Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [keepdrilling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, sorry to hear your frustration, but big breath and it will all be alright. All bikes have their quirks that you need to get to know. My road bike, a cannondale synapse has an odd bottom bracket that can make fitting non factory chainsets a pain. My SC has replaced my old argon which despite having had for 12 years, I still used to forget and inflate the tyres then try to put into the frame to remember that the inflated tyres are too wide to go past the brakes and there was no quick release. Very annoying in a race when you'd used CO2.... Equally first 2 years I was using it the extension bar would work loose. This despite being fitted to spec.

Re the issues with the SC. I did read all 55 pages 5 months ago before ordering, and so yep I was aware of the issue with the rear wheel. I had in my mind semi recollected it was more of an issue with SRAM than Shimano, or DA than Ultegra, but either way I've worked it out now, so a non issue. In your case with the skewer, I'm really sure there is going to be a knack to that for you, and once you've round it then you'll be gold.

Re the bars - only an issue if you are looking to modify the standard setup. And nowadays to varying degrees that same applies to almost all the bikes. In part, the definition of custom means that some degree of inginuity/engineering is going to be required. These 'superbikes' are designed and sold as whole packages (for right or wrong).
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a lovely bike!
Theoretically....could you use the ascalon adapters and mount some sort of universal pole adapter? I guess this lends itself to using arm cups with a lot of holes to create more fit options for fore/aft etc. Was just trying to get away with not being forced to use the whole ascalon bars and kit due to $.
Trek you suck with this, hit us with an adaptor of some sort already
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed... they mentioned a long time ago that an adapter was in the works plus you see it on a few bikes now (Sam Long, Rudy Von Berg). A quick little fix that would alleviate a lot of people's headaches with this bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those Aerocoach adapters are really nice and look like OEM. That being said, I suspect the bolt spacing is specific to their bars, not to mention that the holes are unthreaded. You screw the extensions from the bottom, threading into the extensions).

Best bet is to take the original Trek towers or 5mm spacers, grind away the small studs sticking out, then fit one of the universal pole clamps. I think buried in this thread are a few ones mentioned to work with the bike once the top of the tower or spacer is flat, if I remember well.. Maybe try to find out which adapter Sam Long is using.

[edit - found one reference to a D2Z one..] https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7714010#p7714010

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Last edited by: spocket: Mar 5, 24 4:50
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent thank you
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a reply to Mitch if he still checks these threads …. Has there been any progression on a front end change ? I’d even settle for the same bars to insert back into the cradle but have a narrower profile at the ski tips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of interest how narrow do you want to go? Genuine question, I've only been on mine for 5 hours riding now, and I'm adjusting from old style straight forward (flat) extensions). But now I've changed the rotation of my hands to sit inside rather than be wrapped around/under, my hands are touching. Just wondering if there has been a change, I've got freak platters instead of hands, or if I'm holding the bars wrongly.

But one of the issues I had in the initial ride was my fingers hitting the Garmin 530.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Out of interest how narrow do you want to go? Genuine question, I've only been on mine for 5 hours riding now, and I'm adjusting from old style straight forward (flat) extensions). But now I've changed the rotation of my hands to sit inside rather than be wrapped around/under, my hands are touching. Just wondering if there has been a change, I've got freak platters instead of hands, or if I'm holding the bars wrongly.

But one of the issues I had in the initial ride was my fingers hitting the Garmin 530.

I like the hands to be touchy touchy / overlap…I’m coming from vuka bars with an inward roll.
I have littlish mitts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I couldn't see your picture, or work out how to take a photo with both hands.

But do these look the same as yours?
Last edited by: Duncan74: Mar 5, 24 19:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep they are the same. Too wide for what I normally run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek is going through a major restructuring at HQ right now, so not sure Mitch is even around anymore. I doubt a custom adaptor is on their priority list anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Working on my new setup

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Mar 8, 24 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't wait to see the final result!
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he's still posting / supporting on the trek-bikes reddit, but no longer on here. Which is a shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep keen to see step by step ! And if your locked into using the whole drag2zero kit or can use a few peices and run your own bars and pads etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here it is in 'training' setup for hydration. Also popped on the shallow CLXII front wheel, pleased to note absolutely no issue with any brake rub, so that's convenient.

3 hour ride outside this morning after making some changes to the setup on the trainer.

1) Flipped the saddle clamp to forward position as it was way too far back. Interestingly that's not anything you specify on the ProjectOne build but was a bit of a mission to work out how to do it (need to remove the saddle mount cylinder to get to a 'hidden' bolt).
2) Fitted new (sitero) saddle. Actually this may not have been needed as in reality as the saddle was too far back that was making it seem wider. Also I thought this was what I had on the old bike but in reality it was a Specialized power saddle. So will see how I go, but based on today 3 hours and no issues.
3) Seat post up again - I thought it came from the shop too high, but in reality was right height but too far back. So now forward then I moved it back up.
4) Changed mapping of the autoshift to reduce the default cross chaining I didn't like.
5) Slid the front end back 1cm.
6) Have the ceegee race pads on it.

So after today's ride I feel way happier. 3 hours and was down on bars most of that time and had no issues at all. Felt very confident by the end (was a bit nervous on way out - didn't wan't to fall and scratch the paint.

Things still to sort
1) BTS is a rocket launcher. I'd had to compromise the bottle position as the sitero has a gook that is fouling where I'd want the bottle. Now found that I can take that hook off so can angle better. Also need to tighten the cage.
2) More fiddling with shift mapping. Better but on the way up need to change from back 3 to back 2 shifts.
3) Arm cups - I found I was struggling to find the cup and was putting my elbow on the inside of the cup. So may move the cups in a bit. Found it was fine in terms of supporting my on the outside though.
4) BTA hydration - struggled to use this today. Used to the stiffer 'permanently up' straw of torhans, and the suck valve on the Trek one seemed hard to open fully when riding. May just need more practice or some fiddling with how much straw is inside vs outside.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still some work to do. Haven't mounted the BTA solution yet and need to get fit right before cutting anything.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Mar 11, 24 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow... that's the cleanest setup I've seen yet I think! It looks great.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an issue fitting my medium frame size Speed concept Disc into my Bike BoxAlan. The base bar handle doesn’t allow the box to fully close . I have to remove the whole base bar.

Does anyone have this issue as well? Any other way to get it to fit without removing the whole base bar?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that the ‘Triathlon EasyFit ‘ version of the BikeBoxAlan?
Do you have picture(s) showing the issue?

I have a medium SC and the EasyFit box, but I have not tried to fit the bike in it yet. I just went to AZ w the box but I brought my Gen 2 SC. No air travel race using the new SC till the fall.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:
I have an issue fitting my medium frame size Speed concept Disc into my Bike BoxAlan. The base bar handle doesn’t allow the box to fully close . I have to remove the whole base bar.

Does anyone have this issue as well? Any other way to get it to fit without removing the whole base bar?

Thanks

I don’t think it will fit. My wife’s SC SLR size small barely fits with bars on and RD removed. A friend with a SC SLR size Large has to take the bars off.

I don’t see the SC basebar as a particularly aggressive position. But it appears that the combo off basebar bullhorn length, plus the hydro brifters, really push the entire frame back. For comparison, another friend’s Canyon Speedmax in Size 58 fits in the box with bars mounted! I’ll have a chance to compare his bike to my wife’s next week and see where the difference is. From photos it appears the speedmax bullhorn position is further back relative to the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a medium and the the low rise tt bars and it fits no problem. What base bar do you have?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Aero EasyFit BBA.

My base bar is the high-rise one, maybe that's why it doesn't fit??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey... are you able to get additional reach with that setup? Any idea what the maximum additional reach you could get would be? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah the angle probably doesn’t play nice with the base bar slot in the case.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next