Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
looks like they are taking cues from Specialized... aka maybe not as aero, but much better torsional stiffness..
Blech! I still remember where the venge came out and it showed it was faster than the shiv. Guess you could look at it two ways, the Venge was that good or the Shiv was that bad. I sure hope they prioritized aero. Sorry, I get triggered by that damn venge/shiv comparison even thought it seems like Specialized does so many things top notch.

Seems like top tube storage would be a no-no with that stem configuration there, right? Rear fin for sure then?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [The Red Baron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm underwhelmed, but maybe there is some aero magic there I'm not seeing. Hoping we don't have to wait until September and the pre-Kona training ride photo leaks to see the non-UCI tri version.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adjustable length, but no way to rotate the “ski pole”. They are angled, but it looks like additional Angle adjustability would require a different piece for the bar riser interface. They would probable work well for 90% of the target population, but I am sure Wattshop will be busy making a mounting system for their bars.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Looks like custom extensions.

https://www.velonews.com/...iterium-du-dauphine/

Looks like there is a wide range of pad adjustability. They still have the aluminum bar sticking out...last pic (near elbow).
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top tube reminds me of the old TTX.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Interesting to see the departure from the really wide fork crown. I find it funny that aerodynamicist s don’t seem to be able to make up their minds on whether that is a good idea. Maybe it was a design feature that was particularly relevant for the TriSpoke (the WT pictures for the original SC had a HED TriSpoke).

The one feature I can’t make out is whether the downtube fairs the water bottle area. My gen 2 SC is super slow with water bottles and Ronald Kuba’s testing found no aero bottle worked well. I guess bike companies have probably come to the conclusion that hydration is for the Tri crowd.

I like the new bar arrangement. The old stem/riser arrangement was great for fitting a wide range of people, but all that cast aluminum made for a heavy bike and modifications were difficult.

Another interesting design feature would be wiring. I am pretty sure they won’t offer a version for cable shifting, but with Shimano looking at wireless there doesn’t seem to be a need for fiddling with internal wiring anymore.

Now what would be really interesting would be another WT shootout with the best of the old-school rim brake bikes against the new disc bikes.

reportedly, shimano is looking at semi-wireless, not a full wireless setup, so there will still be a need for "fiddling with" that, plus you would still have to run brake lines to the front and rear. If you're doing that, then running di2 wires isn't really any extra effort (from a frame design perspective).

Shimano coming out with semi wireless sounds like just pushing out new product for its own sake ?

Surely it's wireless or not ?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Interesting to see the departure from the really wide fork crown. I find it funny that aerodynamicist s don’t seem to be able to make up their minds on whether that is a good idea. Maybe it was a design feature that was particularly relevant for the TriSpoke (the WT pictures for the original SC had a HED TriSpoke).

The one feature I can’t make out is whether the downtube fairs the water bottle area. My gen 2 SC is super slow with water bottles and Ronald Kuba’s testing found no aero bottle worked well. I guess bike companies have probably come to the conclusion that hydration is for the Tri crowd.

I like the new bar arrangement. The old stem/riser arrangement was great for fitting a wide range of people, but all that cast aluminum made for a heavy bike and modifications were difficult.

Another interesting design feature would be wiring. I am pretty sure they won’t offer a version for cable shifting, but with Shimano looking at wireless there doesn’t seem to be a need for fiddling with internal wiring anymore.

Now what would be really interesting would be another WT shootout with the best of the old-school rim brake bikes against the new disc bikes.

reportedly, shimano is looking at semi-wireless, not a full wireless setup, so there will still be a need for "fiddling with" that, plus you would still have to run brake lines to the front and rear. If you're doing that, then running di2 wires isn't really any extra effort (from a frame design perspective).

Shimano coming out with semi wireless sounds like just pushing out new product for its own sake ?

It’s 12 speed and there are wires from the battery (in the seat tube) to the fd and rd. The road shifters are wireless. Not sure what the tt setup looks like yet.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Wonder what the 0:00 time stamp is?

Maybe the time difference between the new SC and the old SC?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:

LOL
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang I was hoping for some of the newer style extension. With no gap between the extension and the arms.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
The Red Baron wrote:
Doesn't look anything radically new but i like it

if it aint broke dont fix it!

it's surely slower

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

Part of the reason I have a fit business is because of the dynamic between UCI rules, industry inertia, LBS old school non-wisdom, and people unable to get comfortable. The ideal TT bike IMO is slightly longer generally than people think and UCI rules allow, especially for taller athletes.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it me or does it look like a 2010 Speed Concept but with disc brakes?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really hoping there's a totally different frame for tri, as there doesn't seem to be any easy way to integrate hydration, bento, or a draft box on that frame.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Adjustable length, but no way to rotate the “ski pole”. They are angled, but it looks like additional Angle adjustability would require a different piece for the bar riser interface. They would probable work well for 90% of the target population, but I am sure Wattshop will be busy making a mounting system for their bars.

Way too early to judge, but based on these photos I'm not happy with it at all. Adjusting height, width, tilt of the front end looks more like a 20min affair than a 30second affair, which means whoever uses it will never find their optimal position on this bike. And it *looks*, if anything, slower than the gen 2. Those are two big strikes against it. Let's wait and see what the actual release bike is though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

It is going to have some wires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:

AXS also has wires...
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
I'm really hoping there's a totally different frame for tri, as there doesn't seem to be any easy way to integrate hydration, bento, or a draft box on that frame.

The new Speedmax really nails this in my opinion. It looks more or less like a sleek TT bike even with nutrition, hydration, and storage integrated out of sight. Just unclear how it tests aero wise. Looking forward to the non-UCI Speed Concept and seeing some testing of the two.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:

Did lol
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be quite happy if it was no faster than my current SC, as then I wouldn't need to spend another 8k on a bike. But I'm pretty sure it will be a few watts faster as there's no other reason Trek would have waited so long to release a disc brake TT bike.

But also I won't get one unless the non-UCI bike has significantly better integration.

I really hope their white paper has drag/yaw plots of the old SC, new SC (UCI and non-UCI), new Scott Plasma, P5, and new Canyon. As everyone else is just saying we are 100 watts faster than our old bike, which doesn't really help consumers at all when choosing between bikes. But I guess they'll only release something like that if their new bike is stellar.
Last edited by: Cajer: Jun 2, 21 17:24
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
I'd be quite happy if it was no faster than my current SC, as then I wouldn't need to spend another 8k on a bike. But I'm pretty sure it will be a few watts faster as there's no other reason Trek would have waited so long to release a disc brake TT bike.

With Trek’s track record on rim vs. disc, one shouldn’t be so sure (see Madone rim vs Madone disc)
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every brands track record of rim vs disc, unless they didn't have a good rim bike.
All the claims of massive improvement are just catching it up to the 2012 standard of the leaders

Interesting that it looks like it will have good x adjustment, but Z is a bit primitive. Assuming different angled versions of the bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though that was not a new frame design. It was more let's slap discs on it and see how little we can change our molds as they are expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree fit is crucial on this one, considering how, once stack height is established, the mono on the current sc is good for fit range
Quote Reply

Prev Next