Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
What’s the ‘identified above’?

I assume it’s specific date built bikes ?

All 2022 MY Speed Concepts are affected.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well shit eh…. Wonder what changes they have made to the incoming base bar that makes it ‘crack proof’?

I have one due mid July, wonder if I’ll get a good base bar or ol’ cracky.

To those who already have this bike…. Got any base bar scratches and marks already ? Well never fear ! New one on the way lol.
Infact curious anyone checked underneath and found some hairline cracks ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote BBB1975
Do not call any customers until Trek announces the recall.[/quote]

That's crappy customer service advice. does this make Trek liable now since they know about it, and are internally withholding safety hazard information from the owners instead of an immediate release? So all current owners ride away but don't test ride one?
I have one foot in towards buying the hot ass Viper Red SLR9 Dura Ace but a little hesitant now. Current owners help me out here..reassure me.
Last edited by: mike s: Jun 20, 22 5:29
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the information!

The service manager was going to chase down my BTA bottle part number issue and get back to me Tuesday so I asked him to ask Trek rep about the recall. My bike is the only one sold out of that particular shop to date so maybe that is why they have not yet been informed (they don't have any in stock on the floor so test riding has not come up). It does feel like Trek needs to tell all their Trek shops so they don't send customers out on the bikes with 'we don't know of any recall issues'. That isn't the shop's fault.

As for the bike, I've had two long rides on it and it is fantastic. The ISO ride thing is SWEET and the bike rides really well overall. I need to fiddle with the front end fit a bit more but pending this recall issue I may see if I can put my TriRig front end on it if they can't resolve it by race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBB1975 wrote:
SusanH wrote:
Thanks, I called my shop and the service manager has not heard of this.

Hope Trek clarifies soon.

Here’s the text of what trek sent to their dealers.

“Trek is asking you to check your inventory and sales floor for any Speed Concept models identified above. If you have any affected bikes, please
follow the steps below:

1. Remove affected bikes from sale immediately and do not permit test rides of affected bikes until we have a replacement base bar available.
2. Report each bike on a B2B service claim, starting Friday,June 17th under issue code, "SPEED CONCEPT MY22 BASE BAR" (found under the
Recall section). Include a photo of the bike's serial number with your service claim.
3. For each claim approved, Trek will send a color-matched replacement base bar, a US$75 credit for replacement handlebar tape and hydraulic
brake housing (to be provided by the shop), and a labor credit of US$100. We expect inventory of replacement base bars by mid-July 2022.

Trek will contact you again when the safety recall is ready to be announced to the public. In the meantime, please keep this matter confidential.

Do not call any customers until Trek announces the recall.

If a customer comes into your store with an affected bike before Trek announces the
recall, inform the customer that Trek has received a report of an issue with the Speed Concept, is investigating it, and out of an abundance of
caution, recommends that customers not ride the bike until the base bar is replaced. If you have any questions, contact your Trek representative.â€
Unfortunate and odd. Are there any Trek shops with a new SC sitting on their floor available for test rides? Seems very unlikely.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not odd if they are working with the CPSC and doing a recall through them- they may be waiting for the approval. Take a deep breath a wait a day or two after the Federal Holiday, and things will be clear.

Oh and check your base bar, if its broken or cracked, don't ride it. Or do, I'm not your mom.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking with the shop, they told me it would "most likely be ok if theres no indication of a crack." I raced the bike yesterday after some careful inspection and thankfully it was uneventful. However, it was at the front of my during every descent. I wont be riding it again until the bar is replaced.

I'm no lawyer, but I find it very disconcerting that shops were told not to let customers know of the issue. We all invest a tremendous amount of money in these bikes, and the least they could do is look after our safety.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JPDMD25 wrote:
Speaking with the shop, they told me it would "most likely be ok if theres no indication of a crack." I raced the bike yesterday after some careful inspection and thankfully it was uneventful. However, it was at the front of my during every descent. I wont be riding it again until the bar is replaced.

I'm no lawyer, but I find it very disconcerting that shops were told not to let customers know of the issue. We all invest a tremendous amount of money in these bikes, and the least they could do is look after our safety.

Agree. Hard to believe they would be so foolish to put that info out there knowing it would be shared to a customer somewhere out among the hundred or thousands of shops around the country. Hopefully only isses are a noted or noticed crack and not something that actually broke in a ride.

Also kinda scary that Sam Long was hit by a car and hit the deck (bike obviously did too) and then he raced on it.

I also feel bad for the folks that bought this, have it and sold their previous bike and now are out of a bike until mid July, at best.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
BBB1975 wrote:
Do not call any customers until Trek announces the recall.

That's crappy customer service advice. does this make Trek liable now since they now about it, and are internally withholding safety hazard information from the owners instead of an immediate release? So all current owners ride away but don't test ride one?
I have one foot in towards buying the hot ass Viper Red SLR9 Dura Ace but a little hesitant now. Current owners help me out here..reassure me.

Hey Mike. I've had 4 speed concepts over the years (all 3 gen's). I have had some parts warrantied on both gen 1 and gen 2 bikes and trek has always taken care of me (fork, seat post, stem) in a very reasonable time (~7-10 days or less). Now that was all pre-covid so supply chain issues are really going to be a factor with this "base bar issue". I really think it helps to have a GOOD bike shop/trek dealer who has a good working relationship with trek and knows what they are doing. That seems to really help warranty claim process and any support you need down the road for service, parts, etc.

We don't have any detailed information on the actual issue so it's hard to comment but I'm confident trek will take care of those who already have the bike and anyone that has one on order. I'm not sure if they mfg the base bar in WI or overseas. If it's overseas, lead times may be a bit longer than we would like but unfortunately, I think we just have to live with it like every other consumer. I inspected my bike over the weekend and didn't find any issues. I've got over 2600 miles some of which was on some rough chip seal roads, vegas hills, and st george. Some of those descends in vegas and st george were quite fast. Needless to say, I haven't had a single issue but I am n=1. I will continue to ride my bike unless more information comes to light. If folks are really concerned and don't have another bike to ride, I see a very low risk with sticking the bike on the trainer until a fix is provided.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jun 20, 22 5:30
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not around here nope. My order from mid July has been pushed back to mid august now to account for the new base bar.
Tried to change the order to the icon alchemy but wasn’t allowed, have to stick to the muslane blue. Was worth a shot, didn’t think I could.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also inspected mine closely and went ahead and raced it hard on Sunday including a few big bumps (speed control humps) exiting onto the bike course. I still have my older second Gen SpeedConcept as a back-up/travel bike if it comes to that.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So.. i had an employee of a Trek store contact me about Carbon repairs around 3 months a go, their customer was fairly desperate for a repair before an upcoming triathlon. I was sent pictures of the bullhorn of the basebar which had snapped on a new Speed Concept. Although the obvious advice would be replace the bars the reality is not so simple as we know and so i agreed to repairing them. Upon inspection of the item it was quite obvious the weakness was the location of the cable port close to the 90 degree corner and that the long bull horn provides a lot of leverage to this area. It would appear that despite it being packed in the new Tri bike box alan it was not sufficient to prevent damage in transit by the airline baggage handlers. Said customer has since completed more events on the bike.

Last edited by: Anonturbo: Jun 20, 22 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Anonturbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anonturbo wrote:
So.. i had an employee of a Trek store contact me about Carbon repairs around 3 months a go, their customer was fairly desperate for a repair before an upcoming triathlon. I was sent pictures of the bullhorn of the basebar which had snapped on a new Speed Concept. Although the obvious advice would be replace the bars the reality is not so simple as we know and so i agreed to repairing them. Upon inspection of the item it was quite obvious the weakness was the location of the cable port close to the 90 degree corner and that the long bull horn provides a lot of leverage to this area. It would appear that despite it being packed in the new Tri bike box alan it was not sufficient to prevent damage in transit by the airline baggage handlers. Said customer has since completed more events on the bike.

So the bike was damaged in transit via flight and not while riding?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Anonturbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every pic I see it seems no one cuts the bar ends of these bikes, they always look really long ? My second gen looks stubby in comparison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's my understanding that there wasn't visible damage to the case because the damage to the bike wasn't discovered until unpacking. I don't know how close the bars sit to the inner walls of the case. I haven't seen any other pictures of the bars failing to compare failure modes. The bars were trimmed according to the dealer.
Quote Reply
Re: Confirmed - 22 Trek Speed Concept - Safety Recall - Cross Bar - New Trek Speed Concept [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing this. I can confirm through my LBS that this is indeed the case (although they are still waiting for an official announcement from Trek before telling owners - which seems horrible to me and opening them up to some lawsuits if someone gets hurt/killed in between when they knew and when they actually tell people who don't just happen to go into the LBS). I was told the announcement would be yesterday - but it didn't happen and I got on the Trek chat today and asked what was going on and what they would be doing for people who missed races, had hotels/flights and other expenses - and they confirmed the issue, and said they had to wait until it went through safety commissions and legal etc. Sounds like there will be some sort of compensation for those of us who will be out of $ for missed races (like myself who probably won't race San Diego International this weekend now but can't cancel the race hotel charge at this late of date - plus race entry etc). So glad there is a community out there to share this type of info!
Quote Reply
Re: Confirmed - 22 Trek Speed Concept - Safety Recall - Cross Bar - New Trek Speed Concept [trigeek51] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trigeek51 wrote:
Thanks for sharing this. I can confirm through my LBS that this is indeed the case (although they are still waiting for an official announcement from Trek before telling owners - which seems horrible to me and opening them up to some lawsuits if someone gets hurt/killed in between when they knew and when they actually tell people who don't just happen to go into the LBS). I was told the announcement would be yesterday - but it didn't happen and I got on the Trek chat today and asked what was going on and what they would be doing for people who missed races, had hotels/flights and other expenses - and they confirmed the issue, and said they had to wait until it went through safety commissions and legal etc. Sounds like there will be some sort of compensation for those of us who will be out of $ for missed races (like myself who probably won't race San Diego International this weekend now but can't cancel the race hotel charge at this late of date - plus race entry etc). So glad there is a community out there to share this type of info!

Huge fan of Trek. Currently own 3. Would doubt that they would reimburse anyone in this case since they’re a bike manufacturer and not an insurance provider. Would love to hear that I’m wrong. Please let us know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With shipping this box is over $800!

Anyone else recommend hard cases for aero bikes, especially that would fit the new SC comfortably. Preferably closer to $500?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Confirmed - 22 Trek Speed Concept - Safety Recall - Cross Bar - New Trek Speed Concept [trigeek51] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW I just inspected for cracks, found none and just raced on it. Will do the swap when available of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Confirmed - 22 Trek Speed Concept - Safety Recall - Cross Bar - New Trek Speed Concept [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just heard from my Trek shop confirming the recall (which apparently affects the Emonda as well). Trek is working on the recall details with the CPSC, so for now, the shop is just putting together a list of people they know with the affected bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies for not chiming in on this sooner, but we have been awaiting further development before making this go live. Currently, Trek is working with the CPSC and other governing authorities to investigate an issue related to the carbon handlebars found on the Speed Concept SLR. We plan to release complete details soon and provide a solution for all riders so they can get back to riding the bike they love - this is in the works now, so I don't have complete details to provide, but when I do, I'll be sure to share that with you all here. I do appreciate the patience with this and the understanding regarding the dealings with the CPSC.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Jun 23, 22 16:10
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mitch,

What do you mean get back to riding? Are we not supposed to be riding them now? I have Mont Tremblant 70.3 this weekend and this is the only Tri bike that I have.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since we are in talks with the CPSC (which is leading to a recall announcement), we are advising that the affected product isn't used until we have a solution.

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Respectfully, you certainly didn't make that clear the first time. Why are you all being so quiet about it? If it shouldn't be ridden, make the announcement loud and clear!
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since we are working with the CPSC, we have strict guidelines to follow and don't want to make an announcement until we have complete details and a solution that meets all the requirements.

TLDR: Government.

Quote Reply

Prev Next