Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:
Wonder what the 0:00 time stamp is?

Maybe the time difference between the new SC and the old SC?

That was really funny. Best post for me in a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
I really hope their white paper has drag/yaw plots of the old SC, new SC (UCI and non-UCI), new Scott Plasma, P5, and new Canyon. As everyone else is just saying we are 100 watts faster than our old bike, which doesn't really help consumers at all when choosing between bikes. But I guess they'll only release something like that if their new bike is stellar.

That's almost as funny as Brian's joke.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:

I was thinking the same exact thing....
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo does claim an improvement of ~5 watts going from the S5 rim to disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not what their data showed, unless you applied a very selective weighting to the yaw distribution.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah I just read through and saw they use averaged drag across all yaw angles without a weighting…. That’s super lame so the s5 disc is likely only a watt faster than the old s5 once you weight it…

I assumed they used a weighting towards low yaw as everyone else does
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying in general.....

I'll go against the grain..........I think it is a good update. As a former owner of two SC's, I think the main improvements that were needed were:

1. Disc brakes
2. Get rid of the press fit BB (I'm assuming they did this?)

Anything else I think is icing on the cake. Of course the bike has to fit like any other bike would have to. But if the geo meets your fit needs, then good to go. And of course I'm also assuming they've put mounts on the back of the seat tube for an aero box like previous gen

We've already discussed to death how all these top end frames are so close in terms of aero that there is little to gain.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Is it me or does it look like a 2010 Speed Concept but with disc brakes?

It looks like a cross between the Trek TTX Equinox and the new Scott Plasma

Because of the wonky UCI rules the bike just looks weird. Will have to see the tri version before I pass judgment. Integration and adjustment better be good though..........
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to say, it looks like a TTX and the newer UCI Shiv had an abomination baby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
Though that was not a new frame design. It was more let's slap discs on it and see how little we can change our molds as they are expensive.

Ummm...no...it was actually a case of actively changing the new rim brake version with questionable design choices so that it wouldn't still be faster than the disc brake version. With BOTH being slower than the previous rim brake version :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
Ah I just read through and saw they use averaged drag across all yaw angles without a weighting…. That’s super lame so the s5 disc is likely only a watt faster than the old s5 once you weight it…

I assumed they used a weighting towards low yaw as everyone else does

...and then what happens when you put an actual aero brake (and better cable routing) on the front of the rim S5? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Replying in general.....

I'll go against the grain..........I think it is a good update. As a former owner of two SC's, I think the main improvements that were needed were:

1. Disc brakes

Anything else I think is icing on the cake. Of course the bike has to fit like any other bike would have to. But if the geo meets your fit needs, then good to go. And of course I'm also assuming they've put mounts on the back of the seat tube for an aero box like previous gen

We've already discussed to death how all these top end frames are so close in terms of aero that there is little to gain.

"Improvement"....<LOL>...

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to use a tririg omega on my s5, but found the braking performance not up to par as I like in a mountainous area. So I switched to eebrakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
I used to use a tririg omega on my s5, but found the braking performance not up to par as I like in a mountainous area. So I switched to eebrakes.

That performance can be highly dependent on braking surface material and pad material...that said, the eebrake (with aero cover) should be an improvement aerodynamically over what they tested.

edit: Although residing next to the Pacific Ocean, I too live in a mountainous area ;-)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jun 3, 21 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
We're off topic, but I use tririg brakes on all three of my road bikes including my S5 and they work great. My strava stats for Jan-May 2021: Distance 5461mi, Elevation gain: 547,119ft. Mountainous enough for you?

To keep things on topic, I do think the gen2 Speed Concept's brakes had room for improvement, but if it means a slower bike I'm out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Replying in general.....

1. Disc brakes

I get it. I guess from my point of view, its an improvement because I was sick and tired of dealing with hidden, finicky, cabled brakes. As far as aerodynamics and stopping power, no, I do not think disc brakes fix anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
Replying in general.....

1. Disc brakes

I get it. I guess from my point of view, its an improvement because I was sick and tired of dealing with hidden, finicky, cabled brakes. As far as aerodynamics and stopping power, no, I do not think disc brakes fix anything.

Got it...so, what you're saying is the improvement is in hydraulic brakes (which isn't necessarily a disc or rim brake specific feature)...I can go with that (especially for TT/Tri applications) :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydraulic is part of it, but also by having discs (as opposed to hydro rim calipers like on the original P5), it still gets rid of the rim caliper, making it easier to use different width wheels etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Hydraulic is part of it, but also by having discs (as opposed to hydro rim calipers like on the original P5), it still gets rid of the rim caliper, making it easier to use different width wheels etc.

That would be a brake design issue. Plenty of brakes with easily adjustable pad width.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

That would be a brake design issue. Plenty of brakes with easily adjustable pad width.

Yes........but not the speed concept!! lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:

How does a SC do against a P5 ? Let's say rim vs rim.

One comparison I saw had the P5 better at 0 yaw and the SC better at yaw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Cajer wrote:
Though that was not a new frame design. It was more let's slap discs on it and see how little we can change our molds as they are expensive.

Ummm...no...it was actually a case of actively changing the new rim brake version with questionable design choices so that it wouldn't still be faster than the disc brake version. With BOTH being slower than the previous rim brake version :-/

Are you saying the new SC is slower than the rim brake version? Out of curiosity, how do you know? Is it a guess, or do you have info?

I know you are one of the resident aero gurus, but wondering if you could expand more on the statement.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
How does a SC do against a P5 ? Let's say rim vs rim.

One comparison I saw had the P5 better at 0 yaw and the SC better at yaw.

14g is what trek said the difference was, and that was within the margin of error of their measurement. I would also argue, solely based on personal experience is that the main advancement on the madone from the previous version isn't the aero benefit, but the balance of aero to improved ride compliance and improved braking. It's a rocket ship when you step on the pedals and rides like a cadillac over poor road surfaces.

"Experimental results collected at the San Diego Low Speed Wind Tunnel are displayed in Figure 2. Final new Madone numbers show an average of 3,216 g across a -12.5° to 12.5° yaw sweep vs the current Madone at 3,202 g. A 14 g difference that is within Trek’s project goal and within a wind tunnel’s experimental error band"

echappist wrote:
Cajer wrote:
I'd be quite happy if it was no faster than my current SC, as then I wouldn't need to spend another 8k on a bike. But I'm pretty sure it will be a few watts faster as there's no other reason Trek would have waited so long to release a disc brake TT bike.

With Trek’s track record on rim vs. disc, one shouldn’t be so sure (see Madone rim vs Madone disc)

Last edited by: agreif: Jun 3, 21 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Adjustable length, but no way to rotate the “ski pole”. They are angled, but it looks like additional Angle adjustability would require a different piece for the bar riser interface. They would probable work well for 90% of the target population, but I am sure Wattshop will be busy making a mounting system for their bars.

maybe that top "shim" above the pedestal can be swapped for different angles? I like the TR curve version for continuous adjustment better though.

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Cajer wrote:

Are you saying the new SC is slower than the rim brake version? Out of curiosity, how do you know? Is it a guess, or do you have info?

I know you are one of the resident aero gurus, but wondering if you could expand more on the statement.

Thanks

No. That comment was in regards to the conversation about the previous experience of the Madone "updates".

Quote Reply

Prev Next