Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Curiously, was the mono plug in available from day dot for the previous gen?

That's a great question. I can't recall exactly. The gen 2 was released in July 2013. Doing a quick search of ST shows the first time "mono plug in" was mentioned was about a year later in 2014.

That said, the mono plug in was a very popular on the gen 2. Once it became more well known it was an option you could buy as an extra, it became very hard to source and was often sold out. It's shame Trek didn't anticipate their customers needs for the new sc based on the popularity of the mono plug in with the gen 2.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hmm true.

I hope someone from one of those 3D printing websites like Shapeways can make a Trek base bar adaptor then!

Sounds like a possible job for Yann at:
http://www.custombikexcessories.com

Iā€™d be a buyer!
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After Nearly 12 months finally got new toy.

New saddle & bike fit Wednesday. hope first ride at weekend to see if as fast as people saying.

Took out the palstic tool carrier in frame taped a apple air tag inside frame for little bit more security and put gas tubes & tools in zip lock bag,

Can't believe weight compared to my old SC.

Last edited by: Slowman: Nov 3, 22 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [boxercass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume u mean itā€™s a lot lighter ?

How did you get the aerocoach bars on ? Howā€™s the set up ?
You have high base bars yeh ? And a fair bit of stack, are u a big unit lol?

Lastly is that a dt swiss arc 1100 or whatever it is, disc ? Without decals ? If so how do you find that ? Want to pull the trigger on this as it is much wider than the zipp and accommodates a 28mm tire perfectly apparently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
I assume u mean itā€™s a lot lighter ?

How did you get the aerocoach bars on ? Howā€™s the set up ?
You have high base bars yeh ? And a fair bit of stack, are u a big unit lol?

Lastly is that a dt swiss arc 1100 or whatever it is, disc ? Without decals ? If so how do you find that ? Want to pull the trigger on this as it is much wider than the zipp and accommodates a 28mm tire perfectly apparently.

Yes a lot lighter than old SC.

Yep base bars are high (i'm only 6ft), but got neck issues so can't get that low hence why had to go for different bars, non factory bars. Not ridden it yet as fitting is on Wednesday and waiting for few bits to help with fitting.

Yep disc is DT Swiss 110 Arc got Tubeless 28mm tyres on it. When looking for Disc wheel I know a someone who as the Dt Swiss and they were singing it's praise. Didn't realise how difficult it was to get hold of though.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [boxercass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boxercass wrote:
After Nearly 12 months finally got new toy.

New saddle & bike fit Wednesday. hope first ride at weekend to see if as fast as people saying.

Took out the palstic tool carrier in frame taped a apple air tag inside frame for little bit more security and put gas tubes & tools in zip lock bag,

Can't believe weight compared to my old SC.

I have been struggling to fit the repair kit in the provided plastic tool box. Do you mind sharing some pictures on how you managed to do that by removing the plastic insert?
Best regards!
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For anyone interested. I put an additional 7 degree wedge to get the bars to 21 deg and higher hands. Worked out pretty well.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My between the arms bottle finally came in, so thought I would see if anyone here is interested in my interim setup.

Itā€™s the between the arms bracket, along with the torpedo cage, bottle, and gps mount. Was a lifesaver during Ironman California.

If so, send me a message. Donā€™t care too much about price if itā€™s a reasonable offer and will go to good use.

https://bashify.io/images/1ylN6Q
https://bashify.io/images/eBujyC
Last edited by: Jerrodr: Nov 13, 22 7:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my bike last week and trying to get the fit dialed in and my custom front end solution working.

1st question: anyone having major problems with seat post slippage. I have carbon paste and it is torqued to spec with a torque wrench. I can't get more than 30 minutes on the trainer before it just slips down. Am I doing something wrong? Any known issue with the seatpost clamp?

working on getting the wattshop/D2Z extension hack that Tim O'Donnell uses dialed in, but still getting a bit of play in the towers. Need to figure out why.

First thoughts:
Iso speed is weird on the trainer, kept thinking the bike wasn't clamped in, but I can see how it will feel great on the road
Bike is significantly lighter than my felt IA FRD Disc
Much easier to work on than 1st and 2nd gen speed concepts. I had both

https://www.strava.com/athletes/773280
http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/
teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IM_Roycer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
1st question: anyone having major problems with seat post slippage. I have carbon paste and it is torqued to spec with a torque wrench. I can't get more than 30 minutes on the trainer before it just slips down. Am I doing something wrong? Any known issue with the seatpost clamp?
I've had persistent issues with seat post slippage. My Trek shop has worked on it a few different times. They just took the whole seat post assembly apart a couple of weeks ago and then reassembled it, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I asked a few months ago on this thread if anybody else was having issues, and it didn't seem like anybody was.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IM_Roycer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canā€™t help with the slippage but have had mine for a day only!
And yes I was suprised how light it was esp compared to the second gen speed concept.

I had my bike fit copied over but somehow the shop mech made my tilt 14 degrees instead of 7. It feels ā€˜okā€™ but a fair bit different to the 7 Iā€™m used to.
If I wanted to change to 7 all I have to do is take the top part (both aerobar sections) off and two bolts that go downwards into the tower, remove the angled spacer and replace with flat ones, is this correct ? I read you didnā€™t need to recable bike so Iā€™m hoping there is enough cable slack within the tower topper or somewhere so I can pull the top part off without taking extensions off seperate to the arm pad bars etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
I had my bike fit copied over but somehow the shop mech made my tilt 14 degrees instead of 7. It feels ā€˜okā€™ but a fair bit different to the 7 Iā€™m used to.
If I wanted to change to 7 all I have to do is take the top part (both aerobar sections) off and two bolts that go downwards into the tower, remove the angled spacer and replace with flat ones, is this correct ? I read you didnā€™t need to recable bike so Iā€™m hoping there is enough cable slack within the tower topper or somewhere so I can pull the top part off without taking extensions off seperate to the arm pad bars etc?

Correct. The tower toppers come 7 deg tilt built in. The 7 deg spacer makes it 14 deg. You don't need to touch the extension bolts that slide the extensions fore/aft. Remove the extension base (2 bolts each side with the dogbone washer) to get to the tower toppers. Loosen the tower topper bolts and once you have enough room, you should be able to remove the 7 deg spacer. You may have to fully remove the tower topper bolts though. Insert 5 mm flat spacer, tighten everything back up. There are slots in the spacers to slide the cable inside the spacer so you don't have to recable the bike. You shouldn't have any issues with cable length (assuming you are talking about electronic here). Worst case scenario and I doubt you will have to do this, but remove the cover on the underside of the basebar where your jb/blip box is. That's where all the cables route to.

Be careful tightening up the extension base to not pinch any wires.

Service manual is always super helpful:

https://retailerassetsprd.blob.core.windows.net/...ZzABYHTFInUlT%2Fo%3D

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the weight of the new one? The old one is likely 20-21 pounds, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you have to order another 7 degree spacer?

This is cool to know!

Would you think it's possible to get up to 51 degrees like a 51 speed shop by just adding more?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:
Did you have to order another 7 degree spacer?

This is cool to know!

Would you think it's possible to get up to 51 degrees like a 51 speed shop by just adding more?

Yes I ordered additional 7 deg spacers. So I'm running 2x 7 deg spacers + tower topper = 21 deg on each side.

No I don't think you could add more, The holes wouldn't end up lining up for the screws. And that would put your pads at 51 deg angle which doesn't seem safe or comfortable. With my 21 deg setup and the ski bend extensions, the angle from top of my pads to the tips of the extensions are about 50 deg shown in my pictures.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Champion Steve, thank you

Posted mine below. 14 degree is double my norm like I said so may change but will see how I go. Have the computer mount and normal bta to run your own bottles on order.
Also I agree that spares holder is useless. Stuffed spares in the frame in a baggie, bottle on top.
Last edited by: IamSpartacus: Nov 14, 22 17:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the stock aero bar setup, BUT I would like to try use xLab Torpedo instead of the Trek BTA.

Has anyone here found a way to do this? Pics would be great

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7731923#p7731923

PM me if interested in purchasing or want further details. Trek also has an offering to mount a standard bottle cage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As posted above trek have a standard bottle holder - I ordered one as well waiting to arrive
Part number is (W5284485)
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
Mitch:

Do you have a timetable when the public will be able to buy whatever adapter some of the pros are using to run different extensions? Rudy Von Berg's bike is an example. He seems to believe it will be available soon...correct?

Ordered P1 SLR 9 with DA eta 210 days

Thank you!

Negative, it is still TBD and something we're evaluating. If I had to guess (and be a little vague, it would be Spring 2022).

Just read the whole thread as I am considering the new Speed Concept. Not sure if I missed it, but I have not seen any news about Trek making an adapter available yet. Does Trek actually make the adapter being used by those pro triathletes riding other extensions? If so, it does seem odd (to me anyway) that Trek would make a part that arguably provides a performance advantage for some but then not make it available to all - is it a liability thing?

Just wondering - for people wishing strongly for the adapter - what does the stock Trek cockpit not do that you would prefer to change? Are most hoping to ride super extensions without grinding anything down (drag2zero, aerocoach, etc) or looking for more angle (I think max stock is 14 degrees?) or trying to change arms cups to TriRig scoops or something else? Is the basebar design also such that it is not possible currently to swap for a different design that would provide more flexibility on choice of extensions?

Thanks for any thoughts
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AFAIK adapters seem to vary from shims that are custom made, aerocoach makes some I believe as well as a few other brands.
Reason for change - prob a few here. The angles are 0, 7 or 14, nothing Inbetween or higher. The pads have 4 holes in the corner so pad movement is limited by moving the ā€˜bar cradleā€™ for/aft. There is also limits based on where you have your bars set up because they can Intefere with the pads themselvesā€¦. Lastly, the stock aerobars are ski tips and set quite a bit apart. Nothing like the mono bars of the previous gen where you could drive a bus through, but if you have small hands you canā€™t keep them together and close the gap. Even with big hands you prob couldnā€™t, Iā€™m not sure. There are some that also complain that the ski tip itself is rather short - there is only a small surface area to wrap your hands around. It needs to be taller. Some would prefer something like the zipp vuka sort of high s bend etc, but instead your stuck wit two fists punching into the wind. Now I love the adjustability of the two aerobar sections, so Iā€™m not sure what trek can do here. The plug in on the previous gen was a simple work around. This gen seems it would be a bit harder perhaps, unless you want to ditch the whole set up like the pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I dislike that I canā€™t get my hands higher and closer together on the stock setup. And adapter that gives the ability to run any round extensions I want, solves that problem for me. Sam Long and RVB have some kind of adapters that allow them to run 51ss extensions. My understanding is that was custom made for them by trek. Skye Moench had the adapter at one point earlier this season but she seems to have swapped to an aero coach solution since. If you want to run a d2z, wattshop, etc, it requires grinding off some ā€œnubsā€ on the trek spacers so things sit flush. They arenā€™t exactly seamless solutions and the aesthetics arenā€™t the best. Personally, Iā€™d prefer not to do that. Itā€™s frustrating that trek provided the mono plug-in solution on the previous bike which was very popular but they donā€™t have a similar solution for the new bike. It goes to show that trek isnā€™t listening to their customer base.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So we actually have created custom solutions for our athletes - which we do in many disciplines. However, it has to go through a ton of approvals and testing before being sold to consumers. Setting up manufacturing to make parts is also a long process too. Currently, it is just one fella who designs the custom parts for these athletes, which some he does by himself without the aid of the prototype lab from my understanding. Our product team certainly hears the feedback that some riders want more adjustability, but this change or addition isn't something we will see right away.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Our product team certainly hears the feedback that some riders want more adjustability, but this change or addition isn't something we will see right away.

I get these things take time and you are just the messenger.

The bike was released over a year ago. I think we are well past ā€œright awayā€. The mono plug in on gen 2 was available about a year after gen 2 was released. Seems only fitting the gen 3 bike followed suit, donā€™t you think? Even just an acknowledge that trek is working on something that will be brought to mass consumers would be highly beneficial before we fork out more money on a $10k+ bike for 3rd party custom solutions.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2 and Ofcourse Mitch we def not directing that at you, but me and my little arms and hands, you can drive a truck through those bars šŸ¤£
Quote Reply

Prev Next