Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
Mitch, I’m worried. I ordered a new Speed Concept back in May. I’ve had the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen Speed Concept and both were a size small. On my current 2nd Gen frame size is a Small with the mid-near stem. I’m 5’7 inches and weigh 165 pounds. I ordered a Small for this bike as well, but I’m worried now.

Trek Factory Racing Pro’s I see on the new version at my height are on Mediums. Ellie Salthouse, Linsey Corbin and Fenella Langridge all seem to be on Mediums and all are between 5’7 and 5’8. Does the frame fit smaller on this bike?

This is my order number I was sent from Trek.

Model: Speed Concept SLR 7
Order: 15160807

Good question! We actually suggest a medium for riders who are between 5'5.7" - 5'9.9". The small is suggested for riders who are between 5'0.6" - 5'5.7". Since you're 5'7", the medium 3rd generation Speed Concept is what we would recommend! If you have your stack and reach numbers, I could cross them with the small to see how you would fit on that bike.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also keep in mind you can order different length cradles for the aerobar for more or less reach.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I am thoroughly confused. Since I raised this question last night, Wheelworxrob who owns a very impressive Trek store in Dublin, Ireland has had his hands on tons of the new Speed Concepts and he said he went from a Large 2nd Gen to a Medium 3rd Gen as the new frames are running slightly larger than the previous model.

His message…..

“Hey Stefan, if anything the new model seems slightly bigger despite the geometry charts saying they’re similar. I’ve ridden a large in the old model and will move down to a medium. Looking at your setup it looks long, you should check to make sure that you’ve enough length in the new model. I’d advise getting a qualified bike fitter to look at sizing for you.”

Rob Cummins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know trek says the max tire for the New speed concept is 25mm front and 28mm rear….

But I’m wondering if anyones put on 28mm on the front and have no issues?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 28 front and rear. Schwalbe Pro One TLR on Zipp 404 Firecrest as well as GP5000 TL on Enve 5.4’s. Plenty of clearance left.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you inspecting? Was the issue the cabling ports on bullhorns or the stem recessed area? I never saw a definitive statement on where the issue was..did I miss that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is where your stack and reach measurements would help - knowing those, we could see where your fit falls for the Speed Concept!

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trek has gone radio silent as they are dealing with the CPSC (which is bound to be fun). I would inspect the whole thing, but I am especially focusing on the port on the bottom of the base bars where the cables go in. Note: this doesn't mean there may not be an issue you can't see. Make your own risk assessment before you decide to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [fatguytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice...thx for sharing the photos. I have struggled a long time figuring out how to get a bottle there.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [mobilehank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really love the new bike. I have now trained for a few months on it and raced an ironman on it. Only change i made was moving to a Dash saddle. Disappointed by the base bar 'don't ride', of course. All my issues have been tiny. The plastic cover that covers the tri bar shifting wires -- those fly off all the time (thought i finally had a bike that didn't need duct tape, lol!). I also don't use the plastic storage system as i can't fit a tube in it(!). Much easier to put spare tire in and co2/tire iron etc in a padded bag on top of it.

Hoping the tri bar h2o system is available soon. Surprised that has taken so long after the bike has been out.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [mobilehank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new BTA bottle arrived at my LBS last week, maybe worth a call if you've already order one
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone see a photo of a bar with the affected spot broken? I don’t mean the one with the bullhorn; one with it broken or cracked where the warranty concern is?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Jk29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hearing mid August at soonest for a solution - anyone got any new updates?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS informed me yesterday that the "Stop sell" request from Trek has been removed as the cause of the original failure has been identified as crash damage related. This means that SC are showing as available to ship in 30 days again. Anyone seen an official communication ?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [GrahamMackie7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If true that would be consistent with what was reported a few pages back. The damage seemed to be from travel.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7764496#p7764496

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But its unfortunate that even the Bike Box Allan is tough enough to protect it??! If BBA can't, no other case/bag can :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I talked to Trek customer service and that's about what they told me. He said if the CPSC approves their (Treks) solution that mid to late August for it to roll out.

Glad I hadn't sold my old TT bike yet.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:
But its unfortunate that even the Bike Box Allan is tough enough to protect it??! If BBA can't, no other case/bag can :(

I just flew with mine in a BBA case over the weekend and didn't have an issue (this is my 3rd trip with the bike and bba case). I use one of the velcro straps to secure the base bars so the bars/front end/fork don't rotate. We'll never know what exactly happened but it's possible TSA could have shifted some things around when they opened up the case and tried to close the case up with the front end misaligned.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [velogator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And once trek replaces the base bar, would it be safe to assume they fully tested it on much heavier load? And is fool proof? Or would we still need to be concerned?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [GrahamMackie7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all, just a heads up that nothing has changed - not sure who "confirmed" this, but it is inaccurate. The Speed Concept base bar is still pending a recall while we are in discussions with the CPSC. Once the CPSC approves what we have presented, we'll have the wheels in motion.

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update Mitch. We appreciate it.

Hoping that Trek's solution/replacement base bar lives up the the high standard and quality we expect and has been thoroughly tested this time. Best.
Last edited by: sigmachi: Jul 26, 22 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [fatguytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my BTA bottle also. Have you figured out how to open the top with using a tool? I must be weak because I can't do it with my fingers! Also, I've yet to figure out a great way to store the hose....
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [LuckyShot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much was the BTA bottle?

I'm still waiting on mine. Not sure why it hasn't showed up as my LBS ordered back in March or April.

The BTA bracket did recently show up for me though. $130 MSRP....

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [JoelArmitage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
additional notification on the Emonda handlebar issues
__

reading through this thread i don't see (could have missed) anymore insights to the the Emonda bars?? I have an EMonda. Anyone have intel?

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Emonda SLR - as you know your LBS is fitting interim bars and stems until replacements arrive. I am told replacements have now started to ship although I don't have a date to swap mine yet (in the UK)
Quote Reply

Prev Next