Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
no argument there, point is not a fan of the T47 BB

when i first got going in the bike biz, we had threaded BBs. we had to face the BB and chase the threads, so, there was that (when i made bikes we did that for our customers so they didn't have to do it), but the fact that the BBs were straight, faceable, and threaded made installing BBs easier.

i don't have a big problem with pressfit, in terms of the install, but there is no really good way to uninstall it. it's pretty violent. what T47 does is make the uninstall better. i'm curious to know your issue with this BB standard.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my main issue is lack of availability of bottom bracket cups for the Campagnolo UT cranks. There are several aftermarket ones available but at 4 -5x the cost of normal cups. Argonaut makes a nice looking set for about $75. A year ago there wasn't much available but that is slowly changing. Maybe by the time I decide to upgrade to the new SC it will be a moot point. My current SC with Campy Super Record EPS is fine but I really would like the disc brake option. Right now the bigger issue for me is the Campy TT EPS shifters aren't available with hydraulics.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
my main issue is lack of availability of bottom bracket cups for the Campagnolo UT cranks. There are several aftermarket ones available but at 4 -5x the cost of normal cups. Argonaut makes a nice looking set for about $75. A year ago there wasn't much available but that is slowly changing. Maybe by the time I decide to upgrade to the new SC it will be a moot point. My current SC with Campy Super Record EPS is fine but I really would like the disc brake option. Right now the bigger issue for me is the Campy TT EPS shifters aren't available with hydraulics.

ah. so it's not anything mechanical about the standard, rather compatibility? okay. but don't you think campy has a role to play in that? is there something about campy's cranks that forestall its ability to mount to a BB in a T47 standard?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for me mostly a compatibility issue. Just getting everything to install properly and certainly Campy plays a part in that and needs to catch up with the changing landscape. Don't get me wrong, huge Trek fan. Been on a TTX, two first gen SC's and now the 2nd gen SC and previous roadie was a Madone. Aside from the bottom bracket I wish both Trek and other frame manufacturers would also make the rear exit hole for the rear derailleur a bit bigger so that the electric coupler would fit through without having to take a drill to it. Both Trek and my current roadie frame Corretec had that issue.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
marcag wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I think at this point consumers should be demanding data from independent sources who are completely transparent about the process used to obtain their numbers.

If you're a consumer and blindly believe some of the wild numbers being claimed, well, that's on you because I can guarantee those numbers didn't come from engineering, they were washed through marketing.

I wasn't around for the Aero Shootout, but was any of that crowd funded? What did that cost? You can't demand that stuff if someone isn't already doing it. In regards to consumers...80% of people likely buy what fits them that their favorite LBS sells...but after seeing if it looks cool. Because remember, the first rule: always look cool.

They had a target of $4100 and raised $4280.
https://www.gofundme.com/...tt-bike-aerodynamics

It was extremely well done. Their white paper and that of the P5 at launch were the two best to date.

Historically Trek has provided good data so I'm optimistic we will see enough info to make educated guesses on the new bike. If Mitch is around to answer questions on the Trek data, then bonus. Product managers/engineers able to answer questions (like Damon did), is gold. Take away his popcorn and feed him a few beers :-)

It is very hard to find independent and competent sources but Brian and Heath achieved it.

There is another paper that made a claim like the 17W, but they explain how they get it and the slightly technical person can figure out what is real and what is fluff. But at least all the data is there to figure it out.

But that's also not what that cost, gotta lump in the cost of the bikes, travel, hotels, etc. But that's pretty good, I'd throw a fiver at this if they did it again.

You'd need to throw more than a fiver at it!
That gofund me did not cover the entire cost of the project. IIRC Kiley was out of pocket about $2.5-3.5k when all was said and done.
I know there was a thread regarding doing a second shootout, could be a fun project. IIRC the goal on the second one was taking 4-5 people and seeing the drag reductions with different people. Total cost if you wanted to really find out what these bikes did for a cross section of riders and make it more applicable to the masses is in the $12-15k range.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To truly do something like this, without having the bikes in hand already what are we talking? 100k? If only bike companies sent models to get aero tested like they do to get ride tested by media members. Similar to how shoe companies seem to send shoes out. Obviously it's cheaper to send shoes, but I see media ride testing new bikes all the time.

My interest in this is pretty casual, so let's go with a 10er instead of a 5er!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Nov 11, 21 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder which aftermarket bar that is. It would be surprising to have that much tilt available in a stock bar, right?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreif wrote:
Wonder which aftermarket bar that is. It would be surprising to have that much tilt available in a stock bar, right?

They both have different brands of ski bends inserted in reverse. 51ss FSM's on the Trek and the Shiv will be going back to a Uniquo Custom soon

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the pic RVB put on insta. I hope its a standard option to run any extensions you want (no custom parts please). Every other trek pro has been running the stock ones which aren't circular.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Nov 11, 21 13:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

What's the wattage loss with running a different set up though?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
mccormas wrote:
At this rate, I'll be getting something like 50W of aero gains when I switch from my Specialized Transition, aluminum brake track 404s, no disc, tri shorts with cycling jersey, and LG rocket helmet to a new tri bike, modern wheels and tires, a disc, an aero short sleeve trisuit, and aerohead helmet. Unless, of course, most of the proposed gains from manufacturers are overstated...

Honestly, if your fit can be improved a little and your current kit has a bunch of wrinkles, 50W above 22mph sounds plausible for all those changes. Depending on details of course (tires, tubes, etc.)

Just the items he specified... which are aero equipment, not position.

Even with a crappy .25 CdA it only takes ~190W to go that speed. So he saves 50W, and only needs 140W to go 22mph... that's a CdA of .16, or a drop of .09 (56%). The bike and wheels only have ~.06 CdA to start with!

The Transition is no slouch. Old 404s aren't either with narrow tires. A better suit, helmet, and maybe bars and I bet he'd be within .01 of anything he could buy.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
Cajer wrote:
BB30 is super annoying as it's really short, so your cranks stick out super far and you need spacers.

Those of us of the duck footed persuasion find BB30 cranks* often have better heel/ankle clearance than most other current cranks...

If you aren't duck footed you can get a narrow Q with BB30 as well. Even install a cheap threaded insert and run old square taper cranks. That's one thing I liked about current QR bikes, but don't know what the new ones have.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

What's the wattage loss with running a different set up though?

As far as I know, no windtunnel comparison data between the new stock set up and the set up as seen - set up as seen is more comfortable and tested fast last year. The uniquo custom set up tested by the Specialized rider did test faster in the windtunnel - had 3D printed parts to swap in and out. tested via CFD first, then printed parts, then full bar tested in windtunnel. Was faster. Interesting: widening elbows allowed more ability to shrug and that was a huge savings

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Park tool makes a "fairly expense" kit that allows non-impact removal of BBs, as do some companies that sell on Amazon (presumably Asian based companies). They don't work as well on stock shimano BBs but do work with aftermarket BBs.

https://www.parktool.com/...ess-puller-set-bbp-2

https://www.amazon.com/...3&language=en_US

From my understanding, T47 BBs are still threaded directly in the carbon frame (vs. metal insert), and I have heard that Press fit shell alignment issues are caused by carbon resin settling and contrasting during manufacturing as manufacturers don't want to wait days before boring the BB shell.

Since wheels mfg, BBInfinite are all charging a fortune for a one piece aluminum BB and people are paying for them. It seems like the natural thing to do is just go back to having a one piece alumnimum BB shell bonded in the frame which all but guarantees alignment, but alas we need new BB standards....

In short, pressfit's creaking issue might be a carbon frame issue, and pressfit came out when we stopped using an aluminum shell for BBs. Who knows if T47 will be enough of a fix. It's true that threaded interface are less prone to creaking when misaligned but it feels like a bandaid fix.

All this is, who knows if T47 is good or bad, most bike companies seem less engineer focused than marketing focused, this feels a bit like the specialized fork recall. Compression ring cutting fork? Redesign compression ring to be similar to the old venge and venge vias compression ring? Too much work. Let's just add a shim and call it a day. To make people feel good, let's give them this compression plug with an extra long end cap. you say the extra long end cap doesn't actually prevent a crash just makes the crash less worse? Good enough.

Slowman wrote:

i don't have a big problem with pressfit, in terms of the install, but there is no really good way to uninstall it. it's pretty violent. what T47 does is make the uninstall better. i'm curious to know your issue with this BB standard.

Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Nov 11, 21 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:
Park tool makes a "fairly expense" kit that allows non-impact removal of BBs, as do some companies that sell on Amazon (presumably Asian based companies). They don't work as well on stock shimano BBs but do work with aftermarket BBs.

https://www.parktool.com/...ess-puller-set-bbp-2

https://www.amazon.com/...3&language=en_US

From my understanding, T47 BBs are still threaded directly in the carbon frame (vs. metal insert), and I have heard that Press fit shell alignment issues are caused by carbon resin settling and contrasting during manufacturing as manufacturers don't want to wait days before boring the BB shell.

Since wheels mfg, BBInfinite are all charging a fortune for a one piece aluminum BB and people are paying for them. It seems like the natural thing to do is just go back to having a one piece alumnimum BB shell bonded in the frame which all but guarantees alignment, but alas we need new BB standards....

In short, pressfit's creaking issue might be a carbon frame issue, and pressfit came out when we stopped using an aluminum shell for BBs. Who knows if T47 will be enough of a fix. It's true that threaded interface are less prone to creaking when misaligned but it feels like a bandaid fix.

All this is, who knows if T47 is good or bad, most bike companies seem less engineer focused than marketing focused, this feels a bit like the specialized fork recall. Compression ring cutting fork? Redesign compression ring to be similar to the old venge and venge vias compression ring? Too much work. Let's just add a shim and call it a day. To make people feel good, let's give them this compression plug with an extra long end cap. you say the extra long end cap doesn't actually prevent a crash just makes the crash less worse? Good enough.
Slowman wrote:

thanks. i spose i should've been aware of that tool. my process is more... ballistic. i used to press in my BB30 dry; i've taken now to using anti-seize in an effort to prevent creak. but i don't have enough data to render an opinion on that.

as to T47, i think a lot of folks are going to be working on their own bikes in the future. it's a big ask to either spend $650 on an extraction tool or take a big hammer to your bike in order to uninstall a BB. that's separate from the press to install it. i don't remember exactly why we felt (as an industry) that it was all of a sudden a good idea to press instead of thread a BB.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Nov 12, 21 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't remember exactly why we felt (as an industry) that it was all of a sudden a good idea to press instead of thread a BB.

Perhaps like so many other decisions, it's quicker and cheaper on the front end.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it!
From what I have seen on social media, looks like a spare compartment near the seat post, and an internal bento box near the stem. Plus the optional "integrated" bottle on the bars some of the pros are using.
I know it isn't as "integrated" as some other bikes (internal water reservoir), but it sure is minimalist and sleek.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As it's lighter and doesn't create any issues if you have decent tolerances.

Also you don't need percussive removal, you can make your own BB puller with pvc pipe, some washers/nuts, and a threaded rod.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the look of that. I hope that they make a 'cheaper' version without the integrated storage but bosses for a bento on the top tube. I would be more than happy to convert the aero bottle to storage and run an bottle outback as well as the the BTA option. I have a suspicion however that Trek will follow in the footsteps of Specialized and only produce a single version of the frame with a matchingly high sticker price.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is anyone from here actually going to be an attendance to the event tomorrow? I don't think they're live streaming it for us :(

Hopefully someone here can share the experience!
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the pricing with these is including a PM too?
Last edited by: Slowman: Nov 17, 21 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh snap! love those paint jobs.

Yes, it says they come with the AXS power meter. so thats in the price! \\

I wish that site showed the new geometry charts!
Last edited by: sigmachi: Nov 17, 21 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be at the VIP party before and at the event. I don't know if IU can, but maybe ill do a fb/ig live

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply

Prev Next