slipping on the saddle, better sustained pedaling, etc. also hoping for larger fire clearance - 28-29mm tires all the way for me at 75-80psi on 23-25mm internal diameter wheels, please.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean internal width? You've got your wish there. Their new aero disc wheels are 23mm internal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
... also hoping for larger fire clearance - 28-29mm tires all the way for me at 75-80psi on 23-25mm internal diameter wheels, please.

Yes, this is my primary interest in a disc brake SC. The current bike is plenty fast enough, but the roads around here are harsh. I'd like to be able to fit higher volume tires; 28c Schwable Pro One TT tires on a +/- 33mm wide (external) rim for racing, and maybe even 30c Pro One TLRs for training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a cheap SpeedConcept without discs, umm just buy on of the many, many used ones out there. Or Shiv, P3C, P4 ect- there will be a massive supply for a long time.

As a SpeedConcept owner (had a v1 and now own a v2), my wish list was: 1. thru axles for stiffness (no more rubbing out of the saddle), as this was a big improvement on the Madones when they went to disc brakes. 2. Hydro disc brake for better power and modulation, wet weather braking with carbon wheels and no more wheel rub on the brake pads out of the saddle (as seen in the disc versions Madone/Domane over the earlier rim versions) and no more rear cable routing faff/issues. 3. More room for wider rim tubeless wheels in the back. 4. IsoSpeed (I am a fan). 5. Threaded BB (BB90 a bit of a PITA). 6. Easier adjustment to the front end. 7. Better integrated flat kit storage. 8. Around the same weight.

Looks like most of my wishes are met, so I will order a P1 version and wait it out. Happy to ride my current one till then. In fact, likely will keep it (just had it overhauled at the shop) as a backup/travel bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Confirmed that’s a decoupler in the rear? I’ve been wanting dampening on a TT bike for sometime - I think TT bikes can be ridden faster with some give due to less slipping on the saddle, better sustained pedaling, etc.

I can't 100% confirm it but if you look at all the pictures, I'm 99% sure it's ISO speed as it looks very similar to my madone.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to much talk, not enough pics ;)

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Last edited by: sergio: Sep 20, 21 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it almost definitely has isospeed and a toptube bento box. However it doesn't seem to have behind the saddle storage, a hydration setup, or an easily adjustable front end... I'm not exactly excited by it, unless it posts some crazy drag numbers. However that seems a bit unlikely as it doesn't seem too different from the current speed concept.
Last edited by: Cajer: Sep 20, 21 14:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikeTri86 wrote:
Those who I know with hydration systems like the speedmax ands works shiv mostly keep them for races and just use standard bottles for races. A bit like using a disc wheel. Time and place for it.

I agree. I think integrated hydration is a great idea for what I would call the "non-UCI restricted TTer." This would cover a rider who is neither a triathlete nor will ever be asked to put their bike in a UCI jig. So British TTers, club TTs in the USA, or really most USAC TT races (short of events like Nationals). This type of racer doesn't have to follow UCI rules and isn't worried about refueling their hydration, as their longest race is likely 40K. And even if filling up the hydration is a bit of a PIA, it's not really a big deal since it's a pre-race exercise. Being able to hold position and drink from a straw provides an aero advantage compared to having to reach down for a bottle (and then get it back into the cage, which is trickier with aero bottles).

So with integrated hydration, practice with the straw a couple times, then train with standard bottles and remove them for the race.

I was really hoping the tri version of the new SC would have integrated hydration. The new Canyon is looking more appealing now.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This also applies for tri. For events up to a 70.2 you can just use the integrated bladder (assuming 500-750ml) and a BTA and call it a day without having to faff about with a behind the seat bottle or an aero bottle on the downtube.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
This also applies for tri. For events up to a 70.2 you can just use the integrated bladder (assuming 500-750ml) and a BTA and call it a day without having to faff about with a behind the seat bottle or an aero bottle on the downtube.

unfortunately 70.3 is just a bit too far ;)

but yeah, this bike has a lot to like about it - isospeed is a great addition and the top-tube bento looks really clean - but the lack of integrated hydration is a big fail to me.
they've thought about it with the custom frame bottle but that looks awkward to say the least and just a means of refilling your BTA. once they are both empty you can't pickup on-course bottles unless you also have a BTS for a standard cage in which case the frame bottle is kinda redundant.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" 8. Around the same weight."

That might be a big ask with the rear Isospeed which adds some weight. My wife's Domane has it both front and rear and it definitely works, I can feel it working on the bumps, but her bike is definitely on the porky side. I suspect part of the weight issue with her bike is also the storage compartment on the down tube, assuming the new SC has a built in storage compartment that will likely also add weight. It's possible that the simpler front end might be lighter than the existing very complicated setup and make up for the added weight elsewhere. Now I know weight doesn't matter that much but I still don't like to see any weight added that isn't absolutely necessary. If you can run wider tires the benefit of the Isospeed isn't as compelling, so assuming you can run 28/30C tires for training to me that gives plenty of comfort, and I prefer the simplicity of wider tires compared with mechanical devices for comfort. I suppose the benefit of the Isospeed comes more in play when you run narrower tires for race day, as you should for best aerodynamics. And it certainly is a unique differentiator from a sales perspective.

The top tube bento is very clean but looks awfully small. I suspect the front end is not going to be nearly as easy to adjust as the Cervelo mono post but pretty much anything would be easier than the current front end which really locks you into one position as you have to recable every time you change a mono spacer, which even for a good mechanic is not a quick job and less so for most of us.

I'm pretty happy with my current SC in terms of the speed it gives me and pretty hard to justify all the expense of upgrading when you include wheels, but I must say since I now have a road bike with 32C tires and stable handling I've found myself using the SC a lot less and feeling less safe and confident on it. So we'll see...
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The top tube bento looks bigger than the current one. Though my hope is that it will be able to fit a flask like the 3d printed one the pro's have used for 140.6. It was one of the few things I didn't like about the current bike.

One thing to note is that the basebar/stem looks to be one piece. So a stem change (assuming it's available) just became even more expensive than it already was. Even more reason to make sure you have your fit dialed in before purchasing.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
One thing to note is that the basebar/stem looks to be one piece. So a stem change (assuming it's available) just became even more expensive than it already was.

Isn't this every single super bike? Beside the SuperSlice, I can't think of any other system that isn't one piece
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
stevej wrote:
One thing to note is that the basebar/stem looks to be one piece. So a stem change (assuming it's available) just became even more expensive than it already was.

Isn't this every single super bike? Beside the SuperSlice, I can't think of any other system that isn't one piece

Good point. I was just noting that it's different than the previous sc bikes. Most didn't like having to re-cable the bike for a simple fit change (mono spacer, stem). But if the bike is only available in electronic shifting, some of those concerns may go away.

Going to stem/bar should reduce the weight a bit and maybe it will offset the disc brakes. Those aluminum stems were never light.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But now you will have a hydraulic hose, well 2, going through that junction that would need to be bled after changing anything out. So, short of fitting that cool connector Dan showcased on the front page it will not really get much easier to change a stem/bar out for a different fit setup.

As an owner of a Speed Concept, I never found the stem to be an issue. I had my fit figured out and set it up accordingly. My fit did not change a full stem size so I never worried about it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For anybody interested in seeing more, Skye Moench has posted some photos of her new Trek (in a pretty stunning purple) from Chattanooga on Instagram.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really nice color. Looks sharp.

I see a compartment for a blip box or di2 junction A on the underside of the base bar.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next