Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The store would have been issued the credit directly, so they can let you use that in-store. Have them reach out if they didn't get that.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time flying with my bike, heading to St. George next week. Have a new Bike Box Alan Aero Easyfit (ish) box. The 2022 SLR7 Speed Concept does not fit (bars too wide).

I need to remove the basebar, should be two screws on the side and one down the headtube right?

Anything else I need to know when I take the headset off the SLR? Tips, Tricks, Hints?

I think I'm going to remove the rear derailleur too, have shims in the disc brakes. tie down and pad everything I can.

links to vids appreciated too, I googled around but must not have been searching for the right terms.
Last edited by: h0mersimps0n: Oct 21, 22 13:55
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [h0mersimps0n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h0mersimps0n wrote:
First time flying with my bike, heading to St. George next week. Have a new Bike Box Alan TT Aero box. The 2022 SLR7 Speed Concept does not fit (bars too wide).

I need to remove the basebar, should be two screws on the side and one down the headtube right?

Anything else I need to know when I take the headset off the SLR? Tips, Tricks, Hints?

I think I'm going to remove the rear derailleur too, have shims in the disc brakes. tie down and pad everything I can.

links to vids appreciated too, I googled around but must not have been searching for the right terms.

So, I just did this to Kona with a 2022 SLR 9 SC in a BB Alan TT box. I think the small or medium might have fit without taking off the base bar, but I needed to do it for the large. It was super smooth. I had to fully remove the one screw on the headtube and the lower two screws on the side, and then I needed to loosen (but not fully remove) the upper two screws on the side. Once all of that was done, the base bar comes off and reinstalls easily. I also removed the rear derailleur, put spacers in the disc brakes, and removed my pedals. And I think that was about that. No muss, no fuss.
Last edited by: proftri: Oct 21, 22 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent! I suspected this but wanted to confirm the SLR bars are so damn wide even on the SMALL frame (I have a small) the bike does not fit in the Aero Easyfit BBA box.

I removed the derailleur, chain, seatpost cage and will remove the base bar tomorrow.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of how you secured everythign would you? I want to bullet proof this pack job so those A-holes that open it up at the airport don't eff my hard work up.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h0mersimps0n wrote:
Excellent! I suspected this but wanted to confirm the SLR bars are so damn wide even on the SMALL frame (I have a small) the bike does not fit in the Aero Easyfit BBA box.

I removed the derailleur, chain, seatpost cage and will remove the base bar tomorrow.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of how you secured everythign would you? I want to bullet proof this pack job so those A-holes that open it up at the airport don't eff my hard work up.

Thanks!
I didn't take any photos, but the BBA box is remarkably simple once you boil it down. There are basically two velcro straps that hold the frame down: one around the chain stay and the other around the fork. Everything else is window dressing and padding you might use to make you feel better. :) It took me just a little while to figure it all out on the trip to Kona. Packing up *after* Kona--exhausted and all--was even easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h0mersimps0n wrote:

Thanks!

Why won’t it fit? I have a medium and I don’t need to remove the base bar. It’s a tight fit but it does fit.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the SLR bars are 40cm wide. Should all fit if Steve’s fits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent over an hour positioning the bike different ways in the box, with derailleur both on and off, removed rear bottle cage, etc. There was no angle, no configuration, no turning/twisting I could use that either the brake handle or aero pads weren't obstructing the box from closing.

I'm a small dude 5'5" with a pretty compact aero setup (aero bars had to be cut because reach was too far). If someone here has managed to fit it I'd believe only when I saw the photos - really frustrating but thankfully I do a lot of my own work on my bikes so it's not a big deal regarding disassembling things- I was just hoping to save a little extra time on both ends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you remove the foam padding in the aero extension area? I figured that extra space might be the game changer (the BBA video by SKY actually shows that foam removed) but I'm not willing to risk putting it in there without the padding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How to break down an SC here - https://www.trekbikes.com/...-concept-fit-travel/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not remove any of the padding. I only remove my RD, pedals, and bts cage. As you are closing the box, I do have to slightly move the frame upwards so the one side of the box sits inside the other (I’m particularly talking about the bottom section). If you don’t do this, then the box won’t close as it will collide with your pads or bars.

What crush poll position are you using on the box? There’s only one option that worked for me.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't change the pole position, didn't interfere with anything for me (remember, small frame)....

Photo of fits perfectly with headset removed (ugh)

photo attached
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a general reply to you Steve since u have had the bike for a while.
For someone like myself with smaller hands, Does anyone find the bars don’t get narrow enough ? I am coming from running a plug in mono in the gen 2, and have used zipp vuka bars which come in narrow to the point where my hands easily touch.
Just wondering if anyone has made up a Ben Kanute like jig and put a little pipe or crossbar of sorts so the hands can overlap Inbetween the bars a bit ?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I find them a bit too wide. The aerobars are my least favorite thing on the bike. Honestly, it was a horrible decision by trek to make the bars proprietary so you can't run any extensions you want. Pretty much every single Trek pro is running aftermarket extensions which tells you how much they like the stock ones. It's not a good look for $10k+ bike. I keep asking Mitch here if they are going to give us the adapter that Sam Long, RVB, and Holly Lawrence are using as that would be a relatively simple and elegant solution that would suit a lot of amateurs. Unfortunately, I don't think its ever going to happen.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe my searching sucks, but has anyone built up a frameset with 11spd DI2? I thought I saw a post a while back. Any issues?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can confirm a large fits in the BBA Easyfit case without taking off basebar. Flew last week to Waco with it. I'm 6'1" with a pretty long reach. Here's what I did:
  • Removed rear derailleur
  • Removed pedals
  • Lowered seat a lot (left xlab cage behind it)
  • Added small pieces of foam (the pieces that pop out of the include foam sheets works perfect) between the ends of the case and the brake levers/rear points of frame.
  • I did not need to reduce the reach of the extensions surprisingly.

It was a tight fit lengthwise but no problem with basebar width. From your photo, I had mine rotated a bit more so that the fork was held in place by the lower velcro strap instead of the higher strap. Hope that helps when you pack it up after this weekend. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Yes I find them a bit too wide. The aerobars are my least favorite thing on the bike. Honestly, it was a horrible decision by trek to make the bars proprietary so you can't run any extensions you want. Pretty much every single Trek pro is running aftermarket extensions which tells you how much they like the stock ones. It's not a good look for $10k+ bike. I keep asking Mitch here if they are going to give us the adapter that Sam Long, RVB, and Holly Lawrence are using as that would be a relatively simple and elegant solution that would suit a lot of amateurs. Unfortunately, I don't think its ever going to happen.

This proprietary extension issue is the only thing that is keeping me from buying the new SC.
As riders we should have more options available instead of less.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iliketri wrote:
maybe my searching sucks, but has anyone built up a frameset with 11spd DI2? I thought I saw a post a while back. Any issues?

Thanks

It shouldn't be an issue. It's really no different than di2 12 speed.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Aerocoach has a base bar adaptor now? But I'm not sure if it works with any third party aero bars or just theirs?

Maybe someone else can confirm a third-party base bar adaptor
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, there are several third-party adaptors. Aerocoach works, Drag2zero works. Revolver might too as well.
The point is why should we spend more than what Trek should make available from the initial release.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agree im hoping at some point they come in with some risers with round holes for lack of a better phrase, attached to the sides. Similar to the giant trinity. Curiously, was the mono plug in available from day dot for the previous gen?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have. Nothing to it really. The only issue is the junction box is inside the compartment in the base bar so you have to remove the cover to charge the battery.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:
I think Aerocoach has a base bar adaptor now? But I'm not sure if it works with any third party aero bars or just theirs?

Maybe someone else can confirm a third-party base bar adaptor

There's a few that work but none are seamless solutions. You have to file/grind off the tabs of the tower bases/spacers to get them to sit flush horizontally.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also found them to be way too wide for me. I came from a narrow Kismet setup with just an aero bottle between my arms. I think the front end setup is great only in theory (adjustability for the masses, potential for front hydration if parts ever come in). In reality, it would never work for my needs though. I took that into my own hands. I have experience from building my own carbon fiber bicycle frame a few years ago so I decided to make my own custom one piece front end. A picture is attached below, still needs further sanding and clear coats. I'll be putting it on the bike sometime next week so will share a lot more photos and details then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm true.

I hope someone from one of those 3D printing websites like Shapeways can make a Trek base bar adaptor then!
Quote Reply

Prev Next