Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I've seen, the break is happening on the basebar where the hole is for the shifters to go through. Avoid yanking on the bar or your hands on the very end of the bar for big bumps and I'm sure you'll do just fine in your race. Of course you assume the risk.....but if it was me I wouldn't be the least bit worried. Stay aero like you should and you should have no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ā€œMitch@Trek has left the conversationā€
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good incentive to stay aero šŸ˜€

What a horrible PR fiasco this is going to be. My LBS still hasnā€™t mentioned anything to me. So if someone isnā€™t on Slowtwitch theyā€™d have no clue about this. Ridiculous.

And I either ride what I have, arrange for a different bike somehow or cancel my familyā€™s vacation. Awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe retailers were given the go ahead to notify their existing customers today, with additional notification on the Emonda handlebar issues also. I got notification and Iā€™m in Australia, which is usually behind you guys. I have a feeling the resolution isnā€™t going to be very fast.
Last edited by: JoelArmitage: Jun 24, 22 3:15
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [JoelArmitage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m in aus and itā€™s pushed back the bike delivery a month as a result. I have talked to some non sponsored proā€™s on treks and other Insta folk who have no idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My shop was finally informed yesterday. He said 30-45 days (per his conference call) for a resolution....about when my race is....bummer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't work for Trek, but I worked at a company that had a recall, and from my experience, the USA's CPSC is very strict on what can be publicly communicated and when it can be communicated.

(This may explain how customers in different countries get different notifications at different times.)

Riders in the US, don't be mad at the bike company - be mad at the CPSC.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the CPSC?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [ironpo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.cpsc.gov/

Consumer product safety commission.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
https://www.cpsc.gov/

Consumer product safety commission.
Thanks
Iā€™m from Oz so had no idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered first week Dec21 for Early May

Delayed twice now to End Aug22.

Finally told yesterday by Trek retailer about recall and new bars being shipped out.

Shame I will have missed most of season when/if finally arrives.

Got more bike upgrade parts in my office waiting than at a bike shop so bored of waiting : -

1 x DT Swiss Arc1100 Disc Wheel
1 x Sram Red Cassette
1 x Sram Disc Rotor
3 x GT5000s TR tyres
1 x Ceramic Speed OSPW
1 x Ceramic Speed Bottom Bracket
1 x AeroCoach Ascalon SL titanium aerobar extensions
1 x Selle Italia WATT Kit Carbonio Superflow

If anyone can think of anything else to make bike fast/more bling let me know ....

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [boxercass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just glad this issue was addressed relatively early on and before the vast majority of customers get their bikes.

But hopefully Trek fully identified and 100% solved the problems.

Fingers crossed!!
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [boxercass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesnā€™t look like there is much more that can be purchasedā€¦. Only thinking maybe a fast chain for racing - Ceramicspeed UFO to keep on trend with current brands youā€™ve supported.
It will be worth the wait. Iā€™m not sure if a delay on something you havenā€™t received is easier to deal with than something sitting in your shed youā€™re technically not able to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Delay on incoming bike would have been a bit easier. Now there is scrambling to figure out what I can train on/ride for upcoming race late in training cycle. Still a first world problem tho. The new bike is awesome so it is hard to stare at it and not ride it. :)
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced my new SC on 6/26 in Boulder. Before the race, I heard of this impending recall/issue and took it to the Trek dealer where I purchased it. They said they were aware of the issue but that Trek hadn't made any announcements about which bikes/sizes/etc. would be affected. They took a look at my bike and said they didn't see anything wrong so I raced it . . .

I have another race coming up on 7/10 and am debating whether it's foolhardy to race the SC again. What do others think?

The race was a success btw - podium in AG!

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [fatguytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m going to keep riding mine until I get the new bar unless I see any cracking in that area. I have 1600 miles on mine and donā€™t see any so far. Iā€™ll just check it before every ride. I donā€™t feel like the bar will just crack in half without any signs of it beforehand. Thatā€™s just my opinion though. I donā€™t believe anything about when replacements will arrive until itā€™s in my hands.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [TheFever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I'm going to keep riding mine- Musselman or bust!

I suspect the problem is consistent with the photo posted a few pages ago where the tip of the base bar by the brake inserts.

My bet is a bunch of heavier riders on some rough terrain put all their weight on the distal end of these bars by the brakes and cracked them.

For now, I keep my hands as proximal as possible that still allows me to brake and try not to shift my weight on the bars. I only weight 167lbs so I'm not pushing frame weight limits. If I were 220lbs and doing big, rough descents I definitely would NOT ride this bike.

All guess work by all of us but that's my 2c
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea where the actual issue is ?
If itā€™s the end of the bar like itā€™s being discussed here then why is the recall carrying on over to the emonda SLR
My guess itā€™s the issue is in the design/ fabrication of the one piece ā€œstemā€ which must carry over from the emonda to the SC
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The picture was shipping damage, so kind of useless. My understanding is its actually in the underside of the stem area where the open port is for the cables to enter the headtube/frame area. Both designs have similar squarish holes, so may explain why they recalled them both. As someone with one of each of the recalled bikes, looking forward to this getting sorted.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
The picture was shipping damage, so kind of useless. My understanding is its actually in the underside of the stem area where the open port is for the cables to enter the headtube/frame area. Both designs have similar squarish holes, so may explain why they recalled them both. As someone with one of each of the recalled bikes, looking forward to this getting sorted.
Thanks
Yeah Iā€™ve got both the emonda and SC
Still riding both of them , although Iā€™m only 63kg
Not sure that makes any difference though
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [ironpo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I parked the Emonda, as its hilly were I ride so easy to hit 40+ MPH on the downhills. Plus it was used a lot for fast group rides, and I wasn't willing to put others at risk if it failed in the group at speed. All my upcoming Tris are flattish, so inspecting the bar closely before each race, but still using it race day. But my Checkpoint is getting a lot of action lately. . . .
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, Mitch, or anybody else,

Anybody heard any clues or whispers about what the Trek remedy is going to be for this recall? I'm considering a different cockpit for my bike, and my only hesitation is that the recall solution is somehow going to muck with the connection points between the base bar and the towers. It'd be nice to know if it's just going to be a new bar built to different specifications but with identical dimensions and connections.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have complete details, but I do know that we plan to provide an equal replacement - so the SC and Aeolus bar would just be updated structurally.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Mitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Mitch, Iā€™m worried. I ordered a new Speed Concept back in May. Iā€™ve had the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen Speed Concept and both were a size small. On my current 2nd Gen frame size is a Small with the mid-near stem. Iā€™m 5ā€™7 inches and weigh 165 pounds. I ordered a Small for this bike as well, but Iā€™m worried now.

Trek Factory Racing Proā€™s I see on the new version at my height are on Mediums. Ellie Salthouse, Linsey Corbin and Fenella Langridge all seem to be on Mediums and all are between 5ā€™7 and 5ā€™8. Does the frame fit smaller on this bike?

This is my order number I was sent from Trek.

Model: Speed Concept SLR 7
Order: 15160807
Last edited by: TrekGeek: Jul 12, 22 19:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next